Law Forum : Faulty evidence

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by CITIZEN, Oct 5, 2009.

1. CITIZEN

CITIZEN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +144
    By Ed Lavandera
    CNN http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/05/texas.sniffer.dogs.controversy/index.html

VICTORIA, Texas (CNN) -- The interrogation room inside the Victoria County Sheriff's Office is sterile and cold. There's a table in the middle, a one-way mirror and a hidden video camera that lets investigators watch suspects.

The Innocence Project of Texas has raised questions about using sniffer dogs to single out potential suspects.

Michael Buchanek knows the room well. He was part of countless investigations. Buchanek spent more than 25 years with the Sheriff's Office as a commander of operations.

But on March 16, 2006, Buchanek found himself sitting in the interrogation room. This time, he was on the other side of the table. The day before, his neighbor and friend, Sally Blackwell, was found strangled to death with a rope. Her body was left in a field five miles from her home.

Buchanek sat in the interrogation room with three homicide investigators, former brothers on the force. But the investigators were no longer friends. Buchanek was now the prime suspect in Blackwell's murder.

"They told me they knew I did it and that I was going to spend the rest of my life on death row," Buchanek told CNN.

The story of how a veteran law enforcement officer became a murder suspect is at the heart of a controversy over an investigative forensic tool called dog-scent lineups. Watch dog howl next to man's scent, see how lineup works »

The Innocence Project of Texas calls the practice "junk science that's being used by prosecutors and judges to convict people." The nonprofit group, which is dedicated to discovering and overturning wrongful convictions, wants state governments to ban the use of dog-scent lineups. It says an unknown number of people have been wrongly accused or convicted from the dog-scent lineups.

Supporters say dog-scent lineups are a powerful crime-fighting tool helping investigators crack cases across the country.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

How come it is an issue now? What about all the complaints our people have had for years?

2. Nasheed

Nasheed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Otr Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +168
    Ma'at Hetep

This and other situations only become an issue when it starts effecting white people.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister CITIZEN ... thanks for sharing this story with us. I removed much of the article, leaving an additional link to the story, where the Family can read it in its entirety.

Rule # 2 says we can't add property (in its entirety) without including the owner's permission.

I do agree with you Sister, none of these things are an issue, when applied to our people.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee