Black People : EXPORTING JOBS

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by HODEE, May 6, 2004.

1. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    This is one of our problems. I didn't post it on Destee's post ( What is our biggest concern or problem ) because it is different. It tends to lean more towards a boycott.

Supporting companys that don't support Black Americans or Americans in general by sending their jobs and products to be made else where and expecting us to continue buying them. You can't stop using all these products , and you can't boycott all of them. But you can boycott or write a letter to the one's you patronize. ( ex: Don't drink Coca Cola, drink Pepsi. Don't buy a GE product, buy another brand ) If possible search elsewhere for alternative products.

My ISP is Earthlink, and I will send them a letter. My cell phone is Verizon, they won't get a renewal of services and I will send them a letter. My Insurance is Allstate.. I will send them a letter. I may change insurance. But they are all crooked. So I will do what I can to voice my displeasure with this process and plan.

I will also write my Congress Man/ Woman and let them know something needs to be done. These companies cant enjoy the benefits and tax loop holes America provides, flood us with low labor goods, and charge standard prices for the same products. They also went elsewhere to countries so they can contaminate the water, air and break environmental laws they couldn't get away with here.

Not only did they use the coverage of us looking at other issues like the war, and debating Gay rights to run and start their exploitation of us and others less equipted to complain. They took our jobs with them.

Do any of you remember or recall back in the late seventy's there was this BUY AMERICAN products only rally it lasted six months. Well like we took a stand not eat BEEF, because they are poisoning us, with it. Take a moment to unite around a personal boycott of these manufactures if you can afford to buy else where.

Here is a list of companies we've confirmed are "Exporting America." These are U.S. companies either sending American jobs overseas, or choosing to employ cheap overseas labor, instead of American workers.

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou.dobbs.tonight/popups/exporting.america/content.html

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    You are 110% correct Hodee. The exporting of jobs is causing immeasurable damage to our community. It is largely responsible to the depression that the nation is in. Boycotting corporations that don't hire Americans is a good method. A better method is supporting presidential candidates who aren't in bed with big business....ie GWB!

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Brother HODEE, you are absolutely correct in your assessment of the impact that American corporations have on our communities. I do recall the 70s and the Buy American campaign, particularly when it pertained to the car industry. U.S. Steel, General Motors and other such companies left ghost towns with high unemployment and increased numbers of families on State payrolls seeking help, when they left to move to countries like Mexico, overseas and the Caribbean. So this is not a new phenomenon is it? In fact, the company list has grown extensively since the last I saw one like it. I see so many companies that I'm invested in that it isn't funny. With a list like this, it seems almost impossible to separate yourself completely without stripping your current lifestyle significantly. But, therein lies the decision that we all must make. How much are we willing to give up in modern conveniences in order to make a point that we refuse to support anyone that doesn't support us?

How many of the companies on the list have demonstrated support for the Black community even though they invest in cheap labor elsewhere other than the United States? Are there any Black owned or Black led businesses on the list?

Queenie :spinstar:

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Unfortunately I know of at least one on the list, Sean John. These clothes are made in South American factories, instead of black communities, which desperately need the jobs. I suspect the same for Baby Phat & FUBU as well.

5. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Queen It is hard to weean yourself completely from these leeches. As I listed and started to reliize, They have me too. Surrounded my home, life, and cars is Allstate. im on Earthlink now surfing the web, and if I give it up, I will have to inform many that my email address has changed, and move all my mail I stored the last two years into something or somewhere. Then my new contract with Verizon, two years to go, and I'm done with them.. I'm unhappy with the service anyway. This list is the part of the Fortune 500. So the black owned businesses didn't make it. Pan listed two, and there are many others. But we also are intertwined into the major companies like a hydra snake wrapped around us. What a choke hold. Queen I'm gonna eat the elephant one bite at a time. I will start with those letters of dissatisfaction, and then wean myself off the pacifier.

Pan that was a good question. How many still support , and hold their manufacturing here as well. I'm not looking for a way to stay in their corner, but you did pose a good question.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I don't know how we can celebrate black business men getting richer, when they don't give back to the community. I mean sure black kids look cool in P-diddy's & Jay-Z's & Russell Simmon's clothes (so do the white kids that buy them too). However besides making these guys richer, how is the average black person benefitting? How many jobs are being created in black communities? I know some clothing stores in black communities might be selling them...maybe these companies hire a handful of black executives. However a clothing factory would employ thousands of blacks. This is what is needed in our community.

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Companies are only interested in what? PROFIT! The bottom line for corporations is increasing individual wealth.

We all know that the reason they are pulling out of the US is because they don't want to pay American workers a decent living wage because it costs more to live here than it does in these small villages where major corporations are relocating to. What we are witnessing first hand is the way capitalism works. But let's also look at the free enterprise system = supply and demand.

As Black Americans we need to redistribute and control our wealth by making a diligent effort to keep our money in our communities longer such that by doing so benefits us more. We need to stop being such heavy demanders of these other people's products and create another layer in the middle between consumers and manufacturers. Many of us are conspicuous consumers to the degree that we love wearing other people's labels and thinking we're in fashion. We need to stop trying to impress each other when we become walking billboard advertising for these corporations that care less how you live--whether you have a roof over your head, can afford to pay medical bills if your family gets ill, can eat a decent meal, or retire when you're too old or ill to work. When these corporations leave this country to employ others, that's exactly the kind of nightmare that we live every day.

Queenie :spinstar: