Health and Wellness : Fat and getting fatter: U.S. obesity rates to soar by 2030

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... WoW! So, this report focuses on those of us in the black community without directly doing so, smh:

EDUCATION AND INCOME
Obesity has long been associated with education and income. The report found that about one-third of adults without a high school diploma were obese, compared with about one-fifth of those who graduated from college or technical college.
And one-third of adults who earn less than $15,000 per year are obese, compared to one-quarter of those who earned $50,000 or more per year. The obesity-poverty connection reflects such facts that calorie-dense foods are cheap and that poor neighborhoods have fewer playgrounds, sidewalks and other amenities that encourage exercise.

Fat and getting fatter: U.S. obesity rates to soar by 2030

2012-09-18T193831Z_1_CBRE88H1IK900_RTROPTP_2_USA.JPG

An overweight woman watches a street performer at Venice Beach in Los Angeles, California, May 11, 2012. Picture taken May 11, 2012. REUTERS/David McNew

NEW YORK (Reuters) - If Americans stick to their eating and exercise habits, future historians will look back on the early 21st century as a golden age of svelte.
Using a model of population and other trends, a new report released on Tuesday by the Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation projects that half of U.S. adults will be obese by 2030 unless Americans change their ways.
http://news.yahoo.com/fat-getting-fatter-u-obesity-rates-soar-2030-140534331.html

Peace In,

Just happened to come across this.. although it may seem as though we are being targeted, it's safe to say that we DO face an over weight or obesity epidemic. I don't know if the numbers are "skewed" but it does seem as though MORE education needs to be put out into the black communities on healthy eating, how to purchase foods that are healthier, how to prepare foods that are healthier and staying out of the fast food drive through.

Of course these particular stats focused more on education and obesity and yes to some degree that is real, at least according to my DOH, however, the "over weight" and obesity issue has many more "reasons" or causes in my opinion. America HAS to stand up and be held accountable, by America I mean THE GOVERNMENT in re-creating a more up to date food pyramid. In making healthier foods affordable, in providing education in how to purchase these foods AND how to prepare them so that they are delicious.

Also, advocating for more movement and exercise within the black communities AND by putting more strict rules and regulations in the kinds of foods we keep being introduced too. You know, Burger Kings, McDonald's, KFC and TO STOP creating GMO foods that cause obesity. THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO STOP placing these killer foods in the black or people of color communities because when you go into white ones you do not all of these fat (fast) food businesses lining their streets! They have healthier choices, like grocery stores like World foods, Better health, Foods for living etc. NO BURGER KING in sight. Hmmm makes one think if black communities or people of color communities were TARGETED for obesity??:thinking: and now it's an "epidemic."

Well there is plenty of stats and evidence to show that this epidemic is NOT just a black problem. AMERICA has this problem.

My answer to this entire issue is to BE the change we WISH to see!

Just happened to come across this.. although it may seem as though we are being targeted, it's safe to say that we DO face an over weight or obesity epidemic. I don't know if the numbers are "skewed" but it does seem as though MORE education needs to be put out into the black communities on healthy eating, how to purchase foods that are healthier, how to prepare foods that are healthier and staying out of the fast food drive through.

Of course these particular stats focused more on education and obesity and yes to some degree that is real, at least according to my DOH, however, the "over weight" and obesity issue has many more "reasons" or causes in my opinion. America HAS to stand up and be held accountable, by America I mean THE GOVERNMENT in re-creating a more up to date food pyramid. In making healthier foods affordable, in providing education in how to purchase these foods AND how to prepare them so that they are delicious.

Also, advocating for more movement and exercise within the black communities AND by putting more strict rules and regulations in the kinds of foods we keep being introduced too. You know, Burger Kings, McDonald's, KFC and TO STOP creating GMO foods that cause obesity. THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO STOP placing these killer foods in the black or people of color communities because when you go into white ones you do not all of these fat (fast) food businesses lining their streets! They have healthier choices, like grocery stores like World foods, Better health, Foods for living etc. NO BURGER KING in sight. Hmmm makes one think if black communities or people of color communities were TARGETED for obesity??:thinking: and now it's an "epidemic."

Well there is plenty of stats and evidence to show that this epidemic is NOT just a black problem. AMERICA has this problem.

My answer to this entire issue is to BE the change we WISH to see!

Coger, it would be good if you could watch the documentary, The Weight of the Nation. I watched it and it was really revealing. Obesity is a serious health problem in the USA and here in Barbados and a world wide problem.. The World Health Organisation is really concerned. I have never had a problem with weight. I believe the key is to cook your own food, and forget the fast food. Exercise is good too. The sodas that many consume should be avoided.

Coger, it would be good if you could watch the documentary, The Weight of the Nation. I watched it and it was really revealing. Obesity is a serious health problem in the USA and here in Barbados and a world wide problem.. The World Health Organisation is really concerned. I have never had a problem with weight. I believe the key is to cook your own food, and forget the fast food. Exercise is good too. The sodas that many consume should be avoided.

Very good documentary dunwiddat! Check out "hungry for change" and " Fast food nation" and "Food matters".

All informative.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back