Black Entertainment : Excellent movie

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by LindaChavis, Dec 14, 2009.

1. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    I have and just watched called Hurricane Season:

In this drama based on a true story, a high school basketball team learns about victory and defeat in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Oscar winner Forest Whitaker leads a cast that also includes Isaiah Washington, Taraji P. Henson, Courtney B. Vance, Lil Wayne, and Shad Moss (aka Bow Wow). HURRICANE SEASON is directed by Tim Story (BARBERSHOP).

2. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Sounds like a good one. Where did you find it? Is it available through rental stores, online, or such? Someone just recommended "They call me Sirr" which I have ordered. I watched "The Blind Side" as well.

3. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  4. LindaChavis

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    Another one I watched

Skin a movie based on a true story:

A dark-skinned girl born to white South African parents attempts to explore her identity in the era of apartheid as her government, her parents, and society as a whole struggle with what it means to be a black child of Caucasian descent in a nation deeply divided by race. The year is 1955. Sandra Laing (Sophie Okonedo) has just been born to a pair of white Afrikaner parents, her brown skin and curly hair the surprising result of genetic throwback. As the government's rigid apartheid system struggles with whether to classify Sandra as white or black, the young girl and her parents gradually realize that the complications they face due to her appearance run deep and wide. Sandra lives in a society where the color of your skin determines the outcome of your life, and though she is eventually granted admission to an all-white school, she suffers endless torment from her intolerant classmates. Her father, Abraham (Sam Neill), is having a particularly difficult time accepting his daughter. Despite the fact that tests indicate he is her biological father, the neighbors constantly whisper behind their backs. And while Sandra's mother (Alice Krige) does her best to provide her daughter with understanding and emotional support, those consolations come at a high price for both mother and daughter. Her parents believe it's their daughter's birthright that she live as a white woman, though only after she grows up and falls in love with a black man will the conflicted Sandra finally find the strength to embrace her true identity as an African woman. - Jason Buchanan, All Movie Guide

5. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486

The movie can be watched for free at Youtube, you will have to click on the parts after each part is finished. In total, I believe there are 11 parts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFmV7NH0UDs

Astrologer4U

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I had a chance to see it and enjoyed it too.

I like to see the second one Linda talking about is it on youtube also ??

7. Astrologer4U

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    I tried to find it Rich, I don't think it's free anywhere on line. I had no luck.

Astrologer4U

8. Astrologer4U

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Linda, I finally saw the movie "Skin", it was really depressing. I just watched this movie last night called "Jerusalem" another depressing movie. However "Jerusalem" had some really good humor in there aside from the depressing parts.

Astrologer4U

9. LindaChavis

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    Im

sorry you found Skin depressing but I found it interesting.

10. Astrologer4U

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    I didn't give breakdown on my thoughts but yes, the movie was interesting as well. The parts that became a little depressing for me was when whites came with their bulldozers not caring that they were destroying everything those African people had. Bulldozing over all of their homes, not caring if there was women and children inside of the homes, while proclaiming to Africans that "this is now white land". Then, it was hired African people who were driving the bulldozers. Then how they were teaching in the white schools that Africans are savages who were trying to take their land when it was them who was the savages that took African land. In my mind, I am thinking how could that have all happened right after what took place here in America? Watching that movie just reinforced that white people take what they want and don't care who they hurt while doing so. Then I thought about all the black people who turn around and sleep with decendents of those white people who still to this day, feel that Africans tried to take their land. They are people who do nothing about protecting African people, they just continue on in fully exploiting them by way of sex. That is what was a bit depressing form me. That movie was based on events that took place in the 70's, the 70's was not to long ago, in fact very recent to say the least.

Astrologer4U