Black People : Fantasia's New Book - Someone Else Wrote

I read that the other day and it bothered me but no more than most things I read in the news. I know a couple of boys that I went to school with who couldn't read and to me it says a lot about how much some of the teachers care about their students , and it also brings up the point of class size which puts a lot of kids who are on that borderline of making it and not making it suffer but it speaks volumes volumes about what we as parents need to do concerning our children's education. My Daddy always told me "your education is what you make of it" . My Mama was a teacher and my Daddy was a jack of all trades but was well read and even though my teachers failed many times to show and teach us things that should be necessary my parents didn't miss a stroke...My Daddy used to make me read the dictionary and or encyclopedia daily even weekends, never gave me the spelling or meaning of a word only said " look it up you know how to use the book", and my Mama brought home more worksheets for math,english and such than the law should have allowed. I also was made to read anything and everything , comics, magazines, sci-fi, non-fiction, biographies, newspapers, I mean everything,they even taught me the correct way to turn a page in a book and I hated it but now I see clearly it helped so I do the same to my kids and of course they hate it but my people will never be able to say my kids were undereducated and my kids will never have that excuse of well I never learned how to do such and such..don't get me wrong

I'm glad for old girl she was blessed she came up in a big way but why the hell is she still sitting around and complaining and whining " I went through American Idol and couldn't read, and she's in her 20's ?" come on now...she should have gotten on that horse and rode a long time ago...you know you can't read, then learn how, take a course for adults, do something but don't just say oh well I can't read or write and I'm not doing anything to change it ....I have no sympathy for that with the wealth of information and knowledge available to us there is no reason not to use it for so long we were restricted from knowing and reading and studying certain things heck my Granddaddy never learned how to read and now that we can we don't want to ....man I'm still in school taking all kinds of classes still reading anything I can get my hands on because there is no excuse not to . Well that's my 1/2 a cent ...hopefully she's back in school trying to get her weight up but if not that's completely on her....but as for me and mine we're going to get that knowledge...oh and one more thing for yall that have kids teach them to respect books it's just a pet peave of mine to see kids kicking books, stepping on them etc, I was taught to respect books even if I didn't buy it anyway now I'm done for real....

MississippiRed

Shes functional illeterate, not completely illeterate..
Functional means that you can read basic things.. during the day. But you will not be able to sit down with a good book.. and ready, sound words out.. nor will you be able to fill out your on taxes.

Deepvoice said:
She came on WGCI and said it. WGCI is a popular radiostation here in Chicagoland(metropolitan area). She really is illiterate.

This says a lot about the inadequate approach to reading and comprehension schools take today. I recall a scholastic reader my school had in the library. I used to spend my free time using. It measured my reading and comprehension skills and gave me immediate results.

Schools are so pressured to pass students along to gain funding and teachers are on probation and evaluations ( always fearing disapline and termination ) that makes them push students performing below standards along.

It’s not her fault. It is an indictment on the education system. All of the funding is wasted, not provided and limited in many schools. Teachers have to come from personal savings with no reimbursement to supply many tools to help students.

Books chosen aren’t the best that are available. The school boards have to be challenged and change the controls they have on teachers independence. Private schools teachers and boards have latitude ( talk and discuss what they want to use and teach from ) ( they can't tell a doctor that this procedure is best to use, or a carpenter that the right tool for planing is still the hand plane ) in choosing their books and they are offered independence and better book choices from McGraw.

www.mcgraw-hill.com

http://www.passkeylearning.com/

Welcome to PassKey
PassKey is an easy-to-use, self-paced learning system designed to help a wide range of students gain proficiency in reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. Hundreds of Web-based lessons—spanning five skill levels and ranging from grades 1.5 to college entry—challenge beginning to advanced learners.

http://www.mheducation.com/products/index.shtml

Parents have to invest in additional reading and math material. My house has three book shelves full of things. I purchased to help my children comprehend. I talk with them about various subjects always testing them for awareness. I spend time over their shoulders helping them and learning while they do their home work. I ask everyday. Have you done your home work and I look at the test and grades after and discuss how they can improve. Invest in them and they will invest in time.

The only thing the Republicans have said right is there is to much government control and big goverment is bad. What hey fail to do is cut the size, influence on :yesno: personal choice, and of government. Their only job is to provide the funding and leave the control up to the experts the teachers.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back