Fasting?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Mahogany_Brown, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Mahogany_Brown

Mahogany_Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know anthing about fasting? I am trying to detox my system and I heard that this is a good way to do it? If you anyone knows about this, can u please tell me how long should this should be done and also what to take? Thankyou

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    This is an interesting topic, Mahogany. I'm curious now to see what suggestions you get in response to your questions.

Peace!

3. NADIA*BINTA

NADIA*BINTA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    i don't know a whole lot, but i do know that fasting acts as a physical and spiritual cleanser... could be from a 24hr period to 3 days or maybe even 40 days & 40 nights like Jesus (PBUH)... if you have that kind of staying power :)... i've fasted for 24 hr periods w/no food or water and during the holy month of Ramadan w/ no food or water from dawn to dusk... and i've heard of those who fast up to 3 days w/water, juice or coffee...

i don't know if there is any set procedure of how you fast... because any period w/o food, especially, and water is serving as a type of detox for your body... i'd just advice you listen to your own body and see how to personalize fasting for yourself...

don't know if that helped any... just thought i'd share :)...

peace

4. Mahogany_Brown

Mahogany_Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot NADIA*BINTA,

Yes that did help, I wasn't sure how long one could fast or what type of substance u could take..But now that u explained some things to me I think I might try the 3 day fast on mainly juices. I'm not too sure if I'll be able to make it though, because I heard also that it can be a painful process. I appreciate your suggestion.
    Peace

5. NADIA*BINTA

NADIA*BINTA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    oh, sistah, forgot to tell you that during your fast you could drink herbal teas also... would be good if you researched which kind you drink, because some types can help with the negative side affects of extended fasting... (headaches, weakness, etc)

good luck...

peace

6. LibertyLady

LibertyLady Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker...
    Ratings:
    +9
    just try .....on a saturday on a sunday......)0.00 from that time in the night you dont eat ....until sunday 0.00...
    i mean one day is good for a start..........
    you rest....read....Bibel.. or koran... pray..whatever you like.or do sumthing else .....walk meditate in natuur...
    you can drink.....or not it depents on what you choose for.....
    you ....
    good luck...
    if you pass it ....its a wonderfull thing....
    brings you closer to god and............

you start faleu food......extreamly!..
    and you realize how blessed you are....
    cause some have not...
    and experiance this every day...
    i mean..
    not eating..
    having food every day...

7. MaMa Diaomi

MaMa Diaomi Member MEMBER

Ital/Vegan Chef Part-time Events Coordinator....Vo
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes the body needs a break....especially the digetive system. In this case fasting comes in quite handy. I have a plant based diet....and try to eat as much raw as possible. I've been told that raw foods digest faster so I don't fast as much as I used to. Usually I would fast from twenty four hours to one week on juices. Fifty percent carrot twenty five celery and the other twenty five on beets. IT was difficult at first, but if you stick with it you'll find that the benifits are worth it. You need to becareful after you fast. Most of us would hurry and eat a large meal. This is not wise. When you fast you should start back eating small meals. Preferably meals with a liquid base such as soup or a light stew then work you way to thicker substances.

8. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I fast about 2 times a year, usually in the spring and fall when the seasons change. Normally I fast for 7 days, but my longest fast was for 11 days.

Fasting begins when carbohydrate stores (mostly glycogen) are depleted. This happens within 12-24 hours. Fasting can continue as long as fat stores remain to be metabolized for fuel (ketosis). This is usually 5-6 weeks for the average person. Longer for the obese, shorter for the emaciated.

1) Appetite pains for a few days.
    2) Weakness due to burning up waste in system (headache, dizziness). Drink much water, it helps to eliminate waste in system. Sleep and rest more than usual.
    3) Physical fitness and well being -- a time to seek God. I like taking long walks while fasting...it seems like nature speaks to me during that time.

4) True hunger -- to continue on after this can bring body destruction or death.

BREAK A LONG FAST SLOWLY!

9. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I started my fall fast yesterday...not sure just yet how long I will stick it out...but the body usually will let you know when it's had enough

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fasting for black people