Black People : Fear of Things That Are Different

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SophiaG, Aug 14, 2010.

1. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    I'm not actually black. I'm white, and I'll just repeat some of the things I said in my introduction post. I am 21 years old, a college student in D.C. studying Psychology and religion.

As you know, D.C. has a sizeable black population. I guess I'm one of those people that go around trying to learn about different cultures and ways of thinking. And I have to say, I think I've stumbled on a great website here. I dont know half of what people are talking about when they mention african politics/history or famous african americans in our history. So I'm like "Oh look new things to learn :D"

I grew up in a predominately white town, that was 99% white with just a few black people (is it more politically correct to say african american?) in my high school.

My senior year of high school I was able to go to a Deaf Boarding School in D.C. and it was there that I became more exposed to african americans and actually made friends with a few. It took me a few months to learn how to spell one of my lunch-mates names beceause it was so different than the white anglican names I had grown up around.

This past...semester I would say...I began to learn about the ideology behind White Power after watching a documentary on TV about a white supremacy group. I wanted to know if what I saw in the media about them was true. In short, I found their ideology to be ...at it's core, empty and exactly what I was taught in school/had seen on various news shows. Devoid of any real justification other than fear of what is different.

People are so afraid of what is different that it is ridiculous and it causes me much frustration & anger to see what people do in the name of fear. Fear easily becomes hate, or just plain uncomfortableness around things that are considered different. People ignore those that they are afraid of or are uncomfortable around.

Like Me.

I grew up with a disability which affects how I appear and also makes me nonverbal. So I understand what it is like to have someone look at you and judge you based on how you look because you are "different". It's just how human beings are I suppose. THey judge based on the first thing they see.

It's also the reason why there is unofficial segregation nowadays I think. Because society has been split along racial divides for so long, different cultures have emerged and that keeps us in our own little culture-bubbles afraid of the "other".

I dont want to be like them. I want to understand others because I know we are all human, we just express it differently with some basic similarities.

Thanks for reading all of that.

Bye for now! ^_^

2. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    Hi there SofiaG - I see we both came up with really original user names when we joined the site :) I'm nearly 24 and finished college about 4 years ago.
    I'm still fairly new here myself and the people here are pretty nice so I'm sure they'll make you welcome.
    I know you're not the only white person on the forums and in fact although I'm 1/4 african-american I actually look white and grew up in a white environment so I know how different a lot of the things people talk about on here are from what you and I might have experienced. But I've found if you just ask people will explain.
    It is sad how people will still look on those who are different in a fearful way, maybe it is part of human nature, but its still a part we can change and impove on.
    Don't be too worried about being politically correct - when I started on here I must have come across to everyone like some frightened little rabbit cause I was terrified of saying the wrong thing and hurting people's feelings. The advice I got was just be yourself and people will tell you if they need to if you've said anything hurtful.
    Hope college is going well - those sound like some tough subjects.

3. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Chuck:

Yes...

I admit to just browsing thru what you posted...

And...

I have empathy for what you've had to rise above etc.

But...

Why this chronic need to tell us blacks about what whites fear?

Not only is that a given:

It is also something that I-- among others-- constantly urge you to bring up to white folk and/or via their forums...

It is not our lack of accepting other folks which was or is the issue:

It was and is other folks!

:10500:

4. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Chuck:

In all due candor and honesty--as well as mutual respect?

My indigenous relations also kinda sorta go thru the same thing, i. e., trying to get across to folks--like you--how it's not about being so called one quarter of whatever--and it is about what you truly have in common with them, be they American Indians-- in their cases-- or African Americans, in the case of the posters of these message boards, etc.

I acknowledge and identify myself as both black and indian:

It was and is not for the faint of heart or weak willed...

Though we make our choices--make our means/ways/etc. down our chosen paths...

Also, one has to rise above and beyond social mythology, i. e. , realize and recognize how even though black folk are the most easily identifiable minority group, the cultural/economic/political reality was and is defined, generally speaking/writing/etc., from the perspective of what is considered acceptable or tolerable to the majority of whites in the states...

Yes, some whites did (or do) poke fun at disliked white elected officials, but the majority did nothing during eight years of George Bush's reactionary b. s.

Now some even disputed the right of blacks to vote in national primaries/disputed town hall meetings meant to be sounding boards for the new President's policies and practices/ad naseum?!?

So much for those who show up at tributes to King, Junior!!!

My point:

This is about far more than one people being ignorant of the lifestyles etc. of the other...

If anything?

Some know more about ours--than most of us understand about their's!

The issue and problem:

The fear of the one--feeling or thinking they will ever have to be less than 'superior'--truly treat others who are considered 'inferior'--instead-- as equals-!

And as I've also said/wrote before:

It was not and is not up to black folks to redeem white folks..

It is up to them!

:em0200:

5. StefiA

Ratings:
    +215
    @Chuck
    I don't think Sophia does have a "chronic need to tell us blacks about what whites fear" - in fact she only mentions white in relation to herself - I'm sure that the people who look on her "disability which affects how I appear" as something to be afraid of aren't just white folks.
    I think what she was expressing was a desire to find out more about black people so that she wouldn't be one of those whites who was fearful of blacks. Surely the less fear there is the less hate there is.

6. StefiA

Ratings:
    +215
    @Chuck
    OK our last posts sort of crossed there so the one I just posted was a reply to the one you posted back at Sophia OK - I'm still trying to read through that last one to me and work out what it means so give me a bit of time on that OK.

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Yes, SofiaG, White Supremacy is a system of HATRED which masks the FEAR they have of anything or anyone different.

They're still cowards, but they don't wear the sheets anymore.

Today, they wear business suits, Congressional titles, judicial robes and police uniforms.

8. StefiA

Ratings:
    +215
    @Chuck

"My indigenous relations also kinda sorta go thru the same thing, i. e., trying to get across to folks--like you--how it's not about being so called one quarter of whatever--and it is about what you truly have in common with them, be they American Indians-- in their cases-- or African Americans, in the case of the posters of these message boards, etc."

In the post to Sophia I wasn't trying to give myself some black validity by what I said - if you look at it I thought it was fairly obvious I was trying to relate to her, a white girl, coming onto a black site to try and find out more about black people and culture, just like I started doing a month or so back. Now to do that I could have just said 'well hey I'm white too, so you're not the only one' but despite looking white and having a white upbringing I'm still only 75% white and I don't see why I should have to hide that fact.

"My point:
    This is about far more than one people being ignorant of the lifestyles etc. of the other...
    If anything?
    Some know more about ours--than most of us understand about their's!
    The issue and problem:
    The fear of the one--feeling or thinking they will ever have to be less than 'superior'--truly treat others who are considered 'inferior'--instead-- as equals-!"

Of course it is, I've at least learnt that much since I've been coming here - but.... not all white people have a great knowledge of black people - I certainly didn't have much knowledge despite having a black grandpa so why should they have + not all white people feel they are superior.

Maybe I still know too little or look at things in too simple a way, but I don't see what advantage is gained by pushing away the few white people that might come here with good intentions. If the white folks are going to redeem themselves they at least need to learn first what they're redeeming themselves from. Some of the material I've seen on here re slavery with pictures of people's torn up backs and accounts of people having things stuck up them to stop diarhea on slave ships is just so appalling I'm sure that a lot of white folks would be shamed to the point of changing there attitude completely, but in my all white school nothing like that was ever shown - its only here that I've ever seen it.

9. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thank you for the kind words Stefia. :)

Chuck I have never heard that some white people still think, even today, that black people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

I've heard white people say that 'we don't need affirmative action anymore." But I've never heard anyone say or any news report saying that there are actually people out there that believe blacks shouldn't have the right to vote.

Any newstory links you could show me to back up this claim?

10. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    You wrote:

In the post to Sophia I wasn't trying to give myself some black validity by what I said - if you look at it I thought it was fairly obvious I was trying to relate to her, a white girl, coming onto a black site to try and find out more about black people and culture, just like I started doing a month or so back. Now to do that I could have just said 'well hey I'm white too, so you're not the only one' but despite looking white and having a white upbringing I'm still only 75% white and I don't see why I should have to hide that fact.

Chuck:

"Only" 75% white?

Intriguing and revealing that you felt and thought a need and a want to even bring that up!

Care to elaborate a wee bit further?

In the meanwhile...

My dear, the key words remain, i. e., white anglo saxon protestant...

Simply put, they are not inclusive/and are exclusive, y'jknow?

Not to digress: And moving right along

If, in past eras, etc., such folk needed and wanted to make alliances, i. e., on this continent/in this present nation, with others who had the ends--white southern slaveholders/plantation owners--to advance their dreams (and schemes), also via the eras whereas they could condone-- not condemn slavery--or segregation--those eras have long since passed--therefore the importance/relevance/significance/etc. of the descendants of the one to the descendants of the other...

Add this:

Also the general practice was the mulatto descendants and/or inheritors of the wealth--i. e., of some rich white southerners--had been the accepted (or tolerated) leaders of black folk!

As we do say in my neck of the woods:

That's just how close the white status quo (once) did play black folk!

Also there was our comebacks...

Some things I do know...

Some things you may not know or understand at all...

No biggie...

Nothing knows 'everything'...

More to the point:

Well I feel and think you missed mine!

Or maybe sorta I can't get my mind around yours!

My dear, usually wherever one chooses to and post etc, there are some guessed or known do's or don'ts, i. e., one does strive and try to get to know and understand what the other posters are about, before they air their opinions, etc.

Whether I agree or disagree with other posters here, I have some idea as to their feelings and thoughts, etc., and then take it from there...

You post a handful of times, then proclaim yourself the unofficial spokesperson ala black/white relations here?

Even some of the white posters might feel or think otherwise...

:10500:

First and foremost:

You are a poster...

You aren't either the originator nor the moderator of these forums...

Your option to exchange email addresses etc. with the other poster are a given...

Otherwise please don't represent yourself via this or any forum that you aren't...

:em0200: