Black People : Feds Spent $800,000 of Economic Stimulus on African Genital-Washing Program

Amnat77

Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
REALLY????

Monday, September 13, 2010
By Matt Cover

(CNSNews.com) – The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), a division of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), spent $823,200 of economic stimulus funds in 2009 on a study by a UCLA research team to teach uncircumcised African men how to wash their genitals after having sex.

The genitalia-washing program is part of a larger $12-million UCLA study examining how to better encourage Africans to undergo voluntary HIV testing and counseling – however, only the penis-washing study received money from the 2009 economic stimulus law. The washing portion of the study is set to end in 2011.

“NIH Announces the Availability of Recovery Act Funds for Competitive Revision Applications,” the grant abstract states. “We propose to evaluate the feasibility of a post-coital genital hygiene study among men unwilling to be circumcised in Orange Farm, South Africa.”

Because AIDS researchers have been unsuccessful in convincing most adult African men to undergo circumcision, the UCLA study proposes to determine whether researchers can develop an after-sex genitalia-washing regimen that they can then convince uncircumcised African men to follow.

“The aim of the proposed feasibility study is to evaluate the feasibility and acceptability of a post-coital male genital hygiene procedure, which participants will be asked to practice immediately post-coitus or at least 12 hours after,” reads the abstract.

Entitled “Community-Based HIV VCT: South Africa,” the name of the broader umbrella project, the program plans to test how well received the penis-washing regimen is among South African men.

If most of the men in the study wash their genitals after sex, are willing to do so after the study ends, and report that their partners accept the regimen, the researchers will develop another study to see if the “penile cleansing procedure” actually works to prevent HIV infections.

“If we find that men are able to practice consistent washing practices after sex, we will plan to test whether this might protect men from becoming HIV infected in a later study,” the grant says.

The study’s lead investigator Dr. Thomas J. Coates was the fourth highest-funded researcher in the country in 2002 and is currently conducting HIV research on three continents.

CNSNews.com asked both Coates and NIMH the following question: “The Census Bureau says the median household income in the United States is $52,000. How would you explain to the average American mom and dad -- who make $52,000 per year -- that taxing them to pay for this grant was justified?”

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/75198

Full Speed

Sep 7, 2009
Just wondering.....did they also conduct a $12 Million dollar study to determine that African men don't wash their genitals after sex, or was that just a 12 cent assumption?

Amnat77

Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
Just wondering.....did they also conduct a $12 Million dollar study to determine that African men don't wash their genitals after sex, or was that just a 12 cent assumption?

Your guess is as good as mine, but i refuse to believe the US government (who's currently crying BROKE) is spending that much money to teach Africans how wash their genitals..

WHATEVER!!!!

StefiA

Jul 24, 2010
I'm sorry but if a guy just washing himself stopped Aids wouldn't we all have heard about that ages ago? Or am I missing something here?

Full Speed

Sep 7, 2009
Your guess is as good as mine, but i refuse to believe the US government (who's currently crying BROKE) is spending that much money to teach Africans how wash their genitals..

WHATEVER!!!!

Oh, I have no doubt that they are. Our government has a LONG history of wasteful spending on rediculous "research" projects.

Citizens against Government Waste

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF WASTEFUL "RESEARCH"

$2,573,000 for potato research in four states requested by five senators and four representatives. A September 23, 2009 article on MSNBC.com called McDonald’s “the holy grail for potato farmers.” The article stated, “Because McDonald’s buys more than 3.4 billion pounds of U.S. potatoes annually, it has the power to dictate whether a variety sprouts or winds up in the less-lucrative supermarket freezer’s crinklecut bin — or worse yet, banished to become dehydrated taters.” With such a vested interest in keeping the potato market alive, the private sector should pay for the research. Every taxpayer should get fries with that $2,573,000.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kemetstry Black Money Business Jobs : BLACK BILLIONAIRE PROBED BY THE FEDS Black Money Business Jobs 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Feds: White supremacists hoped rally would start civil war Black People Politics 2
jamesfrmphilly Audio Video Web Conferencing : feds seize torrents site.... Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
OldSoul OldSoul : Driver's license deemed not secure enough for feds OldSoul 8
Fine1952 Black People : Feds Raid Chicago Operation Linked to Detroit Body Parts Business Black People Open Forum 6
Kadijah Black Money Business Jobs : Employment opportunity - Feds seeks someone to grow 12 acres of pot Black Money Business Jobs 1
skuderjaymes Black People : More Than 40 People Were Shot In Chicago Over Easter Weekend: Feds Taking Over. Black People Open Forum 46
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : 7-Eleven Stores Operated 'Modern Day Plantation System,' Feds Claim Black People Open Forum 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Feds: Many causes for dramatic bee disappearance Black People Open Forum 5
Kemetstry Law Forum : Feds Targetting New Pot Laws Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 23
Kemetstry Black People : Feds: Authorities in Meridian, Miss. Violated Rights of Black Children Black People Open Forum 6
RAPTOR Black People : Feds Find L.A. Provides Inferior Education To Black Students Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black People : Feds Storing Body Scans Black People Open Forum 11
S Black People : Breaking News:Muslim leader killed by FEDS in Detroit Black People Open Forum 22
jamesfrmphilly Black People : feds sue new black panthers Black People Open Forum 6
Destee Black People Politics : Feds Thwart Alleged Obama Assassination Plot Black People Politics 28
HODEE Black People : Feds to collect DNA from every person they arrest Black People Open Forum 3
P Black People : Feds probe subway terror leak Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : $24 million spent on Fort Worth toddler’s life support; hospital says Texas may intervene Black Health and Wellness 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Parenting : The reality of Black men's love lives and marriages is very different than what's usually shown on TV – I spent years actually talking to them Black Parenting 0
HODEE Black People Politics : How the Money is Spent Black People Politics 0
R Black Poetry : They kiss at the table but this fable is concerned with a cake date that went wrong so he spent time at home thinking about it alone now on the phone Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
jamesfrmphilly Black Sports : marshawn-lynch-hasnt-spent-any-of-the-50mil-hes-made-in-the-nfl Black Sports 4
RAPTOR Black Education / Schools : As Obama Admin Seeks More Funding for Charter Schools, Questions Raised over Billions Already Spent Black Education / Schools 1
1poetsought Black Poetry : Rent Already Spent Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
MsInterpret Jails / Prisons : Innocent teen spent 5 months in prison Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 55
HODEE Black Poetry : I Have spent a Lot of .....TIME Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
P Black Relationships : How much should be spent on a wedding? Black Relationships 23