Audio Video Web Conferencing : Fat Tuesday, Madi Gras

Astrologer4U

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 18, 2008
California
Occupation
Self Employed
Hey everyone, I was in New Orleans from February 23rd to February 28th for the Madi Gras/Fat Tuesday. This was my second time visiting New Orleans but my first time attending the Madi Gras. Has anyone else at Destee.com ever been to the Madi Gras? if so, please share your experience. I for one had a really good time and I really enjoyed the black people of New Orleans, they really know how to have a good time.

Some things I observed that I wanted to share. The Madi Gras parade is 80 percent about the Zulus and 20 percent about the Indians but both are equally great!

Lots of white people attend the Madi Gras as well as blacks however some things have not changed in terms of how black people go out of their way to appease white people. During the Madi Gras, a lot of gifts are given away for free. Things like the traditional beads, dolls, Umbrellas, stuffed animals, even eye glasses and designer purses... I mean, just all kinds of stuff, you name it. However, although most of the Zulus are Black, some of them are white. Any way, when the gifts are being thrown into the crowd as the Zulus go by on the floats, when it comes to white people, more gifts are put directly into their hands by the black Zulus. The Zulu coconut is the most sought out gift that everyone goes after. I witnessed twice, one white person get 3 coconuts put into his hand all at one time and another white guy get 4 coconuts all at one time, put into his hand. The coconuts do particularly have to be put into ones hands because someone could get hurt if the coconuts are thrown like the other gifts are, but the norm would be to hand out one coconut at a time to different people. I my self was able to get 3 coconuts which I had to work very hard to get and I got them all at different times. I will upload pictures of my coconuts to this thread once I figure out how to do it.

Any way, needless to say, the Madi Gras started out as an enjoyment for white people and the people who participated in creating the Madi Gras enjoyment for white people, were needless to say, Black and Indian. Quite naturally I guess, more gifts would be given to white people :qqb022:

Also, white people had the better locations for viewing the parade, they also had these ladders that had children's chairs at the top for which white people sat their children upon, in order so that their children could better see the parade and have the fun opportunity of throwing all these pretty sparkly things out into the crowd.

In New Orleans, Madi Gras/Fat Tuesday, is a holiday and mostly all of the businesses are closed, even the schools are closed. Everyone is at the Madi Gras. People are celebrating within the vicinity of the parade. Some people had their RV's parked under freeways and they were cooking food along side their Rv's up under the freeway. Cooking was taking place all over New Orleans streets in the vicinity of the Madi Gras, It was a great experience. They said on the news that some shooting took place, I don't know if that is true. Everyone seemed to be very peaceful, I saw no fights breaking out over people getting bumped or people getting their shoes stepped on.I heard no gunshots. I love New Orleans and the Madi Gras is a real treat.

Here is what the Zulu Coconuts look like. Notice how the white guy has so many of them...

And here is a glimpse at the Madi Gras Indians...

Zulus on floats throwing gifts into the crowd... If you watch closely, about 3 people get a gold coconut put into their hand... 2:43-2:51

Astrologer4U

peace sister

I have been reading some of your posts and find some very enlightening information.

you are so appreciated.

i was there last year

i was pre occupied...

did u notice that all of the streets are named after catholic saints or spanish conquerors...

did u notice how most of the black people speak french...

mardi gras was traditionally an indian festival i beleive... until all of the indians of that tribe were extinguished...

there was a plethora of culture in louisianna once upon a time and the process of replacing original with replica was overly apparent as i walked thru the streets of new orleans....

i too enjoyed the black people.. but the lost of culture hurt more then allowed me enjoyment at times...

one love

I have been reading some of your posts and find some very enlightening information.

you are so appreciated.

Thank you very much:roll:

i was there last year

i was pre occupied...

did u notice that all of the streets are named after catholic saints or spanish conquerors...

I noticed that the Parishes are named after Catholic Saints.

did u notice how most of the black people speak french...

I didn't see one black person speaking French, nor did I see white people speaking French until I went into Vasherie Lousianna for the plantation tour. The European family who owned the Laura plantation were French, so the tour was given in French or English, which ever one the tourist spoke and those people speaking French were white. Other than that, everyone was speaking english.

mardi gras was traditionally an indian festival i beleive... until all of the indians of that tribe were extinguished...

I been researching the origins of the Madi Gras but I have not stumbled upon any concrete information as of yet, when I do, I will post it.

there was a plethora of culture in louisianna once upon a time and the process of replacing original with replica was overly apparent as i walked thru the streets of new orleans....

Now I can some what agree with that...

i too enjoyed the black people.. but the lost of culture hurt more then allowed me enjoyment at times...

one love

You say you were there last year, well they say that each year the Madi Gras is picking back up sense Katrina. The turn out this year was amazing. I do agree about the loss of culture. The last time I went to New Orleans, I noticed that most of the restaraunts were not as busy, well, this time, each restaraunt I went to was full, and it was full of locals. I even mentioned that to some of the people I know from there and they said that they had noticed the same thing as well. The people of New Orleans don't seem to be cooking their own food these days. I got lucky at the Madi Gras, a lady was selling Home made Pralines, I brought ten of them. I think the Pralines was about the only homemade thing I had the whole time I was there. It is not like New Orleans Natives to be dependant upon someone elses cooking.

Astrologer4U

I am glad you enjoyed your experience, Sistah A4U. When I have another free and available shot, I myself will make time to head to NOLA for Fat Tuesday, possibly within the next two years.

When I was in Florida years ago and in the church, my pastor and her husband would always tell the congregation that Mardi Gras for the "devil." In fact, they felt as though Katrina was "Jesus" was of saying, "put an end to the Mardi Gras!"

I am thankful to be liberated from such bondage.

Again, glad you enjoyed your experience!

KWABENA

I am glad you enjoyed your experience, Sistah A4U. When I have another free and available shot, I myself will make time to head to NOLA for Fat Tuesday, possibly within the next two years.

I may see you there...

When I was in Florida years ago and in the church, my pastor and her husband would always tell the congregation that Mardi Gras for the "devil." In fact, they felt as though Katrina was "Jesus" was of saying, "put an end to the Mardi Gras!"

Those kind of people are really upsetting, can't believe that they still exist...

I am thankful to be liberated from such bondage.

I am glad for you as well...

Again, glad you enjoyed your experience!

KWABENA

Thank you, I been to New Orleans 2 times, and each time I have left I just can't seem to get New Orleans out of my mind...

Astrologer4U

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back