Law Forum : Expect to be Strip Searched for Minor Arrests

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Supreme Court upholds jail strip-searches

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Monday that jails do not violate privacy rights by routinely strip-searching everyone, even those arrested on minor traffic offenses.

Attorneys for Albert Florence, who was strip-searched twice at two New Jersey jails in a six-day period after his arrest for an unpaid traffic fine, argued jailers must first have reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing.

At the first jail, Florence said he was ordered to hold out his arms, turn around and lift his genitals. At the second jail, Florence, a finance director at a car dealership, was ordered to squat and cough while jailers looked for contraband.

http://news.yahoo.com/supreme-court-upholds-jail-strip-searches-150357560.html

:heart:

Destee

2. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Dang.

Another reason to not go to prison.

'Squat and cough' -- I don't even want to understand that.

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    yeah, it's simple: don't do stuff that will get you in trouble. and pray that when you look at that crazy actin cop like he's crazy he don't go crazy on you and arrest you on some made up bs ... :lol:

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    all of this is the result of republicans getting elected…….

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

In NY this is nothing new! They have always stripped search people that have been arrested for any offense on the weekend and have to wait to see the judge sometime on monday. You get transferred from whatever precinct you were originally arrested at and then transferred downtown to the "tombs", an underground warehouse for blacks, latinos and dirty white boys where you are immediately strip searched. From there you are either sent home, or remanded tand sent to 'the boat' (rikers island) where the fun really begins...

"you won't be smilin' on Rikers island" - Kool G. Rap

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

More often than not, in Ny you don't have to do anything to get into trouble. All you have to be is WWB and have a bored cop and his partner see you and anything can happen and it usually does.....:wink:

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    I do feel that being stripped searched for 'anything' is just a result of the homosexual nature of this un - civilized white supremist society. This is really not much different than when guys constantly smack other guys on the @ss in sports, symbolizing a 'GOOD JOB' or 'WELL DONE'! The guy also has a back or a shoulder that you can pat him on, so WHY THE @SS?? The female athlete also has the same, so why do they ONLY pat each other on the @SS??

:peeking:

8. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    It would be up to the states and state legislatures to limit and regulate the usage of strip searches.

If such is offered, decline the offer :).

9. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    I hear u, but in reality when it happens, to 'decline the offer' is not a reality, unless you are willing to give your life.....

I've witnessed this first hand, they weren't trying to strip search me but i was walking down the block and 2 cops hopped out the squad car and wanted to search the bag i was carrying. When i declined, the younger officer started to act like he was going for his 9 repeatedly trying to instill fear in me and thus, threatening my life... They threatened to lock me up just because i declined to let them search my bag and kept asking me all types of incriminating questions that i danced around. It wasn't until they got a call on their radio and i heard what precinct they were from that i asked them a question or two because i had just finished playing chess with their black boss.

In short, the legal system you are speaking of does not apply in the streets, but only in the courts. And that's only if the victim of this type of harrassment should make it that far!

My situation could have gone either way. What if the cocky officer would have just lunged out to grab my bag and i snatched it away from him? Do you think he would have laughed it off, or really pulled out his nine and later on said "well, i tried to talk peacefully to the individual but all of a sudden he went into a rage and got violent. So i had to defend myself because i didn't know what he had in that bag"..........

In the streets you re-act, you don't think about quoting any foreighn laws, if you even know them because we know sub-conciously that you can't receive justice on stolen land!

final!

10. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    A strip search would occur at the police station.
    If they did this on the street, you would have a tort claim.
    Recently, the city of Oakland had to shell out a large settlement for doing just the aforementioned.

I still say you can declining the request.
    Why was it a request? He asked you a question, did he not?
    If you are arrested without a warrant, you are entitled to a probable cause hearing by the rules of due process.

That's a bluff. I didn't say cops wouldn't lie and use threat, duress, and coercion tactics. They are testing you to see how committed you are to your position.

You did well by declining to allow them to search your bag, then you caved.

When an officer asked to search any of your personal belongings, you ask if they have a warrant for that.
    When you are asked questions, you answer with a question.
    If they threaten to lock you up, great! You can always use the money .....

Listen, this is an adversarial game. Police are your adversary. Treat them as such.
    If you sleep on your rights or won't exercise them, then you have none. Upholding one's rights is civil combat.
    Most people don't have the stomach for this, I'll be honest.
    If a person can't stand up for themselves, then fine. Go along to get along.

This an erroneous belief. The streets are the streets. A court is a court. The streets aren't a law court.

If an officer wants to break the law and violate procedure, fantastic! You would have a tort claim against that officer. Get your money's worth.