Black Weight Loss : Fast For 24 Hours

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Destee, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Peace and Blessings Family,

As I've already said, I've never been skinny. Being overweight is something that has burdened me all of my life, even as a child. I remember when I was a child, and my Mother trying everything to help me lose weight. It was so krazee. I was the only fat child in the Family, and always sad about it. My Mother didn't really know what to do to help me, as she didn't have a weight problem, neither did any of her other children. But she loved me so, and tried everything she could think of to help me.

Which brings me to the topic of this particular thread, fasting for 24 hours.

I remember one of the things that we tried, as a result of my pediatrician recommending it, was that I fast for 24 hours ... lol ... oh my gosh, just thinking about it makes me laugh, as I was so not successful.

But anyway, Dr. Gonzales (that was his name, a really sweet old man), told my Mother and I that if I could fast for 24 hours, it would jump start my weight loss, helping to get my eating under control.

Now, I'm no doctor, and don't recommend anyone doing this without first consulting their physician and making sure it's okay for you to do. Many of us suffer from a host of different ailments, that require we eat every day, so please don't do anything that will hurt your own self.

But if you are able to fast for 24 hours, it might help to jump start your weight loss effort.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    I've fasted but not for weight loss reasons. It is rewarding though. My weight has fluctuated but, I just don't focus on it. I focus on trying to eat right and aerobics because it makes me feel good.

3. Seneb

Seneb Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,187
    Hmm....I fast for 24 hours since i eat once a day:)

4. katalo28

katalo28 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    :( I need to lose about 70 pounds to even tape into the Guard. I have been running all year long, I know that I am not going to lose weight over night but I know that I could do better. My biggest problem is eating. My family does not take restrictive eating very seriously. I can't always eat something healthy because my mom seems to always want to take the easy way out with cooking by frying and fixing a bunch of sweets and buying alot of drinks. What can I do and how can I do it. If I bought my own food I would go broke trying to feed myself and I wouldn't have many places to store it at. I need help....badly!!!!!!!!:confused:

5. mizwrite28

mizwrite28 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Peace,
    I think that when people who don't fast hear that word and a number of days behind it sounds like maybe that would be dangerous. It is exactly the opposite. Fasting is so beneficial to our bodies. I strive to eat one meal a day because that's what we are taught to do. I say strive because I fall off and run over to Red Robin and eat veggie burgers from time to time.:) But that 24 hour span between meals is so helpful in the way that it rids the body of toxins and aids in maintaining your weight. Try it for a couple of days it's much easier than it sounds.