excess sugar

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by jamesfrmphilly, Oct 21, 2006.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
  2. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    How much sugar a day is too much?

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    ...From a Scientific standpoint, that is too general a question.

KD

4. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Then how is someone suposed to know? Should I take sugar out of my diet completely?

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Well I don't necessarily think you will be taking Sugar out of your Diet completely. I am pretty sure that common-knowledge [in the area of Health anyway] will tell you that there are two major kinds of Sugar (In this sense...):

REFINED SUGAR (DANGEROUS/PROCESSED)
    NATURAL SUGAR (Already contained in Food)

Although I am putting an end to eating Apples (Pesticides), for example, Apples already contain sugar in them even before they are placed on Store shelves. If you get your fruit from the Orchards/Farms, then you should not have to worry as much about what I just mentioned. However, please do know that Natural Sugar is already in food; it is NOT an additive.

On the other hand, I will say get used to looking at the Nutrition Labels on what you eat, if available. In my opinion, even though Natural Sugars are important (used for Energy), if I see something exceeding:

10% or less - It is fine to eat
    15% - I question it
    20% - I feel that is too much
    30% - I will dare not eat

THIS is what I would tie in to the concept of 'excess sugar,' as it relates to the title of the Thread. If the title is talking about Refined Sugar, I will be the FIRST person to say DO NOT EAT! Refined/Processed Synthetic White Sugar is a very Powerful Drug! (Don't take my word for it - Go look it up)

Since I mentioned that the question was "too general," I feel that I owe you some more information, in regards to that.

For one thing, you need to formulate your very own style of a Scientific Approach, and develop a Scientific Attitude as you make that approach. In other words, (especially when it comes to your Diet so that you don't Die-Yet! (Smile)), see things from a Scientific perspective. Now this may sound rudimentary, but how about pin-pointing what foods are high in Sugar or low in Sugar. What will you be doing tomorrow that will require lots of energy (High Sugar) to burn off, and what will you be doing that will call for not-so-much Energy (Sugar) to burn off? Now it would not, for example, make sense to eat Grapes, Strawberries, and Limes (High [Natural] Sugar) when you will be in the house all day doing nothing. There is nothing you are doing (not even getting up to sit back down) that calls for that much Sugar. Conversely, if you are going to be doing an intense Workout, it would not make sense to eat Pears and Plums (Low Sugar). For that, you need HIGH Sugar Sweet Fruit(s), and not a lot (10 Grapes, 15 Strawberries) if I may add.

Bottom line is - You need Sugar, which gives you Energy, so that you can be effective and productive in carrying out your daily activity. If you are not doing anything, there is no need for excess Sugar. You will just sit on it, and it will produce strange things in your Digestive System. Similar to a Computer that freezes every 5/10 seconds, then freezes for an extra 3 minutes, then finally shuts off. You don't want that happening to your System. Natural Sugars are very essential, but watch out for Refined Sugar. It is comprised of anything from Sucrose to Maltose to Glucose; much of that is very harmful. You and Your body work as a team every day to make things happen. Treat it well, and it will do the same to you in return (Law of Reciprocity), and as a team, you'll both be Healthy.

Ase'

KD

6. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I assumed that excess sugar only meant refined sugar and natural sugar was okay.

Thank you. How many grams a day is too much?

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Very True!

That would depend on how much your body can tolerate. According to Dr. Llaila Afrika, in his Book African Holistic Health, he indicates the following:

Also, I encourage you to perform re-search on Reading Food Labels, which will in turn lead you to understanding the 2,000-2,500 Calorie Diet. If that does not give you what you are looking for, I would just ensure that I have the proper nutrients absorbed on a Daily basis.

Ase'

KD