Black Women : Feminism, How To Know If You Are A Slave, & OOW Births

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Liberty, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,214
    This Thread Has Been Jacked.

As family dynamics and gender roles continue to evolve, it still seems readily assumed that the primary caretaker in a household will be a woman—regardless of whether we work full-time, part-time or not outside the home at all.

The Facts

In most cases this assumption still holds true, in fact over 66% of all caretakers are female regardless of our work status. Simultaneously, however, there is another role for women that continues to evolve and gain traction as a growing trend—the rise of female breadwinners.

A study from the Pew Research Center reported that over 40% of all households with children under the age of 18 were led by a woman as the sole or primary breadwinner. This creates a sticky predicament considering acceptance and normalcy has yet to be established on the subject. Conversations in articles and books continue to develop on how to mitigate the threatened feelings and egos of men faced with the reality of female breadwinners.

Read more

http://www.blackenterprise.com/billboard/female-breadwinners/

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. Babasola

Babasola Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +220

I agree. Sisters should ask for what they're not getting

3. sekou kasimu

sekou kasimu PanAfrikanist Revolutionary MEMBER

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Really? You should hurry up and read those books I recommended for you and your son! Smile The women's liberation movement was a white female thing that continues to separate us!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disrespectful Disrespectful x 1
    • List
  4. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,214
    I don't see the relevance of women's liberation to the topic at hand. Are you assuming that a woman who makes a good salary must be a feminist? I don't see the link. Are you offended by successful women?

5. sekou kasimu

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +864
    You will see the relevance after you do some research into our history and culture! Lol White women recruited black women into "their" struggle for liberation from the kitchen and bedroom, and thereby divided black men and women even more. That is not our struggle. Ours is a struggle for liberation from white domination by white men, and women. Successful? How do you define success? No I am not offended by "successful" women. I feel sorry for them because I know that they have to sell their soul to the devil, to be successful in the white man's system!!! Apparently you don't have a problem with black men being marginalized and emasculated. I do!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • True True x 1
    • Disrespectful Disrespectful x 1
    • List
  6. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,214
    GTFOOH!!!!

7. sekou kasimu

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Meaning what exactly?

8. Liberty

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,214
    Meaning, you don't know half as much as you think. Meaning most of your posts are off base. Yet, you think you are schooling somebody.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  9. Chaya Chaim

Chaya Chaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +269

The Catholic, Islam and Christianity religions demean women, black men and black women were designed to be equals in everything it's called soulmates for a reason:D:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    My opinion: I strongly do not believe that Black women have been co-opted by or have fallen prey to the white woman's feminist perspective. Have attempts been made by white women to persuade Black women to join their cause to free themselves of male oppression? Yes. But Black women are not stupid or gullible enough to advocate for their equal rights by alienating herself from Black men or trying to laud power over them. Black women KNOW, at the end of the day, although women, they are also Black and white women do not advocate for their rights as Black people and therein lies a very big problem, thus feminist rhetoric delivered by white women is lost on Black women--again, in my opinion.

Social and religious prescribed roles based on gender...might work for some but not for me.

Having said that, back to topic.

According to The African-American Labor Force in the Recovery, although this is 2011-12 data, it supports what sister Liberty is saying but even still, the employment situation for Blacks overall lags compared to people of other races.

"Blacks are the only racial or ethnic group for whom women represent a larger share of the employed than do men--more than half (53.8 percent) of employed Blacks in 2011 were women, compared to 46.0 percent among employed Whites." But Black men, don't get upset over this because, "...employed Black women still earn less than employed Black men--Black women earn roughly $0.91 to every dollar earned by Black men." "While the wage gap among Blacks is smaller than that for Whites, this is largely driven by the fact that African-American men face lower wages compared to men in other race groups in the economy."

Read the article and you will see, as I did, this is not a gender issue...this is a Black community issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List