Black People : Feds probe subway terror leak

panafrica

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
The Homeland Security Department launched internal probes yesterday into whether its officials tipped off friends and relatives to a possible subway terror plot days before average New Yorkers were altered, authorities said yesterday.
The two investigations came after the Daily News revealed that two E-mails describing the purported bombing plot had been sent early last week to a select crowd of business and arts executives by New Yorkers who claimed to have close connections to Homeland Security.

"It's disturbing. It's just not right," said Gov. Pataki, who was one of several officials to call for a probe. "The public should know at the same time."

One possible culprit being eyed is an unidentified former high-ranking Coast Guard official who still has access to confidential intelligence, Homeland Security sources said.

The E-mails came to the attention of the NYPD on Oct. 3 - three days before Mayor Bloomberg, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly and the FBI went public with the threat.

One of the messages was even sent about 90 minutes before Bloomberg was fully briefed on the bombing plot, as The News revealed yesterday.

After the city and the FBI went public on Oct. 6, Homeland Security officials quickly shrugged off the threat - deeming it "of doubtful credibility."

"We can't have Homeland Security publicly downplaying the danger of the threat while privately tipping off their friends," Rep. Peter King (R-L.I.), chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said yesterday.

King pledged to grill Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff about the E-mails.

"I will formally request the secretary to explain everything - what happened, how it happened, what's being done to investigate the leaks and what steps will be taken to make sure it doesn't happen again," he said.

Kelly said the NYPD was alerted to the E-mails by contacts in private security.

One of the E-mails warned: "As some of you know my father works for Homeland Security, at a very high position and receives security briefings on a daily basis...The only information that I can pass on is that everyone should at all costs not ride the subway for the next two weeks in major areas of NYC."

The NYPD obtained the E-mails on Oct. 4 and gave them to Homeland Security.

"We are investigating internally," Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said yesterday. He declined to give details, but added, "We take any leak, or potential leak, of classified material very seriously."

Homeland Security sources said the Office of Security and Inspector General Richard Skinner were separately eying the ex-Coast Guard official who has worked as a department consultant.

"We've been reviewing the E-mails over recent days to see if there was a basis for an investigation," a source said.

The plot has been largely discredited. But Bloomberg has defended his response - going public and ramping up security - arguing the city had no choice but to act.

Several New Yorkers yesterday said they got the E-mails before the public warning.

"I don't know what is more frightening, the possibility of a subway terror bombing or the idea that you'll get an early heads-up if you are lucky enough to be in the loop," said a financial director. "It shouldn't be the luck of the draw."

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/355621p-303011c.html

reminds me of something a friend of mine, who returned here from a trip home to chicago a week or so ago, was telling me. apparently, according to him, there was an "issue" in the subway under the federal building. allegedly, a us plot to cause some damage to an alleged investigation of our dear gwshrub&cronies was foiled by a french discovery of the plot. it was a passing comment as we talked about other stuff ....

true or not? <shrug> who knows anymore? when their lips are moving, it's a lead pipe cinch that they are lying about something!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back