Black People : Facebook Virus Causes Embarrassment

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, May 3, 2010.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey Fambly,

I was talking to my cousin last night and se told me she had to close her facebook account because of some virus that had hi-jacked her inbox and was sending out these ugly messages with her name on them All her friends and familjy members she had never even met but had contacted her through Facebook received these nmessages like "I saw your nasty *** on..." She was so embarrassed she just closed her account and contacted Facebook to send a message to these people explaining it wasn't her that sent the messages.

She contacted McAffee and the guy told her the virus wasn't from Facebook itself but from one of her friends. When sheo pened smaddy's meassage the virus just came right on in.

I would advise yawl to be careful but I don't even know what careful means. How do you be careful in a pool of sharks or even a pool of goldfish with one shark in it?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I guess you really can't be too careful
    I heard that through e-mails there is a huge worm out there wiggling about

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    some would suggest that one makes sure that one is the biggest, baddest shark in the pool ...

others might suggest picking one's pools carefully ...

java, javascript, flash, activex, sometimes even just images can all be vectors for all that malware. in point of fact, those self-same "vectors" are used by the software industry for market testing/product improvement purposes so "the malware problem" is NOT going to go away. actually, in light of that, still others might suggest that windows, itself, could be a vector for malware.

surf smart! sadly, sometimes that means "surf boringly" ...:

does one need to see every flashy advert on every page? especially since, in too many cases (one is too many) that flashy advert hides a very quiet, very subtle redirect to data mining (well, that would be all advertising since that's it's purpose) or to malicious pages;

be especially careful of those adverts that suggest "scan your computer for [malware/outdated drivers/software upgrades]" unless it is a site that you know of;

<sigh> this whole "the internet is your desktop" bit just scares me! when all of one's work exists out there on the internet so that one has the "convenience" of access to one's data from any computer anywhere, one should remember that others have that same access. and some of those others get paid big bucks and spend lots of time searching out and breaking into those sorts of spaces. as well, if your "personal email" history is sitting up on somebody else's servers, how "personal" can it be?;

and then there is this "social networking" craze. has anyone ever read/heard of the examples of "social engineering" whereby a team will send in folks that seem really innocuous to ask seemingly innocent questions of staff/security/management only to combine the seemingly innocent bits into a whole that allows them to gain entry into some crucial aspect of the business? well, "social networks" allow for that very thing!! even worse; those "teams" are not needed when users are so willing to toss out all that personal info anyway!! did someone say "identity theft"?

since i don't use windows, i can't comment on their efforts at malware prevention/cleaning. but i will say it gives me a sort of "fox guarding the henhouse" sort of "deadbolt on the screen-door in a submarine" feeling.

but do use, and update, anti-malware tools weekly. heck; daily wouldn't hurt sometimes. there was a sticky thread in the Black Geeks forum (i guess it still says "Black Geeks" on what used to look like "Our Obelisk") that directed one toward a number of good malware tools. give it a read; not only anti-malware tools, but pointers to other ways of making one's computing experience "better".

4. Seneb

Seneb Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,187
    Everybody is on Facebook,and i MEAN EVERYBODY:Daddy,Mum,Son,Daugther,Grand dad,Granny....I hate this stuff and i really really don't trust this social networks thing,so i hope more people will get that virus so they will close their account!