Black People : Exploring this concept called 'Discrimination'.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by RAPTOR, Nov 20, 2011.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    It is fair to say that when we hear this word 'discriminate'/'discrimination', most of us think, as it is usually associated with a negative act or by default brings about some kind of negative connotation.

For instance:

Regarding race; if one were to say, 'I only date, or hire my own'. 'Own' as in another from the same race. Observers would view or acknowledge that as something negative. Few would not argue with that as a conclusion.

That's discrimination, right?

Okay.

Now, lets take a woman who only date men taller than her. Is she not discriminating? Would we view or acknowledge that as negative? If not, why not? Similar can be said for men: "My lady gotta have a big butt and a disproportionately small waist". Something to those affects.

Why is it then, for the most part, socially accepted to discriminate based on height and or body dimensions yet not socially accepted to discriminate on race?

Another thought:

Does this say something about allowing others to take primacy over these words?

...Your thoughts.

2. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Definition

1. Etymology

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Who said it is OK to discriminate by height? here in NYC the civil service has laws against that.

But since discrimination is brought up,
    how do folks here tell their children,
    after we have not built any Black industries of any magnitude, chain stores, or manufacturing, or centers of scientific research since we were advised to by the Black Nationalists since the Harme Reniassance,

how do folks explain to their college graduated child, with the massive debt of college tuition around their neck, that affirmative action no longer exists and the jobs that Black folks once got, with just their skills abilities and energy, are now set aside for white only, in a tough job market that will pass them over, by hiring whites who may be less then half qualified?

Now that gays can get married,
    we have slept on the fact that they will now have minority status
    so that, what ever small set asides
    there are for minority contractors, or blue collar or corporate white collar jobs, those things will be there for the benefit of white gays, and a company, factory, hospital or store, can be once again like back in the 50s all white, yet fullfill the governmental requirements of minority hiring.

4. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    As with most of our problems, there is a larger problem looming in the background. Here it is the question: "What is Beauty?" For whereas one can say "Are they discriminating?" it's not concerned over "Why?" It's simply unchallenged when the person says "Preference."

Our people can expect a certain hopelessness so long as they neither know why to discriminate or how. A man may say "I want a woman with a thick waist" but never find happiness despite this self-described preference.

As to 'discrimination' falling to other things besides race. Of course. It confused me as a youth as to how I can be both heterosexual and indiscriminant.

5. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    It would seem from the definition and etymology of the word discriminate meaning to make distinctions, the vulgar has distorted the original meaning of the word.

6. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Agreed. Yet at the same time, does this say something about allowing others to take primacy over these words?

So then, for the sake of discussion, let us deal with the word 'discrimination' in its most true and original meaning as bluelighted.

7. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    By treating all Nubians as the same, discrimination is failing to be employed.

8. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Addendum.

Definition

Etymology

9. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Something that our children will face, and we have done nothing in regards to Black Nationalism or collective economics to provide institutions of employment for them.

10. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I believe you misunderstand me.

To discriminate means to distinguish.

If Nubians are treated as a monolithic group rather than individuals, there is no distinction being made, thus a failure to discriminate.