Black Parenting : Facebook Parenting For Troubled Teen - Good Or Bad Response From Father?

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by Destee, Feb 28, 2012.

?

Was this a good or bad response by the Father?

1. Good Response

50.0%
  2. Bad Response

50.0%
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,685
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I ran across this video ... part of me is smiling at the weirdness ... but i wonder ... do you think it was a good or bad response by the Father?

After viewing the video, please vote in the poll above and leave your comments below.

Thanks in advance!

:heart:

Destee

2. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137
    Now, I am not the type to publically embarrass my son, in that it was never done to me. I have no problems with punishment for this type of act

3. Kyooms

Kyooms Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +51
    Bad response, the fact that she didn't vent to him about it but felt the need to hide it on Facebook is telling enough, most kids are like that.

The only point of his perspective I can understand is him feeling the need to defend those who are effected other than her parents, like the "cleaning lady". It's just a case of not wanting your dirty laundry aired, but the girl has a right to vent whether it's embarrassing to the parents or not and it's not much different than her letting out her anger to her friends in the middle of a public parking lot.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,685

Peace and Blessings Sister ... i agree with you ... there are all kinds of telling signs within this scenario.

The fact that the Daughter felt the need to go outside of her parents to gain some resolution, is far too often a reality for many. I cringe at the thot of my children taking our personal carrying on's to others, especially to such an open, public forum as facebook ... but it happens ... and could be indicative of their home environment not providing a safe and comfortable enough space for it to be discussed there.

In fact, i remember years ago the "energy" for lack of a better term, where children were encouraged to turn their parents in, tell on them, stripping them of any sense of obligation or honor regarding the private matters that go on in one's home.

While at the same time, children were being mistreated, and desperately needed an outlet.

It's a precarious line ... respecting your family's privacy while being free to make your own public.

I don't envy parents raising children in this facebook age. I expect there will be much more of this.

Love You!

Destee

5. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    i felt like he handled it right. she was disrespectful and that's what she gets really.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Bad response. Busting caps on the laptop is an over the top response. It makes the father look crazy which could come back at him if his daughter filed charges against him. Remember. These days some of these kids try to divorce their parents.

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,685

Thank You Both for Responding! ... :love:

Sister Legit-Writer ... i disagree with you, i don't think he handled it right.

Brother O ... i agree with you, he went way over the top bringing a loaded gun into the situation, and actually pulling the trigger too!

Hopefully it all ends / ended well for them.

Love You Both! :grouphug:

Destee

8. sgage08

sgage08 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    he did what he should have done.
    whether what she said was true or not, KIDS need to know there place and understand that DISRPECTING your parents or ANY adult is not OK.
    I DONT CARE who you are in this world, there are consequences for your actions.
    For every ACTION there is a REACTION. whether ppl agree with them or not, there is still a REaction.
    parents are not perfect and we bad decisions as well, However, we know that certain things are not tolerated and being disrespectful to your parents is one thing any good parents will not tolerate. I would have WHOOPED her behind and then some.
    He paid for it, he provide for her, and she should learn to be grateful for what she has because there is always other children who wish they had 1/2 of what another privileged child has.
    This reply could go on forever, however
    KUDOS to you Sir, You did what you thought was best at the time and thats that.
    these so called new-age parents who want to be their kids bff and not their parents first is the main ppl who children F' THEM and then we here that they are found DEAD bcuz their sick kids killed them.
    If you don't discipline your children "you are a bad" parent and if you DO you are still a bad parent. I know that there is a fine line between disciplining and abusing however his response what nowhere near abusive, She just don't have a computer anymore, I think that the weapon you use to do the deed should be used to punished you in most cases.

Think about it, he could have beat the mess out of her and shot the computer up, then that would have been a whole different scenario.

So get real PEOPLE, his actions are not that off beat. ( you weak parents and dumb people who don't have children.