Black People : Exodus: Gods and Kings faces boycott calls over all-white lead cast

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by UBNaturally, Aug 6, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Exodus: Gods and Kings faces boycott calls over all-white lead cast

#BoycottExodusMovie becomes a trending topic.

[​IMG]

Excitement over the upcoming "Exodus: Gods and Kings" film has turned into protests over the all-white leading cast.

The action-packed film is an adaptation of the biblical story of Moses—a Hebrew who was adopted by the Pharaoh's daughter and frees the Israelites from Egyptian slavery. While white actors were cast in the lead roles, black actors were cast as slaves.

The Ridley Scott-directed movie features Christian Bale as Moses, Sigourney Weaver as his adopted mother, Queen Tuya, John Turturro as Pharaoh Seti, and Joel Edgerton as Moses' adopted brother, Ramses II.

Continue reading...

Ramesses
    [​IMG]

Jethro, the Ethiopian father of the wife of Moses is played by
    [​IMG]

Seti
    [​IMG]

Is portrayed by John Turturro from the Transformers and Do the Right Thing

[​IMG]

Of course Exodus: Gods and Kings is just a follow up and modernized action thriller spin of the Charlston Heston version of the Ten Commandments.

[​IMG]

And so on and so forth

Attached Files:

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    :11100:i be savin so much money.....

3. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I love the twitter remarks:

But unfortunately, the Change.org petition has received only a measly, not even statistically significant, 111 signings.

One of which comes from the woman who walks her talk. :rolleyes:

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    :10500:destee?

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Cute. :10400:

6. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736

I chuckled

But with what the sister said, I wonder what Mr. Director Spike Lee would have to say about this.

Not saying his voice matters as it once held some sort of weight, but at least he has be a voice in the anti-gentrification of Harlem.

[​IMG]

In a sit-down interview with The Grio’s Chris Witherspoon, Mackie said that Lee’s escape to Manhattan’s Upper East Side is a form of “reverse gentrification” and “as your tax brackets changes, I guess your zip code changes.”

Mackie then goes on to suggest that he’s more Brooklyn than Lee:

“I live in Brooklyn. My address is in Brooklyn. I have two restaurants in Brooklyn. I don’t have a problem with gentrification. The people [who] want to live in Brooklyn, move to Brooklyn.”

Mackie starred in two Spike Lee joints early in his career, She Hate Me (2004), and Sucker Free City

Mackie also co-starred in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
    As Lincoln's sidekick

[​IMG]

And in Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    As Captain America's sidekick

[​IMG]

Source:
    http://newsone.com/2933305/anthony-mackie-accuses-spike-lee-of-reverse-gentrification-video

So yea, Mackie is probably not signing any petitions of this sort.

Putting this into the discussion, because if actors like this don't see the conflict with the subtle and non too subtle replacement and displacement of certain groups of people for the sake of the other groups, then a petition of a few hundred that probably weren't going to see it anyway, is not going to effect much.

If Spike Lee were to pool those resources and ever decide to produce and direct a film entitled "Before Africa Came", it would gain more momentum and support than crying about what others are doing.

Small productions have tried this, but never broke into any market for distribution.

Would there be any interest in Spike Lee developing a "Remember the Time" type storyline for the big screen?

If so, will need to @SpikeLee and get the wheels spinning and see.

also, Lee's Kickstarter page
    https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/spikelee

And while speaking of Mr. Lee...
    Using Kickerstarter, Lee gained funds for a not so well known movie that was recently released

Da Sweet Blood of Jesus
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spikelee/the-newest-hottest-spike-lee-joint

Just imagine how many brothers and sistars could gain employment if Spike created a "Remember The Time" type film based on Ancient Khemet, Nubia, Kush and all of lower and upper Kingdoms from the Land of Enrichment?

Denzel as Seti just to bring the crowd??? Visualize that
    Then other lesser known black actors and actresses to fill out the rest of the cast

Not to mention, if it turned into a saga similar to a Star Wars or Lord of the Rings

Again, if anyone is interested in really seeing something like this, do like this post...

...we will make small steps from there

Stay woke

Attached Files:

7. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Outside of production values, this is the elephant in the room:

White-facing our ancestors will ALWAYS receive Hollywood money to make the film look good and authentic - authenticity costs (production values), and film distribution companies will be lining up to get it to the public. The descendants of the ancestors who look like the ancestors? Not so much.

In short, we can make the film, but there are no distribution companies (pretty much all white-owned) that will put them into theatres across the country.... and the world. The only reason "Malcolm X" got into theatres was because the white backers thought they were going to get some shuckin 'n jiving film, never imagining Spike would stay faithful to the book, IMO. And what happened when they found out different? They "capped" the financing and Spike had to go to Oprah, Michael Jordan, Bill Cosby and a couple other black money-bags to finish the picture.

Oh, and then what happened? Don't know about anyone else, but when a group of us went to see it, the opening scene with Rodney King being beat down was garbled. I was wondering if my hearing was going out on me! Not to mention the theatres were giving people "Home Alone" tickets with the lame excuse that they had "run out" of Malcolm X tickets! And for those who've only heard the story... and the refutations... :rolleyes: I was at a friend's house opening day. A couple girls she knew came by and one said that the theatre "ran out of Malcolm X tickets so they gave us Home Alone tickets and said we should just go sit down in the Malcolm X show." Spike was NOT lying!

At any rate, it's more than a notion to simply 'make our own.' After making our own, we then have to have a middleman (distributor) to get it into the theatres.

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    i think the internet can now be used to go around the distributers?

9. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    What do you mean? Show black movies on the internet rather than in the theatres? A form of pay-per-view?

Might work. :thumbsup:

10. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    yeah could make it like one of those tv series you can only watch online - streamed straight from Amazon or Google movies or somethin - itd be way cheaper to do it that way im sure - i think more stuff is gonna be goin that way soon anyways - traditional tv viewing is decreasin year on year at the same time online viewin is increasin - at some point in the not too distant future those trends are gonna cross

Users found this page by searching for:

1. boycottexodusmovie

2. Black people are gods