Black Weight Loss : Exercise - What Kind Do You Do?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Destee, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I hate to exercise! :cardio:

But I know I can't be as successful losing weight, without it. So I do it.

I wish there was a way for someone else, who likes exercising, to do it for me and I get the benefit. But it just doesn't work like that.

I wish I could learn to love it. I've been told that may happen, somewhere along the way, but I aint seen it yet.

So, no matter, like it or not ... we've got to incorporate regular physical exercise in our lives, if we are going to be as successful as possible in our weight loss efforts.

I started again today, walked an hour in the hot alabama morning sun. Walking is a real easy way to get some exercise in, without it hurting too much. The body loves it. I always feel better after doing it, even though I don't truly enjoy doing it. Walking, even if just a little bit / a few steps in the beginning, allows you to ramp your body up to a place where it can handle more vigorous exercise. You can always add a few more steps the next day and the next day. Even if you only walk a few minutes every day, they are all steps in the right direction. If you've not been walking any, or doing any strenuous exercise, walking a little will be a plus. Do try to get in some every day. You can even walk in your house, if you have stairs, just walk up and down them a few times, anything to get started.

It's just not easy losing weight, certainly not as easy as putting the weight on.

Are you exercising Family? What kinds of exercises do you do?

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I hate exercising! Oh My Gosh! I wish I could say I LOVED it! ... :injured:

Well ... i got my walk in this morning, for an hour, it was way hard. I went a different, new, route today, and it seemed much harder than yesterday. It took everything in me not to quit before my hour was up. Probably because it was new, and yesterday's route is one i'm very familiar with. Anyway, i did it. Thanking God for all things.

Destee

3. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771

Morning Destee,
    I’m glad you are walking for exercise. It’s a great start. Look about you when you walk, try not to think so mush though. Look at the trees or how buildings are put together. Pay attention to how the street and sidewalk join together differently, in different places. Look at the world around you, feel the heat or the morning coolness or the sounds and smells in the air. Pay no-mind to the thoughts in your head. Listen for the sounds of birds or children playing. Our life’s are full of many wanders, if we only look for them. Try to keep your mind full of the world around you, as you walk through it. Feel your self surrounded by that moment in each step you take.

The other thing you might try is dancing, at home, with your favorite music. Do it every day, go wild at times. This is always fun! Then if you can take a nice long bath. And hang-out afterwards. That is great for your spirit as well.

:SuN030:

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Good Morning Brother Corvo ... and Thank You ... i will do that! :)

The sound of it seems just what i need! A mind shift! When I'm walking, i'm often focused on the fact that I have to lose weight, and not really thinking about the beauty that surrounds me. This morning was especially pretty, sun shining, lots of green stuff to look at, but after a few minutes into the walk, my mind began thinking of the chore before me. I was proud of myself though, because at the end, I had only done 55 minutes, was really tired, the front door before me, but I didn't cheat myself out of those last 5. I went ahead and walked some more, so I could lay claim to the full hour.

Yes, I will do that tomorrow morning and report in! :D

I was really thinking of starting a thread on how one could learn to love exercise. Tips, tricks, and stuff, to change the way my mind currently thinks about it. Without even starting that thread, you've helped! Thank You!

Oh yes @ the dancing around the house. I remember years ago, when I was younger, I useta dance in front of the mirror every morning. The song that comes to mind was The Gap Band's, Early in the Morning! Man! It was on the radio every morning during those days! I may incorporate some of that into my current regime. It will be extra though, as my walking can't easily be replaced, for while i hate it, the benefits to my body, mind, everything, are really tremendous.

The Gap Band - Early In The Morning (The Video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QclcxZA-1FU

Thanks for your love, encouragement, everything! :grouphug:

Destee

5. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I loved the music.

Music makes your body move.

There is this African proberb, " if you don't move to the rydthem of the drum, you are wasting the music".

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother Corvo ... i had a great walk this morning, beautiful weather, and i really focused on all the wonders surrounding me. It wasn't as hard as yesterday, and i do thank you for your suggestions. I'm going to continue to focus on the positive, at least try, as the main challenge for me right now is just doing it. I can so easily talk myself out of it. Another successful day! Thank You!

Much Much Love and Peace.

Destee

7. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    i do pushups...i push myself up to the table and push food into my mouth....good exercise.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother OldiesMan ... i know you mean well, no harm and stuff, but can you keep the jokes in the joke forum please.

This is a very sensitive issue for many, especially me. I have never said out loud anywhere on the Internet, in all the years I've been online, that I am fat. My doing it now is monumental for me. While I can't speak for all fat folk, jokes aint what we need at a time like this, when we're baring our soul. We need love, support, encouragement, kind words, tips, suggestions ... real stuff ... that can help us get past this great hurdle in our lives.

I want to provide that kind of place for us ... the fat folk ... :cake:

Yeah, we can laugh at ourselves, but don't you be make'n no jokes ... unless you're admitting you got the problem too, and are joining our weight loss effort.

Thanks in advance.

Destee

9. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Even skinny people must exercise.

The body was not designed to be docile so exercise of at least 7 hours per week is important and the easiest of exercises is walking long walks in your favorite direction 3 to 10 miles, and get in the habit of doing it leisurely, with head phone music.

Antioxidants are important C 1000-5000, E, Folic Acid, CoQ10

Green drinks

Eat mostly fruit , nuts, seeds, dark greens, no dairy, no wheat.

DO ONE PUSH UP, AND ONE SIT UP AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR
    JANUARY 1 2010
    THEN INCREASE BY ONE EACH DAY

TAKE YOUR TIME

WHAT'S THE RUSH

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    FWIW

i know two sisters that live together.
    one sister has a car. the other sister does not have a car.
    the sister with the car is fat. the sister who has no car is not.