Black Sports : 'Executioner' ruthlessly efficient in final bout

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Jun 11, 2006.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2478678

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    this is great.
    i hope he retires now.

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Same here.

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I thought tarver would have fought better. the executioner the name speaks for it self. at age 41-nice!

5. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    If you saw that fight .....last night you saw a real living legend...no dam doubt.......I thought Tarver would handle Bhop but didn't know about him swelling up to 218 or 220 to make some stupid movie right before a fight....Tarver when good is real good his problem is he thinks he's a way better prizefighter (does anybody say that anymore) than he really is......Bhop is as Manny said and I agree a true light heavy....maybe for the last 7 or so years of his career....at 174 weigh in and a fight weight of 182 he looked like a man...he was filled out and nothing but muscle...looked strong and way livelier than he did against JT......Bhop is in that list of all time greatest to me regardless.........he controlled old boy from the first round on......Tarver looked confused and completely weak....I think Tarver would be better served to take a couple of heavyweight fights at this stage of his career I think he's a true heavyweight now.......think about he he dropped around 43 pounds.....that's hard to do and not lose strength man....anyway good fight I'm glad I got it and will watch is again before the Wright v Taylor.......

Oh and Hector Jr ...even though I don't agree with the stoppage that early ...don't have no heart.....none...............not even a lil taste...........he had that ukrainian hurt and out on his feet and couldn't finish him and when he saw that his confidence went down like the titanic and he got out there and didn't even work......he was comlaining about the stop...........but he let the white dude back him into a corner and throw 15 or so punches unanswered ....if you do that then whatever happen happen......it's all on the ref at that point and you can't say nothing........Jorge Paez jr looked to be on a decent path though.....

MississippiRed

6. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    I like Hopkins. I think he got a very late start. He could have been much bigger than he is. Perhaps this is attributed in part to his less than sparkly clean background.
    I never liked Tarver. Don't like his style or anything about him really. I really wonder what the hell promoters are thinking/looking at nowadays.
    Hopkins and Jones were the last of the greats imo. Especially Jones. Arguably the best lbxlb since Ali.

7. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Do I get to say I told you so? (smile)...nah, I'ma wait till next week for that!

1 down, 1 to go :jump: :jump: :jump:

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I've always felt Tarver got too much credit for his wins over a faded Roy Jones Jr. He looked very beatable in both his fights against Glen Johnson and in the 3rd match with Roy. I fet Hopkins had a very good chance of pulling off the upset, but even I didn't expect the total domination X put on. I also think the massive weight loss hurt Tarver's performance, but ironically Tarver couldn't use that excuse because it would invalidate his victory of Roy Jones Jr.

Jr was exposed as heartless against Jesse James Leija, and hasn't developed one yet. It is ashmae, because he has serious skills....just a waste of talent.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Hopkins didn't really get a late start, he began his career at 22/23 despite spending 4 years in prison. He's been around for 18 years, it just took the Trinidad fight (2001) to capture the attention of the general public.

10. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

Go head let it fly bruh....I can't lie I didn't think Hop would look as good as he did but looking at him now and then at Middle I do believe he could have fought as light heavy for a while before this.....Tarver was just so confused....and again not training smart.....he should know you can't drop that much weight and not lose something......

on next week.....watchyaself na.......don't get too far outta pocket.....regardless of outcome I'm ready as ready can be for this one...and it's gonna be a good one......again anybody that says boxing today ain't what it was is either not watching or not a real fan in the first place........Oh yeah big ups to Miguel Cotto for whippin the Italian stallion...I mean salad dressing....

Saturday it's on baby......watch my man Wink go to work.....

MississippiRed