Black People : Fantasia's New Book - Someone Else Wrote

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Crowd packs bookstore for 'American Idol' winner

By sarah buchanan
    October 10, 2005

Philadelphia resident Crystal Smaller left the Penn Bookstore Friday inspired.
    In her hands, she clutched an autographed copy of American Idol winner Fantasia's new book -- impressive because the author did not pen a single sentence.

Fantasia, winner of the third season of the hit Fox show, had to dictate her book to a ghostwriter because she cannot write.

In her book's second chapter, Fantasia reveals that she dropped out of school while in the ninth grade. One reason, she confessed, was that "I really couldn't read ... I had gotten to the eighth grade, but I had really just slid by."

Fantasia soon had a child and began singing to earn a living.

Things turned around for her last May, as she emerged triumphant over about 70,000 Idol hopefuls. She beat finalist Diana DeGarmo by a margin of 1.3 million votes out of 65 million cast. After her victory, her debut single "I Believe" opened at No. 1 and her first album brought her voice to radio stations nationwide.

While competing on American Idol, Fantasia struggled with her limited reading skills, performing songs based on having previously heard them. Now, however, she's focusing on another one of her dreams: earning her GED.

Full Article: http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/10/10/434a0255823d0

Family ... what, if anything, does this say about the condition of our youth and young adults?

We will be reading in our Online Book Club tomorrow night. Click here for more info. Let's read together.

Much Love and Peace

:heart:

Destee

2. Jflex!

Jflex! Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    If anything, I think it says that she was very fortunate to achieve the level of success that she has, while illiterate. Hopefully she gets her GED and develops a love for reading & becomes an actual "student".

We all know that learning is a life-long process that must be enjoyed to be endured, and she will need to prepare her child earlier than perhaps her parents prepared her.

3. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Okay.. most autobiographies are not by they actual person. Many ppl hire ppl to write it for them.. to follow them around.. transcribe their stories and thoughts.. most publishers will be glad to send someone to do this for a busy person.. whos book can make a nice bit of dough. I do applaud her however for... admiting. Its not easy admitting to others your weaknesses... and the school system these days claim so often that these ppl do not slip by.. and this proves.. that there is still a problem. We should thank her for her contributions.. musically.. ethically.. and personally. For exposing the plight..of a black child left behind.

4. ladymonay

ladymonay New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully she will not only get her GED, but give back by passing on what she's learned to someone else who fell through the cracks.

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Poetic is absolutely correct, most autobiographies are not written by the actual person. Thus the real story is not Fantasia having someone else writting her autobiography. The real story is a young lady who went through 20 years of life not being able to read. A young lady who dropped out of high school in the 9th grade, and who had a child with a man that gave her no support....one who by her own admission didn´t do much of anything until she entered a singing contest called American Idol. The real story is of a young lady who has become successful because of a God giving talent (her amazing voice). In my opinion Fantasia is the only true star that Americal Idol has produced; however, what would have happened if she never won? Many people where critical of her song, "Baby Momma" because they felt it glamorized single parenthood & teen mothers. I was one of them, and this revelation doesn´t make me change my mind.

6. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    She came on WGCI and said it. WGCI is a popular radiostation here in Chicagoland(metropolitan area). She really is illiterate.

7. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I read that the other day and it bothered me but no more than most things I read in the news. I know a couple of boys that I went to school with who couldn't read and to me it says a lot about how much some of the teachers care about their students , and it also brings up the point of class size which puts a lot of kids who are on that borderline of making it and not making it suffer but it speaks volumes volumes about what we as parents need to do concerning our children's education. My Daddy always told me "your education is what you make of it" . My Mama was a teacher and my Daddy was a jack of all trades but was well read and even though my teachers failed many times to show and teach us things that should be necessary my parents didn't miss a stroke...My Daddy used to make me read the dictionary and or encyclopedia daily even weekends, never gave me the spelling or meaning of a word only said " look it up you know how to use the book", and my Mama brought home more worksheets for math,english and such than the law should have allowed. I also was made to read anything and everything , comics, magazines, sci-fi, non-fiction, biographies, newspapers, I mean everything,they even taught me the correct way to turn a page in a book and I hated it but now I see clearly it helped so I do the same to my kids and of course they hate it but my people will never be able to say my kids were undereducated and my kids will never have that excuse of well I never learned how to do such and such..don't get me wrong

I'm glad for old girl she was blessed she came up in a big way but why the hell is she still sitting around and complaining and whining " I went through American Idol and couldn't read, and she's in her 20's ?" come on now...she should have gotten on that horse and rode a long time ago...you know you can't read, then learn how, take a course for adults, do something but don't just say oh well I can't read or write and I'm not doing anything to change it ....I have no sympathy for that with the wealth of information and knowledge available to us there is no reason not to use it for so long we were restricted from knowing and reading and studying certain things heck my Granddaddy never learned how to read and now that we can we don't want to ....man I'm still in school taking all kinds of classes still reading anything I can get my hands on because there is no excuse not to . Well that's my 1/2 a cent ...hopefully she's back in school trying to get her weight up but if not that's completely on her....but as for me and mine we're going to get that knowledge...oh and one more thing for yall that have kids teach them to respect books it's just a pet peave of mine to see kids kicking books, stepping on them etc, I was taught to respect books even if I didn't buy it anyway now I'm done for real....

MississippiRed

8. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Shes functional illeterate, not completely illeterate..
    Functional means that you can read basic things.. during the day. But you will not be able to sit down with a good book.. and ready, sound words out.. nor will you be able to fill out your on taxes.

9. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    This says a lot about the inadequate approach to reading and comprehension schools take today. I recall a scholastic reader my school had in the library. I used to spend my free time using. It measured my reading and comprehension skills and gave me immediate results.

Schools are so pressured to pass students along to gain funding and teachers are on probation and evaluations ( always fearing disapline and termination ) that makes them push students performing below standards along.

It’s not her fault. It is an indictment on the education system. All of the funding is wasted, not provided and limited in many schools. Teachers have to come from personal savings with no reimbursement to supply many tools to help students.

Books chosen aren’t the best that are available. The school boards have to be challenged and change the controls they have on teachers independence. Private schools teachers and boards have latitude ( talk and discuss what they want to use and teach from ) ( they can't tell a doctor that this procedure is best to use, or a carpenter that the right tool for planing is still the hand plane ) in choosing their books and they are offered independence and better book choices from McGraw.

www.mcgraw-hill.com

http://www.passkeylearning.com/

Welcome to PassKey
    PassKey is an easy-to-use, self-paced learning system designed to help a wide range of students gain proficiency in reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. Hundreds of Web-based lessons—spanning five skill levels and ranging from grades 1.5 to college entry—challenge beginning to advanced learners.

http://www.mheducation.com/products/index.shtml

Parents have to invest in additional reading and math material. My house has three book shelves full of things. I purchased to help my children comprehend. I talk with them about various subjects always testing them for awareness. I spend time over their shoulders helping them and learning while they do their home work. I ask everyday. Have you done your home work and I look at the test and grades after and discuss how they can improve. Invest in them and they will invest in time.

The only thing the Republicans have said right is there is to much government control and big goverment is bad. What hey fail to do is cut the size, influence on :yesno: personal choice, and of government. Their only job is to provide the funding and leave the control up to the experts the teachers.

10. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    I saw this book on the shelf the other day & I was wondering has any1 here read it?I too plan to publish a book aout my life.I guess the best choice for my co-writer would be Stephen King..lol