Black People : Fear of airplanes

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Jun 22, 2006.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I have a fear of flying, especially since the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Honestly, even though I haven't had much of a need to travel internationally, I STRONGLY prefer transportation through bus or train.

Does anyone else share this fear?

2. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    9/11 didn't change how I feel about air travel. I'm more worried about drunken pilots or mechanical failure.

3. IfUComeSoftly

IfUComeSoftly Well-Known Member MEMBER

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    lol slowly... i'm not really concerned about that at all...,i have a far greater chance of dying everytime i get on 75 or 285 or 85 or 20 then when i catch delta somewhere

4. sonnee01

sonnee01 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29
    Hey Karmashines….I use to be afraid of flying, as a matter of fact; I did not take my first plane ride until 2000, but have been up several times since then.

Last year I took a :bus: ride to NYC for a shopping spree, and that was the
    W O R S T thing I have ever experienced :crying:, so needless to say I don’t plan on doing that ever again :nono:.

For me, once I overcame my fear of dying, I was okay with flying :).

5. Agent_Jack

Agent_Jack Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I travel 75% of the time for my company or should I say the company I work for. Although I don't like flying, I can say that I am no longer afraid. As long as I stay prayed up, my concerns in the air are minimal. I have a better chance of slamming into a tree after leaving the club or being ran off the road on I-20 anyway.

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Imagine being up in the air waving to your friends "Hi, Jack!"

The coils in my implant actually make the alarms go off at the metal detector so I haven't been near an airplane for awhile cuz I might end up on Bush's no fly list anyway.

I used to like to sit by the window and watch the clouds go by like litte white islands down below in a blue sea. Then I'd pretend George Washington was sitting next to me and when we took off I'd say look George we're flying. Ol' George would jump up Great Scott! What is the meaning of this? Get me my smelling salts. and I would calm him down and assure him it was all mechanical.

Just my 'magination once again.

7. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    Okay, River that was funny!

It is so difficult to convince anyone who is afraid to fly that flying is safer than driving on the major highways. However, here I go.

I used to be afraid of flying, but I got to the point of putting my life in the Ancestors' and God's hands. When I fly internationally, specifically over the Atlantic, I feel the closeness to my Ancestors whose souls are down below and I talk to them and let them know I will never forget them, I love them and to bless me to go to Africa and play a role helping Black people to be successful, in their names.

Know that your life is destined. A couple of weeks ago a bullet when through my window. It it was my time it could have be my physical ending.

I have been through a number of other life threatening situations, but I am still here.

So my sister it is not your time to go until it is your time to go. You cannot control that.

Therefore, go fly, put your life in God and the Ancestors hands. You'll be fine.

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I'm not afraid at all no more then i am of the daily wake up !

9. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Just eat and have a sip of white zinfindel.:dance:
    Take you a nap :boring: and when you wake up you'll be at your destination:1on1:

10. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    The fear of planes is not unreasonable. When you think about it a plane is pressurized tube made of aluminum, magnesium, fibregrass composite and stainless steel. It can carrier anywhere from 10 to 20 thousand pounds of fuel, reach speed of 600 mph and cruise at over 7 mile(roughly 40000 ft.) high in the air. With those kinds of statistics in a mishap the margin for era is zero. 100's of thousands of filights come and go, take off and land daily in North America. So with those types of numbers comparatively one would figure there should be planes crashing all over the place. Think of the last and commercial airline had a crash this year and this last time you heard about a car crash. Most us see cars crashing everyday. Sure the number of cars traveling the road are in the 10's of millions but a car is far less of a hazard as a plane right? Something to think about...

Peace....