Black People : Excellent Documentary about modern Africa (Africa Straight Up)

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by King Tubbs, Nov 15, 2012.

1. King Tubbs

King Tubbs Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +272
    I havent been on Destee for a while so apologies if this has already been posted. Its simply the best documentary I've seen about 21st Africa, no civil wars famines or aids!!

2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    you know.. when I see how western they are.. and aspire to be.. it actually makes me feel a sense of loss. I just hope they don't end up as lost and disconnected as we are here..

3. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Say it again, in all caps.

4. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    Africa, Africa! The land of my ancestors! I'm not very sure what my tribe is exactly but I think South Eastern African tribe through Madagascar.

Also that Nigerian chick at 2:57 is perfection, smart, well spoken, and beautiful.

5. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    My sentiments exactly.

6. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    No they won't as they are too busy making something of themselves instead of whining.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... wb King Tubbs, ahhh... TED again, smh. truetothecause first brought this problem awhile back(2009), and now this confirms it, thanks...:

Investments in Africa
    http://destee.com/index.php?threads/investments-in-africa.56727/

Peace In,

8. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +666
    I thought that. I cringed so hard when she spoke about the mariah care album that I just locked off the whole documentary. It seems Africans have to learn a lesson that diasporans have already learnt. It doesn't matter how 'western' you try to be - it will never be enough.

9. King Tubbs

King Tubbs Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +272
    I understand what you mean in the sense they are all speaking English rather than an African language but the problem is Africa is too vast there is no one language and I feel if they were to adopt one eg Swahili or Hausa it would have needed to be done across the board in the 1960's its too late now. I also know that most (not all thankfully) Africans are either Christian or Muslim rather than following the traditional religions of their ancestors.

However it is good to see they are planning for the future and making the right steps forward, who knows, maybe as they become more affluent they will be a more "back to the roots" sentiment throughout Africa.

I agree that was cringe worthy but its a shame you let that put you off the whole documentary.

The documentary demonstrates that as poverty is reduced and the various countries of Africa are starting to become more affluent they are naturally start turn inward and produce African solutions for their own problems.

In regards to Mariah Carey, western music will always be popular worldwide but African entertainment is already very popular continent wide. Some African musicians mention how via the internet they are selling their music outside of Africa. I also know that Nigerian movies are now more popular than Hollywood material in English speaking Africa.

Also Africa is a continent of over a billion people so you we cant judge them on one persons silly comment about Mariah Carey.....or one documentary even!!

10. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    We need to accept (not reject) our own diversity and stop mimicking everybody else's one dimensional takes on everything too...

Everybody else just mimics whites who they believe have the most money and the power it allows them to wield:

The flip side is the truth...

I. e., it was and it is by the way of the various businesses/corporations/public and private institutions they control, not their so called race and/or skin shades, is how they maintain their status quo...

FYI...