Black People : Ex-slave's letter to former master from 147 years ago: You owe me & wife 52 years of backpay

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MS234, Feb 1, 2012.

1. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...rt-one-time-southern-master-article-1.1015294

Letter from former slave in 1865 offers sharp retort to one-time Southern master
    Recently uncovered document provides glimpse into life for freed slaves after Civil War

[​IMG]

A recently-unearthed 1865 letter from a former slave to his old Tennessee master fires a few devastating shots at the man who once did the same to him.

The letter, currently going viral on the Internet, was dicatated in 1865 by freed slave Jourdan Anderson to Col. P.H. Anderson of Big Spring, Tenn.

The colonel wrote his ex-slave in Ohio with an invitation to return and take a job on his farm — an offer the ex-slave quickly (and cleverly) rejected.

“I have often felt uneasy about you,” the letter begins. “I thought the Yankees would have hung you long before this, for harboring Rebs they found at your house.

“Although you shot at me twice before I left you, I did not want to hear of your being hurt, and am glad you are still living.”

The slave says his wife, Mandy, wants a show of good faith before they would leave Ohio for Tennessee: Back pay for their 52 years of combined service.

“If you fail to pay us for faithful labors in the past, we can have little faith in your promises in the future,” he wrote. “We trust the good Maker has opened your eyes to the wrongs which you and your fathers have done to me and my fathers, in making us toil for you for generations without recompense.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...rt-one-time-southern-master-article-1.1015294

Lucky he just sent a letter. He could have thought up a couple of other ways to seek repayment.

2. MS234

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    This was posted out of respect for our ancestors. This is "our"story. Somebody is a direct descendant of these great people. They paid a great toll for us to even exist today. They held it together, so we can sit back and type in comfort.

I posted this out of appreciation for these brothers and sisters and all the others who bore the pain of carrying us into the future from 147 years and beyond.

Though the article is based on a letter for back pay from an ex-slave to an ex-slavemaster, the significance for me is that brother Jourdan Anderson was attempting to seek justice for him and his family.

Their/our strength is unparalleled. We are descendants of such strength. I don't see slavery as a weakness, I see it as a strength. ONLY the strong were able to survive the last 500 years. WE ARE THAT STRENGTH.

I see threads now about "how do we solve our problems", funny, what do you think brother Jourdan Anderson and his family was attempting to do?

The same thing we are. 147 years later. We're still searching for answers.

People see 147 years and think, that was then, this is now. OH YEA????

If so why are we still looking for answers?

This thread is to say thank you to brother Jourdan Anderson and all our other ancestors for their sacrifice and strength

THANK YOU.

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

The brother was smooth......

A master Psychologist if ever i saw one. Reminds me of Bro. J. A. Rodgers talking to the senator on the train in his great work "From Superman to Man"

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

Ya know, as i read thru the letter again it reminded me of a series i did some years ago in a black history month poetry thread called "i'se don't care if'n massa hear me" and the brother in the letter kinda reminds me of the character i was portraying.

5. MS234

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    Thanks for your comments Brother Info. I appreciated them.

6. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I came across this letter earlier. So far I most enjoyed this part near the end:

"Say howdy to George Carter, and thank him for taking the pistol from you when you were shooting at me."​

That was a Brother.

--

I hope that this is a true letter. Sometimes well meaning folk fabricate letters and that sucks.

HTP