Black Spirituality Religion : Fela Kuti

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Amnat77, May 2, 2010.

1. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    On Religion in Africa

On colonial mentality

2. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    What's up with the subtitles?....anyways, Fela's music is the original 'rebel music'. Anyone seen the play?

3. Workinprocess

Workinprocess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +223
  4. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    A friend visited Fela's 'Shrine' while in Nigeria and related to me how there seems to be a sprirt or something that envelops a person while at the shrine. She describes a feeling akin to intoxication without consuming any alcohol or drugs: My friend is staunch Christian btw.

So I was thinking while watching the some excerpts from the play, If the actresses playing the Fela's ' Queens' know that the symbols painted on their faces actually mean something in Orisha worship, and I wonder if participating in the play would leave any lingering effects spiritual wise on them......

5. Workinprocess

Workinprocess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +223
    I'm not a Christian but I get that intoxication feeling just from listening to Felas music. I can't think of any artist who has been able to accomplish what Fela has accomplished, Fela is simply the greatest!

I'm pretty sure that the people who were in the play, faces painted or not, there had to be some lingering spiritual effects. I am sure the audience had to have felt the lingering effects as well.

Here is another video to add, I predicted some time back that people would begin to sample Felas music, especially rappers who are looking for some new and raw material, come to find out, they been sampling Felas music.

W.I.P :whip:

6. Fagunwa

Fagunwa Active Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +6
    I saw the play and it is very good. Very spiritual ending for those who can see.