Black Authors : Exciting New Book Club Has Been Created!

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by NNQueen, Aug 1, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,864
    Attention All Members!

If you didn’t attend the formation meeting last night for setting up our new book club, you missed a great event. As we announced several weeks ago, we are forming a book club for members who seek ways to expand their minds through the art of reading. This is our way of exchanging information, teaching each other and learning together.

The name of our new book club is Black On Purpose Book Club (BOP), and our theme is “Free your mind – Liberation will follow.”

We plan to meet according to the following schedule:

Second and Fourth Thursdays of every month
    8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. EDT. Every effort will be made to start on time and end on time.
    ******** Voice Chat – General Chat Room

Our Featured books will be written by African/African-American authors only.

For those interested, we will read and discuss one book per month and they will vary in length. Our reading list will consist of books that are suggested by our members. Selected titles will be announced in sets of three (3), and given to members ahead of time. If you would like to add to our reading list, this is the Forum in which to make your suggestions. BOP members will be eligible to receive free gifts and prizes. We will provide more details about how that works in the weeks ahead.

Our two meeting dates for the month of AUGUST 2003 are: Thursday, August 14th and 28th.
    Our facilitator for August is our family member, Play
    Facilitators for September and October will be announced later. Volunteers are welcomed to step forward.

Our first reading list is:

August – “Speak, Brother! A Black Man’s View of America” by Roland S. Martin
    September – “Manchild In the Promised Land,” by Claude Brown
    October – “Assata: An Autobiography”, by Assata Shukar

We encourage you to purchase your books from Black-owned bookstores whenever possible. There are many of these bookstores online. Please do not limit your searches to Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Besides, these bookstores won’t carry many of our books. For a list of Black-owned bookstores, visit www.******************/free.html . There you will find about 20 store listings. If you know of some that aren’t on that list, please let us know and we will gladly add them. We are Black On Purpose, so buy Black!

We welcome ALL Destee.com family members and look forward to seeing you on August 14th!!

Peace and please join us!
    Queenie :)

2. Bluewater

Bluewater Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Praising The Lord
    Ratings:
    +44
    i always wanted to be apart of a book club
    i am so excited Yes!!!!!!!!!! (BOP)
    I will be getting my books this weekend
    Thank you

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Wow !!! Our own Book Club !!!!! :jumping: this is very exciting !!!

Thank you all who participated in the first meeting and a special THANK YOU to our Sister PlayWititPimp !!!! Looking forward to your chats this month Sister !!! I'm going to be buying my book this weekend too, so i can be ready for August 14th!

Also, we are meeting two times each month to discuss the same book. The first meeting will mark the halfway point in that month's book. We will discuss everything that has happened from the beginning to midway in the book. The 2nd meeting of the month will be to discuss the 2nd half of the book, from midway to the end. So i've got some reading to do, at least half the book, by August 14th!!!

Let us get our read on Sisters and Brothers !!!!

:read: :book: :read: :book: :read: :book:

:heart:

Destee

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes yes yes !!!!!!

FREE YOUR MINDZ
    DA
    REST WILL FOLLOW
    IN
    DA LIBERATION OF B.O.P. BLACK ON PURPOSE.
    very happy to be apart of this new growth
    our voices , our mindz, our struggle , our hope!
    free yo mind right here , get my read on now !!!!