Black Women : Female Genital Mutilation Discussion

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by newspirit, Jun 1, 2009.

1. newspirit

newspirit Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I do writing for a living and I came across some interesting resources that I thought the community might want. They are below.

Female Genital Mutilation in Ghana

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/5681.php

Main Category: Public Health
    Article Date: 04 Feb 2004 - 0:00 PDT

Find other articles on: "Ghana fgm"

ACCRA (Ghana) - Ghanaian women's rights groups have called for stronger laws against female genital mutilation (FGM) following two landmark rulings in northern Ghana against the traditional practice.

The Ghanaian Association for Women's Welfare (GAWW) has demanded that parents who allow their daughters to have their clitoris and sometimes other parts of their vagina removed by amateur surgeons should be liable for punishment, as well as those who actually perform the cuts.

The Ghana chapter of the International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) has meanwhile called for stiffer penalties to be imposed on those who carry out the traditional operation.

Image of African Countries Affected by FGM:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&prev=/images?q=fgm&gbv=2&hl=en&safe=off&sa=G

* This is NOT an affiliate link.

Let's discuss three issues:

1) How do African Americans stop this evil practice
    2) What causes this evil practice? Is it due to a lack of sisterhood? Cultural arrogance? Patriarchy, (where men rule)?
    3) And for women who are victims of FGM how do they enjoy sex enough to continue populating the black race.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    define evil.....

3. newspirit

newspirit Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not condemning a person's culture but when someone is mutilating body parts I define that as evil.

James, would you want someone cutting off the head of your penis? That's about the equivalent according to those in the medical community.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

jamesfrmphilly, FGM is evil, do you agree?

And Sister Warriors, my apologies for abruptly engaging in on this somewhat specific concern to Sisters....Peace In my sister friends.

5. newspirit

newspirit Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    You have no need to apologize. Male opinions are needed because I believe this is a issue affecting them too.

Imagine if you dated an African girl who had FGM. And imagine further if she was connected to her culture. Would you condone that practice on your daughter? And how would you satisfy her even if she didn't condone it?

If African Americans are promoting black love with Africans this is something they need to think about.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and the Family!

newspirit,

You are absolutely correct, men are affected by this action, and your very name, newspirit, is welcome intrinsically, for real. In other words, you are a breath of fresh air that we need to breathe, and please, do not allow the naysayers to bother you.

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    1. African Americans nor any other people will stop ever completely stop this practice because it will not ever be instilled as being "wrong" in the minds of all the cultures which practice it. In African countries where it is forbidden, the families still find a way around that by traveling to other countries and have it done there.

2. FGM is culturally ingrained.

3. Not all African women see themselves as "victims" of FGM. The practice is viewed as a rite of passage into womanhood. Those who rebuff/resist the procedure are shunned and considered less than "real" women. And, of course we know that sexual satisfaction is not necessary for impregnation. So, the woman's sexual pleasure is not a factor for reproduction.

Now, no, I don't agree with the practice.

However, another culture could just as easily say that circumcision is "evil." Yet, many African Americans have their sons subjected to this procedure shortly after birth. ----Is this "evil?"

8. newspirit

newspirit Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the videos, cherry. That was very informative.

However, I STRONGLY disagree with the notion that a woman's sexual pleasure doesn't affect reproduction.

It is known that if a woman orgasms the sperm enters into the uterus faster. It also known that if a woman has NO desire she won't want sex at all. And no sex = no black babies.

Now, as far as circumcision for men I DON'T agree with that either. To me, there's no reason to mutiliate a man either. Some men actually lose their whole penis in accidents.

But even still with a circumcision men keep their sexual pleasure even if it's diminished. With FGM a female retains NO pleasure.

In my humble opinion I think women need to free themselves of the notion that sex doesn't matter. It does.

9. newspirit

newspirit Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh, also as far as the culturally ingrained the best way to fight that is through videos and ads doing the following:

1) Explaining how FGM victims can retain spiritual pleasure from their sex acts or even physical pleasure if they have a vagina
    2) Explaining that a woman's sexual desire is from GOD and not from the devil
    3) Stop comparison between male circumcision

10. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    But, a woman "wanting" sex also does not factor into her duty to satisfy her mate.

So "wanting" it and still giving it up out of "wifely duties" is not the same nor does it decrease reproduction.

If she didn't have a choice in the female circumcision, then, it would stand to reason, she'd have no choice in sex. If she said, "No" to sex, would she not be possibly be beaten and raped anyway? Would not the society at-large also support the husband in his "rights" as a husband?

So, IMO, in these cultures, as for female sexual pleasure and reproduction, the two are not compatible.