Science and Technology : Exploring the Surface of Titan with Cassini-Huygens

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gorilla, May 15, 2012.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassini–Huygens

Exploring the Surface of Titan (Smithsonian Lecture):

2. Isfasha

Isfasha Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +44
    I dont understand white people...with their high-tech, their funds and their unparalleled scientific knowledge and they waste it exploring space, are you freaking kiddin me?...when there are so many problems on earth and so many people dying of aids, malaria and malnutrition one would think they would devote themselves to helping their fellow humans. They are so selfish.

They dont understand this concept: "with power comes responsibility"

3. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    It is not white people people that you don't understand it's intelligent people. I find it revolting that you have to associate space exploration with a race and disrespecting black astrophysicists like Neil Degrasse. If anything more money should be spent on space exploration so that when that one asteroid heads toward earth we are not sitting ducks like the dinosaurs were. I wish I could dislike your post.

4. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    Lofty goals like space exploration require solving so many problems that have practical applications, and NASA's operational budget is tiny compared to other expenditure in the U.S.

Source: http://useconomy.about.com/od/usfederalbudget/p/nasa_budget_cost.htm
    Source: http://www.space.com/14551-nasa-budget-2013-request-obama-mars.html

I agree that we should spend more money on social problems, but I think NASA is the wrong spot to go scraping for it.

5. Isfasha

Isfasha Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +44
    The Space Race during the Cold War was a money dump between the U.S and the Soviet Union, both european/white societies, nations or whatever you want to call them. They have been spearheading these missions and programs. Just because there are some non-white dudes here and there doesnt really change the focus that they have been the ones behind the space exploration.

There are no known asteroids heading towards Earth. You can relax, we are not going to go extinct in the near future.

Military developments are even more practical and have solved much more problems than space exploration. The former even accounts for much of the later development. For example, the Wehrmacht developed an advanced rocket program to bomb the UK from mainland Europe. These V-2 rockets are the progenitors of all modern rockets, and many of the german scientists who were involved in these programs were brought to NASA or the Soviet Space Agency to continue their work.

Right know they are working on railguns (ever see the movie Eraser) to deliver a payload to outer space without the use of expensive rockets. More military technology.

Im not againts exploring space, but what could we possibly learn from exploring Titan or any other astral bodies? Telemetric data already show that our solar system is a lifeless desert and we already know what these planets and moons are made off.

6. Gorilla

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    I'd agree that military R&D has provided a lot of benefits by solving practical problems, but its goal is ultimately ugly. There were way better examples such as the Internet and advancements in triage from defense R&D, but ultimately if we want bigger gains we need bigger goals. Heck, you can even credit the war and military R&D with providing the first chemotherapy compounds that were originally used to kill people.

NASA and theoretical physics offer some pretty big goals and they've delivered things that may have or may not have provided enough defense investment interest. Physicists gave us MRI machines. NASA improved solar technology, gave us smoke detectors, insulation, flame retarding, water and air filtration, navigation systems (joint with military R&D). The military will also be enjoying the benefits of all the materials research that is funded by NASA's goals. They've done amazing things with a lot less time and a lot less money.

Studying other bodies in our solar system and the universe improves our understanding of this planet. If we want to make better models on earth, we need better models that describe other planets. For that we need better data, and we need to get a lot closer to verify predictions from the data we've already made, answer questions we couldn't answer far away, and we can learn even more. There's plenty of benefits there.

7. Slick

Slick Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually they are many potentially dangerous asteroids heading towards Earth. It's just that chances of them hitting earth is pretty low and as high as 1 in 40000. The technology associated with space explorations have real applications as well as Gorilla pointed out.

What are you proposing? Spending more money on religion so that people can shield themselves from asteroids with prayers?

8. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    How did I turn out to be a guest here?

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    :qqb009: scientists have the best game of any player…….they get billions to go play with their toys

10. other slick

other slick Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    you became a guest by responding anonymously ... like this ...