Health and Wellness : Fat and getting fatter: U.S. obesity rates to soar by 2030

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... WoW! So, this report focuses on those of us in the black community without directly doing so, smh:

Fat and getting fatter: U.S. obesity rates to soar by 2030

[​IMG]
    An overweight woman watches a street performer at Venice Beach in Los Angeles, California, May 11, 2012. Picture taken May 11, 2012. REUTERS/David McNew

NEW YORK (Reuters) - If Americans stick to their eating and exercise habits, future historians will look back on the early 21st century as a golden age of svelte.
    Using a model of population and other trends, a new report released on Tuesday by the Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation projects that half of U.S. adults will be obese by 2030 unless Americans change their ways.
    http://news.yahoo.com/fat-getting-fatter-u-obesity-rates-soar-2030-140534331.html

Peace In,

2. Moon Child

Moon Child Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +279
    Just happened to come across this.. although it may seem as though we are being targeted, it's safe to say that we DO face an over weight or obesity epidemic. I don't know if the numbers are "skewed" but it does seem as though MORE education needs to be put out into the black communities on healthy eating, how to purchase foods that are healthier, how to prepare foods that are healthier and staying out of the fast food drive through.

Of course these particular stats focused more on education and obesity and yes to some degree that is real, at least according to my DOH, however, the "over weight" and obesity issue has many more "reasons" or causes in my opinion. America HAS to stand up and be held accountable, by America I mean THE GOVERNMENT in re-creating a more up to date food pyramid. In making healthier foods affordable, in providing education in how to purchase these foods AND how to prepare them so that they are delicious.

Also, advocating for more movement and exercise within the black communities AND by putting more strict rules and regulations in the kinds of foods we keep being introduced too. You know, Burger Kings, McDonald's, KFC and TO STOP creating GMO foods that cause obesity. THE GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO STOP placing these killer foods in the black or people of color communities because when you go into white ones you do not all of these fat (fast) food businesses lining their streets! They have healthier choices, like grocery stores like World foods, Better health, Foods for living etc. NO BURGER KING in sight. Hmmm makes one think if black communities or people of color communities were TARGETED for obesity??:thinking: and now it's an "epidemic."

Well there is plenty of stats and evidence to show that this epidemic is NOT just a black problem. AMERICA has this problem.

My answer to this entire issue is to BE the change we WISH to see!

3. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Coger, it would be good if you could watch the documentary, The Weight of the Nation. I watched it and it was really revealing. Obesity is a serious health problem in the USA and here in Barbados and a world wide problem.. The World Health Organisation is really concerned. I have never had a problem with weight. I believe the key is to cook your own food, and forget the fast food. Exercise is good too. The sodas that many consume should be avoided.

4. Moon Child

Moon Child Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +279
    Very good documentary dunwiddat! Check out "hungry for change" and " Fast food nation" and "Food matters".

All informative.

5. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

Thanks I will check these out.

6. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    Keep the dietary laws with a moderate diet and workout should help destroy that epidemic, but most of our women today don't know how cook, and eat whatever they want.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

All good advice dunwiddat, thanks. The First Lady, Michelle Obama, has a good program going as well... Are you talking about this:

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

Mrs. Obama is certainly on point as the First Lady with her fitness program for the Nation:

Michelle Obama’s 11 Diet and Fitness Secrets[​IMG]

But on Tuesday, it was Michelle Obama who stole back the fitness spotlight. In her inaugural posts on iVillage.com, where she is guest-editing for the month, the first lady opens up about her diet and fitness routine. It’s all part of a moms-centric back-to-school push in which Obama expounds on the challenges of parenting and being healthy. From her new pearls of wisdom to old favorites, we pick the 11 best Michelle Obama diet and workout tips of all-time:
    1. She Doesn’t Count Calories
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/22/michelle-obama-s-11-diet-and-fitness-secrets.html

Peace In,

9. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Watched "Food Matters" on netflix...very good information..scared the crap outta me.

10. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    African-Americans do have a weight issue...Along with diabetes and high-cholesterol...and cancer as well.
    If we can control what we in take in our bodies and exercise we can knock most of these epidemics out the park.