Nigeria : Female Genital Mutilation Banned In Nigeria

Female Circumcision Comes to America

Performed by new immigrants, veiled in deference to a cultural tradition of the developing world, female circumcision is becoming an American problem

IT is a late-summer night, nearly midnight in Washington, D.C., when the taxicab comes for Mimi Ramsey. She steps into it with a worried look in her eyes and her mouth firmly set. She is on her way to yet another stranger's house, where she will again—for the umpteenth time in the past year—talk about the most personal and most secret of African customs, offering herself as a sort of human roadblock in the traffic of tradition.

At the house Ramsey is kissed on both of her cheeks by her hostess, an Ethiopian immigrant like herself, and ushered into a dimly lit living room decorated with rugs and cloths from their homeland. There she spends the next several hours huddled together with the young mother, Genat, talking in conspiratorial whispers.

"Mother says she will do it anyway, herself—when I'm out of the house—if I don't agree to get it done soon," Genat confides to the woman she hopes will help her. "She says she will take a razor blade and do it." Ramsey nods. She has heard this story many times before, and responds by reciting a long list of reasons why the older woman must be stopped, trying to give Genat the courage to buck tradition and disobey her mother. "You cannot let her do this to your child. Please. It is wrong. You know how painful it is. How damaging. Your daughter may hate you for life for what you allow to happen to her."

Read more @
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1995/10/female-circumcision-comes-to-america/306051/

The Big Roundtable

Damage

By
Mariya Karimjee

January 14, 2015

femaleGenital.png

When I was younger, someone took a knife to my clitoris and cut out a small but significant part of me. I blamed my mother. I despised her. I loved her.

Washington D.C., July 2010

The first and only time I had sex it did not go well. I was twenty-two, a late bloomer by most of popular culture’s standards, and for the year my boyfriend and I had been dating, we’d skirted around the issue. He’d repeated that he was willing to wait, however long it might take me to be ready, and I’d chafed at his understanding.

“Don’t you want me?” I asked after another false start, our breathing heavy. He rolled off me gently, panting. “It didn’t seem like you wanted it,” he replied. He was right. I’d clenched every muscle in my thighs and squeezed my eyes shut when his hand climbed above my knee. That’s when he stopped. For the next two days he was rewarded for his patience by my unwillingness to kiss him back.

I couldn’t explain the crawls that I felt every single time he touched me in the wrong place, or understand the debilitating anger that I felt when he nodded understandingly after I told him I needed a pause. He’d had girlfriends before and I badgered him endlessly about their sexual experiences. He answered all of my questions patiently, never once lying.

Read more at http://www.thebigroundtable.com/stories/damage/#JIPxf7SdstGD2BLH.99

some "cultures" need to change.......

Yes. And, just when we feel comfortable saying "that's them over there", it becomes us over here. I don't know if you have children. But, imagine if this were your daughter and you grand daughter.... This is a true story. Right here in the USA. An African-American woman comes home from work early, she hears her daughter shrieking so loud. Then she sees her African husband standing over her infant daughter who is bleeding profusely with a razor blade in his hand. He has done the dirty deed, without anesthesia, without antibiotics.

Good Move....... both Male Circumcision and FGM should not be practice on children or anyone without their direct and explicit consent.
Breast Ironing and Skin Bleaching should also be banned.

ITA. Male Circumcision should be outlawed, too.

But, it is very important that we not compare what is done to boys to what is done to girls. When we do, we miss the whole point entirely.

The term Female Circumcision has become obsolete. Now, when you see the acronym "FGC" is stands for Female Genital Cutting. The reason the semantics have changed is because the term circumcision really over-trivialized the mutilation. Trying to compare what girls are going through with what boys are going through is completely inaccurate. It could only be accurate if the head of the penis were chopped off, instead of just the foreskin. I digress....

It is interesting how the circumcision of boys (and some girls, too) became popular in the United States. You know about Kellogg's Cornflakes, I am sure.

But, did you know about John Harvey Kellogg?

Meet John Harvey Kellogg

*smile*

.....an excerpt from

http://mentalfloss.com/article/32042/corn-flakes-were-invented-part-anti-masturbation-crusade

Corn Flakes Were Invented as Part of an Anti-Masturbation Crusade

120520631-565x418_2.jpg

..................... In the 18th and 19th centuries, the Western world worked itself up into a mass hissy fit over the idea of people touching themselves. Judeo-Christian tradition had already been damning masturbation as a misuse of sexuality for ages, but Victorian era prudishness and the Great Awakening and other religious revivals in America created a perfect storm for people to really get obsessed with it......

.....Kellogg's Cures

John_Harvey_Kellogg_ggbain.15047.jpg

...................In the young United States, one of the most ardent anti-masturbaters was a Michigan physician named John Harvey Kellogg. The good doctor was a bit uncomfortable about sex, thinking it detrimental to physical, emotional and spiritual well-being. He personally abstained from it, and never consummated his marriage (and may have actually spent his honeymoon working on one of his anti-sex books). He and his wife kept separate bedrooms and adopted all of their children............

..........While cereals and yogurt enemas might have kept most people in line, Kellogg also supported more extreme measures (read: stuff that would get your medical license revoked today and lead to many, many lawsuits) for people with particularly nasty masturbation habits. For boys, he suggested threading silver wire through the foreskin to prevent erections and cause irritation. For girls, he advocated, and sometimes employed, an application of carbolic acid to the clitoris to burn it and discourage touching it................

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back