Black People : Father of 9-year-old stowaway says son has had ups and downs

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by legit-writer, Oct 10, 2013.

1. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
  2. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Oh and where is TSA in all of this?

3. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137
    He needs to whoop his butt. Then dare them to put him in jail for being a father

4. Ken Taylor

Ken Taylor Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +206
    I think the fact that he stole a 30ft delivery truck and crashed it into several cars is a bigger deal then him sneaking onto an airplane. Yes, this child has serious problems BUT taking him away from his father and mother definitely isn't the answer.

IMO, the boys father shouldn't conceal his identity. I give him credit for being there accepting full responsibility and struggling to deal with this out of control kid. I find no fault in this father that he should be ashamed of. So many times, this struggle is left to be dealt with by the mother alone.

I do question why he feels that if he spank the boy, he would be locked up? Perhaps the help that he and the boys mother need is in parenting skills. If the boy is being truthful (definitely questionable) that his mother threatened him with a knife, it's possible that they don't know how to discipline a child. Spanking a child, combined with dialog explaining acceptable and unacceptable behavior and the consequences of disobedience, can turn most children around when strictly and consistently administered.

Pro_22:15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune cited an email from Janine Moore, director of Hennepin County’s Human Services and Public Health department, in which she said the boy exhibited a “pattern of behavior.” The email did not name the boy or his family, but detailed prior incidents in which the boy stole a car and alleged that his mother had threated him with a knife, according to the paper.
    The boy’s father seemed to allude to the car theft – which the Star-Tribune said ended with the boy’s arrest – during the emotional press conference.
    “Last incident, I hate to say it, but when he damaged those cars, I didn’t know what was going through my son’s head. I just hope and pray that nobody gets hurt, and it could have been worse than it is,” the father said. “He told the police officer he thought he was playing Grand Theft Auto.”

5. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    and that's where its messed up at. The cops said that if he whips him, then he will go to jail, but at the same time if he doesn't whip his butt then the dad will still get in trouble for his son's behavior. Where is the mom in all of this?

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    all problems are solved by beating the child?

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    Father of 9-year-old stowaway says son has had ups and downs

:10900:that's a pun you know……...

8. Fieldpea

Fieldpea Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +778
    I'm surprised that the son hasn't been evaluated by an educational psychologist. If the school district arranges this for the child, then with an official assessment and diagnosis of the child's problems *from an educational point of view*, then the parents can file for supplemental security income from the fed. This might be one of the background issues for the parents (in terms of affordability of psychological/counseling for the child).

Supplemental security income would then *pay* for the parents' receiving parenting classes for a special needs child. This matters when the issue of spankings comes up. With parenting classes, *alternatives to spanking* that work is what the parents needs.

As for the child, again supplemental security income can be used to pay for the child's counseling/psych monitoring.

I know all this because I had a child--one of my sons--who was born with behavioral/special needs issues, and it was only after he received an educational psych eval arranged by the school district that I could then, apply for and receive supplemental security income and use medicaid to pay for my son's counseling/psych monitoring + my parenting classes, too.

It worked, too. From age 7 to age 19, my family participated in behavioral services such as I've described above, and the truth is, I don't know what I could have done without the help! It took a decade, easy, but it worked. I can say this, because that same child is 29 now, and is *nothing* like the way he was when he was little.

From anarchist to a *total square*...lol...he's a conscientious, responsible adult.

First order of business, though? When he was a child? I had to IMMEDIATELY stop spanking my son. For his sake (and mine, too). Spankings, time outs, TALKING--none of that worked on my son. Simply left me frustrated, him defiant while in physical pain, and my household STAYED in turmoil with alot of useless screaming (believe it or not). Spanking solved NOTHING!

These parents obviously need professional help. QUALITY professional help, I might add. For my own little family's sake, I was LUCKY to find quality people/professionals right off the bat! Other mothers/kids I became aware of weren't nearly so lucky as me.

One Love, and PEACE

9. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137

Moms are lunching out on raising their kids in this generation

10. Ken Taylor

Ken Taylor Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +206
    Come on, Kemetstry! You know moms are usually the one in there holding it down, doing her best to do both her job and the dads. From what I've seen, she is there and involved. If I remember correctly, she worked in a gift shop at the airport.

I think what happened here is that the brother chose to take the heat off the mom. He concealed his face and I disagree with that, but he deserves credit for being there, manning up to his responsibility for his child, and shielding mom from having to deal with the public side of the issue.

IMO, Kemetstry we as men should be ashamed to say something like "Mom's are lunching out..." when in the VAST MAJORITY of cases, it's the man that abandons the mom and child leaving the mom to do the job of both. In many of these cases, it's the woman who is the only one making a good faith effort to be a parent. Personally, I dismiss just about any excuse a man might contrive to justify his abandonment of his child because there is no justifiable excuse.