Pan-Africanism : Expanding the concept of who is African

LostInThought

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 11, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
One of the things that is beginning to bother me is this notion of African exclusivity. Am I more African just because of my complexion? Does an African have to be Black?

If you believe this to be true...I have another question for you -

What about light complected Africans north of the Sahara? These are people who actual LIVE on the continent, but don't fit into the popular perception of what is African.

Another thing is...

The human race was born on the African continent, so everybody whether they recognize it or not are AFRICAN. If we are to come to grip with what being human actual means we must first come to grip with being AFRICAN.

So what I propose is this....

Forget the nonsense, learn your history, and come to grip with your African origins. For this is Africa's great gift to the world - The Human Race.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lostinthought/

many of the light skinned people you are referring to are arabic. they have no cultural, spiritual or political right to the land they reside on. they are trespassers - invaders - murderers and thieves.

this is history.

on another note, we know that indigenous africans come in many shades. and this has no bearing on their "purity" as such. only the most uneducated still thinks that you can tell a "real african" by how dark he is...

Diop the linguist, egyptologist and archeologist finds that in regions where certain types of stone, minerals and such reside - like Limestone - the indigenous people are actually lighter in skin!

(this is probably related to nutrional/vitamin content of foods found in this region.)

but lastly, there is no real reason socially or politically or spiritually to be gained by trying to force people that hate africans to call themselves as such. white people will never voluntarily take on such a designation. unless you are planning to enslave them. then, just maybe you might get some cooperation. but i got a feeling thats not what you had in mind....

I just believe that if we recognize our shared origins it would be the 1st step in curing the damage caused by the extreme racism practised on this planet. How ridiculous is white supremacy if every white person is descended from Black People?

Just a thought on my part, and I'm really glad you responded to it.

On the Arabs....

Trying to figure out who screwed who 1st can be a difficult exercise. Yes, the religion & culture of the Arabian Peninsula was spread by the sword (like all the other major religions), but I don't think that it is entirely accurate to treat North African Arabs as if they are squatters. I'm not an expert on this, so if you have some info you can give - PLEASE enlighten me!

It should also be noted that today there are still Black & Brown skinned people north of the Sahara, although this seems to be completely ignored by mainstream media.

Unfortunately conquest is apart of world history. Black people are guilty of this too - the indigenous people of Southern Africa, and the Pygmy of Central Africa have suffered subjugation at the hands of the taller Bantu. What about all of the African Empires created through history? They were formed through some process. Could this have been through violence? Mmmm..?!!

(This reminds me of something that the political activist Michael Parenti stated in a speech:
"How do you think the monks of Tibet gained control of the Tibetan Plateau? Through prayer, and meditation? No, through WAR!")

Obviously some groups were more guilty then other at dishing out oppression, but it is important that we all recognize the violent past that we collectively share.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back