Black Short Stories : Fatal Surprise-Final Chapter

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by me4themind, Jul 8, 2004.

1. me4themind

me4themind Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Part VIII…Final Chapter

Deon stood there in utter disbelief. The color drained from his face.
    “This is not my wife.”

“Pardon me?”

“Doctor, this is not my wife!”

The doctor walked over to the medical chart placed at the foot of the bed and read off the name, “Chantal D. Waller?”

“That’s my wife’s name but this is not her.”

“Are you sure?”

“Doctor, I think I would know my wife if I saw here!”

“I don’t understand! That is the name we were provided when she was brought in.”

Deon was totally confused, lying before him was the cause of his recent disorder…Kyla. I don’t understand! This doesn’t make any sense! He couldn’t remember her name but he remembered her face.

“Mr. Waller, we have some of her possessions here and there is a wallet full of credit cards and bank cards with the name Chantal D. Wallace. There was no other identification found on her. Do you know her at all?”

“No…yes…I mean I’ve met her but I don’t know her.”

“What is her correct name?”

“I don’t know. I mean I don’t remember. Look Doctor, I have to go and find my wife. I have to find out what the hell is going on.”

Just as Deon turned to leave his cell phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Deon…” Chantal faint voice sounded into the phone.

“Chantal! Chantal where the hell are you? What’s going on?”

“I…ummm…I’m home. Where are you?” Her voice could barely be heard. She sounded worn and exhausted.”

“Home? When did you get home?”

“I don’t know Deon. Where are you? I need you to come home. We need to talk.”

“Yes we do. I’m at the hospital.”

“What!? Are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m fine. I got a call saying that you were here.”

“What!? Me?”

“Yes Chantal. I don’t know what the hell is going on?”

“I don’t know either”

“I’m on my way! Stay there!”

Deon flew out of the hospital and charged home. As he pulled into the driveway of his house he was overwhelmed by a sense of panic. Something was telling him that he was in for a surprise. He gathered up his courage and stepped out the SUV. He walked through the front door and found Chantal sitting in the living room holding the phone with a look of confusion on her face. She handed him the phone without a word.

“Hello?”

“Mr. Waller, this is Dr. Schaffer…”

“Yes?”

“Back in the hospital you stated you knew the young lady that is in our care but couldn’t remember her name. Do you know where she might possibly live or if she has any family/friends in the area?”

“I’m sorry but I really can’t remember much about her. All I remember is her face. I just met her one night at a bar.” Chantal’s eyes grew wide.

“Well if you remember her name please give me a call back at the hospital. It is very important we reach someone, it doesn’t appear as though she will make it through the night.”

“Wow, okay. I’ll be sure to call you if I remember anything.”

Deon hung up the phone and Chantal ran into his arms, weeping. There they stood for what seemed like an eternity just holding each other and sharing each others heartache and pain. Chantal looked up at Deon with tears flowing down her cheeks and said, “Baby, I’m sorry!”

“No Chantal, I’m sorry. I never meant to hurt you, I was just….” Chantal placed a finger on Deon’s lips… “I have something to tell you and I think you should sit down. I met the woman you slept with!” Deon felt his heart drop into his stomach.

“What? How?”

“Well, after I left here the other night I went to this bar….I was crying and she came over and started talking to me. I stayed the weekend at her house and that’s where I found this.” She held up his watch. Deon felt faint. He could here his name being called but it seemed so distant.

Mr. Waller….Mr. Waller…“Mr. Waller!” Deon jumped up out of his sleep disoriented. When he became alert, he realized he was still sitting in the waiting room of the hospital. He had fallen asleep. Oh thank God, it was just a dream…a crazy dream. He rose up to meet the doctor.

“Mr. Waller, I’m Doctor Rossiter...”

“Doc, how is my wife?”

“Your wife is doing fine however we were unable to save the baby.”

“Baby?”

“Yes, she was three months pregnant.”

Deon slumped down in the chair. “We had been trying for a year now to get pregnant. We didn’t think she would be able to get pregnant. She…” Deon chocked on his words.

“Mr. Waller, I’m sorry. We tried everything we could but we failed.”

“No, I failed! Doc, can I see my wife now?”

“Sure. Let me show you the way.”

Deon followed the doctor through the double doors and down a lengthy colorless corridor. When they arrived in front of the Intensive Care Unit, Deon paused and said a quick prayer for strength and walked in to the room. There laid his picturesque wife. Even with, her hair disheveled, lips chapped, and plugged up to all kinds of machines she still looked like an angel but she also had a look of grief.

“I’ll leave you two alone.” The doctor turned and left the room.
    Deon walked over to Chantal’s bedside where she laid sleeping. He delicately brushed the hair away from her face then bent down and kissed her gently on the lips. “Chantal, what have I done to you? I never meant for things to turn out this way. It was all just a stupid mistake. I’m soooo sorry.” Deon began weeping but he was interrupted by a phone ringing. He checked his cell phone but it wasn’t his he looked around the room and spotted Chantal’s belongings. He went over and found her cell phone.

“Chantal, please don’t hang up and don’t say anything just listen please. I didn’t know he was your husband and I’m really sorry but I’m not sorry about what we shared. These pass two days have been magic for me and I never felt like this about anyone. I know you’re probably upset and confused right now but…”

The phone came crashing down to the ground and Deon just looked at his wife still laying there in her slumber.

The End…maybe​

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    a beautiful closure to a story this was very nice

3. lil'MizzUnique

lil'MizzUnique Active Member MEMBER

high skool student
    Ratings: