Black People : Expatriation

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by kde, Apr 28, 2010.

1. kde

kde Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +188
    Has anyone here considered expatriating, successfully expatriated or unsuccessfully attempted to do so?

Conversations between my husband and I, over the years, have gone from being interested in visiting the Continent (namely Ghana/West and S. Africa) to now making plans to actually do so within the next two years to continuously discussing the feasibility, possibility and benefits of leaving altogether.

I have communicated with some brothers and sisters from America who have resettled in Ghana. They speak of having their rose-colored lenses removed and encountering a range of challenges, but also of being happier and much more content than they ever were in America.

I recently ran into a brother who plans to move to Ghana in a few years after his children graduate from high school, after visiting there several times over the past decade.

I know a couple of people who have left for S. Africa and one more who is in the throes of planning his permanent vacation from the U.S.

It is really a complicated issue for me. I think about the logistics (especially since we have young children) and the need for quality education and health care, a stable government, and conveniences that I admittedly can say I am loathe to give up, having spent my entire life Stateside. That's why I am focused on Ghana and S.A.

I welcome any thoughts anyone has. I know that more Americans are rolling out, but how many of US are doing so or even in a position to do so? It is a lofty proposition that requires a lot of planning, resources and liquidity.

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,074
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

kde,

Good topic; eventually, I plan on going home or back to Africa. For some reason, things are unfinished here though, repatriation with reparation to me is the goal...Peace In my friend.

Link to a Thread posted on Reparations: http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64349

3. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    If you decide to do this..... Don't go to Arizona!

4. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    I would like to retire in Ghana, or Namibia