Nigeria : Female Genital Mutilation Banned In Nigeria

*deja vu*

I disagree.

Kellogg was on something. Yes, he was putting acid on some girls. But, not a half of a million girls. He didn't have an impact on the general culture of girls, though he did have an impact of the direction of circumcision of boys, imho.

And, I didn't write the article. I didn't give it the title, the author did.

A couple 2 or 3 thangz:

The title reads "Female Circumcision Comes to America," which is not true. Female circumcision didn't COME to America, it was BORN in America.

https://sites.google.com/site/completebaby/female

White doctors (not just Dr Kellogg) had been practicing FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION on little white girls and big ol' white women in the United States of America decades before the practice was spotlighted and condemned in Afrika. But since the exact same practice was being done by highly edumacated, well to do white male elites with medical degrees, it was considered not as barbaric, but as therapeutic, hygienic and perfectly respectable. As usual, being white continues to have its privileges, even among some Black people. So if we're going to call people out for performing female circumcision, let's not pick and choose who we call out. Let's put EVERYBODY'S dirt out there and call them on it, not just Afrikan people.

That little blurb in the article glosses over the pervasiveness of the practice in this country. Dr Kellogg wasn't the only white doctor doing it. It was a common enough practice that it was described in medical journals edited by white males.

A couple 2 or 3 thangz:

The title reads "Female Circumcision Comes to America," which is not true. Female circumcision didn't COME to America, it was BORN in America.

https://sites.google.com/site/completebaby/female

White doctors (not just Dr Kellogg) had been practicing FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION on little white girls and big ol' white women in the United States of America decades before the practice was spotlighted and condemned in Afrika. But since the exact same practice was being done by highly edumacated, well to do white male elites with medical degrees, it was considered not as barbaric, but as therapeutic, hygienic and perfectly respectable. As usual, being white continues to have its privileges, even among some Black people. So if we're going to call people out for performing female circumcision, let's not pick and choose who we call out. Let's put EVERYBODY'S dirt out there and call them on it, not just Afrikan people.

That little blurb in the article glosses over the pervasiveness of the practice in this country. Dr Kellogg wasn't the only white doctor doing it. It was a common enough practice that it was described in medical journals edited by white males.

We all know too well that white folks historically without question have been the most barbaric people that have ever walker the face of the earth. So, you can let that go, ok?

You haven't provided any information that says FGM was pervasive in America. Yes, there was a lot written in medical journals about it. That has been established.

Now, the fact that some white people had performed clitoridectomies in the United States before WHO started to fight against the practice doesn't surprise me. Back then women had no rights, at all, in this country, or any country.

Thank you for posting a link to back up some of your claims.
The link that you posted does prove that there were a few clitoridectomies done. It also substantiates that they were done to address medical problems i.e. "adhesions", and other perceived medical conditions and/or problems

What they were doing, imo, was wrong, no doubt about it. But, it was not done on such a large scale as what is happening now not just in Africa, but also in the following places.....

Europe
France
Germany
Italy
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
Sweden
United Kingdom
Middle East
Bahrain
Iran
Iraq
Jordan
Kuwait
Oman
Palestinian territories
Qatar
Saudi-Arabia
Syria
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
Yemen

North America
Canada
United States

South America
Colombia
Oceania
Australia
New Zealand

South, Southeast and Central Asia
Afghanistan
Brunei
India
Indonesia
Malaysia
Maldives
Pakistan

The difference is that the FGM of today is simply a rite of passage, done for no other reason than to make sex so painful for women that they would never want to have sex. That they would not engage in pre-marital sex, nor commit adultery because it is always painful for them. Another difference is the way it is not done in a hospital setting. It is not even done by people with medical training. It is usually done in groups. using the same often rusty instrument on an entire group of babies and young girls, spreading diseases like HIV throughout the whole group.

And, the first link within the link says this:

In 1866, an American medical journal discussed the work of a British physician, Dr. Isaac Brown Baker, who claimed success in treating epilepsy and other nervous disorders in female patients by excising the clitoris. After noting that the great mass of English medical opinion was strongly opposed to Baker's ideas and had "unqualifiedly condemned" his operation, the American editor concurred with the English medical profession, declaring that to remove the clitoris "to allay sexual irritability is about as unphilosophical as to remove the analogous organ of the male."4

So, tell me. Are you offended because some people would like this practice to stop?

Would you like this practice to continue?

Do you think this is a harmless practice?

Do you think people should be hush-hush about it?

What is it that triggers you when we discuss this the most?

ITA. Male Circumcision should be outlawed, too.

But, it is very important that we not compare what is done to boys to what is done to girls. When we do, we miss the whole point entirely.

The term Female Circumcision has become obsolete. Now, when you see the acronym "FGC" is stands for Female Genital Cutting. The reason the semantics have changed is because the term circumcision really over-trivialized the mutilation. Trying to compare what girls are going through with what boys are going through is completely inaccurate. It could only be accurate if the head of the penis were chopped off, instead of just the foreskin. I digress....

It is interesting how the circumcision of boys (and some girls, too) became popular in the United States. You know about Kellogg's Cornflakes, I am sure.

But, did you know about John Harvey Kellogg?

Meet John Harvey Kellogg

*smile*

.....an excerpt from

http://mentalfloss.com/article/32042/corn-flakes-were-invented-part-anti-masturbation-crusade

Corn Flakes Were Invented as Part of an Anti-Masturbation Crusade

120520631-565x418_2.jpg

..................... In the 18th and 19th centuries, the Western world worked itself up into a mass hissy fit over the idea of people touching themselves. Judeo-Christian tradition had already been damning masturbation as a misuse of sexuality for ages, but Victorian era prudishness and the Great Awakening and other religious revivals in America created a perfect storm for people to really get obsessed with it......

.....Kellogg's Cures

John_Harvey_Kellogg_ggbain.15047.jpg

...................In the young United States, one of the most ardent anti-masturbaters was a Michigan physician named John Harvey Kellogg. The good doctor was a bit uncomfortable about sex, thinking it detrimental to physical, emotional and spiritual well-being. He personally abstained from it, and never consummated his marriage (and may have actually spent his honeymoon working on one of his anti-sex books). He and his wife kept separate bedrooms and adopted all of their children............

..........While cereals and yogurt enemas might have kept most people in line, Kellogg also supported more extreme measures (read: stuff that would get your medical license revoked today and lead to many, many lawsuits) for people with particularly nasty masturbation habits. For boys, he suggested threading silver wire through the foreskin to prevent erections and cause irritation. For girls, he advocated, and sometimes employed, an application of carbolic acid to the clitoris to burn it and discourage touching it................

Yes I am aware o Kellogg and the evils of FGM
Male Circumcision should not be seen either as trivial or trivializing anything.
They are both cruel and deserving of being ended....In fact, both practices are barbaric, the worst of male circumcising being worse than the mildest of female genital cutting and vice versa.
http://www.circumstitions.com/yemen.html

Without going into too much anatomy here is two facts you should know about male circumcision.
1.The frenar band is a group of soft ridges near the junction of the inner and outer foreskin. This region is the primary erogenous zone of the intact male body some what akin to the clitoris in the amount of nerve endings.
2.The Frenulum which is often thought of as the male G-spot
Both are destroyed in Male circumcision....
http://www.noharmm.org/advantage.htm

My point being Both are equally despicable with only marginal differences in cruelty and effect.... they should both be STOPPED.
http://www.circumcision.org/studies.htm

Contrary to popular belief the Foreskin like the Labia is not just extra skin

Yes I am aware o Kellogg and the evils of FGM
Male Circumcision should not be seen either as trivial or trivializing anything.
They are both cruel and deserving of being ended....In fact, both practices are barbaric, the worst of male circumcising being worse than the mildest of female genital cutting and vice versa.
http://www.circumstitions.com/yemen.html

Without going into too much anatomy here is two facts you should know about male circumcision.
1.The frenar band is a group of soft ridges near the junction of the inner and outer foreskin. This region is the primary erogenous zone of the intact male body some what akin to the clitoris in the amount of nerve endings.
2.The Frenulum which is often thought of as the male G-spot
Both are destroyed in Male circumcision....
http://www.noharmm.org/advantage.htm

My point being Both are equally despicable with only marginal differences in cruelty and effect.... they should both be STOPPED.
http://www.circumcision.org/studies.htm

Contrary to popular belief the Foreskin like the Labia is not just extra skin

Why do you think they call it foreskin? And have you ever known of any men who had life long consequences from circumcision? Do you know of any men who have bled to death? Or, have died of shock, or tetanus? There is no comparison. Do you know of any men who have gone through infibulation?
I have never had a penis, so I guess I won't win this argument. But, I did give birth to a male child. And, I have handled an uncircumcised penis so I am certain that foreskin is not nearly as sensitive as a clitoris is. I am aware that some men don't know that. I have had to tell certain men to not touch me because they weren't aware that they were touching me much too rough.

I did research on whether I should have him circumcised or not. I felt that it would be better not to. But, in the end I deferred the decision to my husband, and he thought it was better to have him circumcised. I don't know if different boys have different experiences or not. But, my Mother went with my newborn son, and his Pediatrician, and she witnessed the whole procedure. When she brought him back to me, he was not crying or anything. He just nursed and went to sleep. There was no bleeding..... And he healed. FGM never heals.

But, as I have said before, I'll say it again. If I had it to do all over again, I would have fought harder against it. And, I am sorry, I still see nothing remotely similar in what is done to boys to that which is done to girls. And, I find it very telling that some men have no idea what the clitoris really consists of.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...25.0....0...1.1.64.img..2.27.5579.4Yz4iF-s3iE

Happiness is intrinsic, it's an internal thing. When you build it into yourself, no external circumstances can take it away.-Leo Buscaglia

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back