Black People : Felony Disenfranchisement

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Zulile, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Nationally, an estimated 5.3 million Americans are denied the right to vote because of laws that prohibit voting by people with felony convictions. This fundamental obstacle to participation in democratic life is exacerbated by racial disparities in the criminal justice system, resulting in an estimated 13% of Black men unable to vote.

http://www.sentencingproject.org/IssueAreaHome.aspx?IssueID=4

2. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    [​IMG]

Democrat Barack Obama's campaign has been so self-congratulatory this political season for targeting new voters, we were wondering last week why they hadn't made much effort to go after a natural pool of would-be voters -- the 112,000 ex-felons to which Florida has granted "automatic" rights restoration over the last year.

A Sentinel analysis of voter rolls found that of the 9,000 ex-felons who did register, just over 5,100, or 57 percent, registered as Democrats, while 1,900, 21 percent, registered Republican. (Pictured left are the stacks of notification letters that went out to the wrong addresses and were kicked back to the state Parole Commission.)

Just under 1,900 Central Florida ex-felons that had their rights restored last year had registered by the July 28 deadline for this week’s primary election. Fully, 21 percent of the total number of former convicts who registered statewide live in Central Florida – a figure in line with 19 percent of all registered voters who live in the seven-county metropolitan area.

Central Florida’s ex-felons also leaned more toward the Democratic ticket – 56 percent registered as Democrats, compared to the region’s overall 39 percent Democratic registration.

Only 19 percent of Central Florida’s ex-felons registered Republican, compared to 38 percent of the region’s overall population registered GOP.

Despite that tilt, neither the Barack Obama presidential campaign nor the state Democratic Party has made overt strides to reach this pool of would-be voters.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_politics/2008/08/felon-follow-up.html

I would think Obama is doing his usual - not publicly targeting any specific group..
    I'm more curious to know why these particular felons were granted voting rights.. who these felons are.. or is this happening everywhere? if so.. why?

:?:

3. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    yea

we know

life ain't fair

i don't see how you lose your right to vote

not ALL crime needs to be grouped together (long discussion)

like you killed old people

and this guy shot a guy who molested his 2 year old daughter

feel me

anyways i think each case some be view independently

but this is amerikkkan and we LOVE grouping

4. yohance

yohance Banned

Ratings:
    +2
    I think the Obama camp is playing it safe. We have the media that makes the fist bump between Barack and Michelle look like a terrorist hand shake. What you think they would do to him if he was to target the ex-felons, particularly, the black-ex felons. The media would have a hey day and connect him with domestic terrorism LMAO.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    i have never understood the logic behind denying felons the vote.
    once you do your time it should be over.