Jails / Prisons : Ex-Coke secretary gets 8 years in prison

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by oldsoul, May 24, 2007.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976

Special punishment for Blacks convicted of white collar crime
    Ex-Coke secretary gets 8 years in prison

A federal judge ignored a former Coca-Cola secretary's plea for mercy Wednesday and sentenced her to eight years in prison for conspiring to steal trade secrets from the world's largest beverage maker.

U.S. District Judge J. Owen Forrester told Joya Williams, 42, that he was giving her a longer sentence than recommended by federal prosecutors and sentencing guidelines because, "This is the kind of offense that cannot be tolerated in our society." Williams had faced up to 10 years in prison on the single conspiracy charge in a failed scheme to sell Coke's trade secrets to rival PepsiCo Inc. for at least $1.5 million.

But sentencing guidelines, which federal judges are not bound by, called for a sentence of 63 months to 78 months. Williams was convicted Feb. 2 following a jury trial in U.S. District Court in Atlanta, where The Coca-Cola Co. is based. "I can't think of another case in 25 years that there's been so much obstruction of justice," the judge said. As for the sentencing guidelines, Forrester said, "The guidelines as they are written don't begin to approach the seriousness of this case." A co-defendant, Ibrahim Dimson, was sentenced to five years in prison. Both also were ordered to pay $40,000 restitution, and they will be on supervised release for three years after being released from prison.

Forrester ignored a tearful apology by Williams, which marked the first time she acknowledged what she did. Williams had testified during the trial that she did not commit a crime. "Your honor, I have expanded my consciousness through this devastating experience," Williams said before she was sentenced. "This has been a very defining moment in my life. I have become infamous when I never wanted to become famous." She added, "I am sorry to Coke and I'm sorry to my boss and to you and to my family as well."

The government said Williams stole confidential documents and samples of products that hadn't been launched by Coca-Cola and gave them to Dimson and a third defendant, Edmund Duhaney, as part of a conspiracy to sell the items to Pepsi. Duhaney, like Dimson, pleaded guilty to conspiracy. Before the Coke case, Duhaney and Dimson had been incarcerated at the same federal prison in Alabama at the same time.
    The rest: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070523...s&printer=1;_ylt=AhgcDWKoD3JhzvGKDVb3OYpv24cA

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    What a disheartening ending.

With affirmative actions slowing being recanted, they've used this opportunity to make an example of yet another Black Person. This time a Black Woman. Its like their feeding to the world, "this is why we need to do away with affirmative action."

It's truly sad they didn't know pepsi and coke are owned by the same heads. If you look deeply at all the major market/produce player's, you will find they all fall under the same team. How ya gonna steal secrets and try to sell it back to the owners. Yes they've been doing this to us for who knows how long, but we have yet to rise and take back what is rightfully ours.
    Well, anyway thats another story.

We Black People really need to start paying closer attention and unite to defend ourselves against these constant injustices.

True Story, "The longer it takes, the harder it will be."

:crying:

3. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    yea

they had to let us know who rules in the long run

and don't think that you can do what "we" do

we sell secrets to both sides so they can kill each other off

i know this is not a "war" issue

but the implications are there

4. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    i wouldn't overlook the role personal greed played n this little episode either, that is, f she's actually guilty.

5. Da Street So'ja

Ratings:
    +42
    yes

greed or necessity

but don't get me wrong

necessity doesn't equate to doing what you KNOW is wrong

great point Alkebulan

6. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    No doubt.

But when you compare the number of white-collar crimes committed by non-blacks and the sentences they receive, it's still and injustice nonetheless.

She's guilty, but why make her the prime example?

7. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    VI. Why Don't White-Collar Criminals Go To Jail?

ME------------> A. (Most likely because white collar crimes are usually committed by excecutives and CEO's of the businesses.)

Clearly a double standard exists between white-collar crimes and street crimes. The following are some reasons that explain why white-collar criminals are not more rigorously pursued.

A. The Best Lawyers
    White-collar criminals have money and can therefore afford the best legal advice.

B. Favorable Laws
    Laws are generally written in favor of the white-collar criminal. People who commit white-collar crimes are sometimes the same people who are in a position to see to it that their crimes are not defined too negatively.

C. Individual Perception
    Whereas the impact of white-collar criminals on the nation is great, the cost to each individual is small. White-collar crimes do not impact individuals with the same intensity as when one individual is victimized by a petty criminal.

D. Little Police Effort
    Virtually no police effort goes into fighting white-collar crime. Enforcement is many times put in the hands of government agencies (like the Environmental Protection Agency - EPA). Often these agencies can act only as watchdogs and point the finger when an abuse is discovered.

E. Difficult to Assign Blame
    Assigning blame in white-collar crime cases can be difficult. For example, pollution may be the result of corporate neglect, but corporation cannot be sent to jail. Corporations could be heavily fined (a viable option), but the social impact of severely punishing an institution that may provide jobs to hundreds of people, as well as supply social necessities, may be more detrimental than the initial violation of the law.

Link below:
    http://www.delmar.edu/socsci/rlong/intro/wc-crime.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Da Street So'ja

Ratings:
    +42
    interesting

9. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    my take

i had a conversation not too long ago w a young black male (ybm) who has b/c part of our xtended family about som of his questionable activities.

"don't u kno that this country has a hard on 4 incarcerating blk's? and that they all but com n their pants when they get the chance 2 incarcerate another ybm? r u not aware that the country which has the # 1 incarceration rate 4 blk's on the planet is the 1 ur living in? the prisons r full of our ppl who thot they'd b xempt. next time u hear them souting, "we're # 1", think about that"

i'm not throwin sistah under the bus. I still got tough nation time luv 4 her, & she's gonna nd it now mor than eva...BUT, my belief is, she hadn't been treated equally n the corporate world @ any time up to the present, so, y shld her xpectations b different now? we're not talkin bout som1 living n the inner city or n the confines of the darkest urban blight imaginable struggling 2 find a pathway 2 the daylight here. that may hv been part of her past way back, i don't kno, but i kno thats not the case now.

that she even had access to info considered that sensitive tells me that she had a fiduciary relationship w the company, & while that may not constitute a guarantee of a lucrative salary w perks 2 match, i'm willing 2 bet $ to doughnuts that she is: 1. makin at least $50K; 2. drivin a $30K+ car less than 4 yrs old; 3. livin n a $200K+ house n an upscale community. i.e., homegurl ain't strugglin - had no doubts where her next meal was comin from.

this is not a case of need, but greed. while i may not kno xactly how she planned 2 use her ill gotten gain, i jus hv this feelin it wasn't to help the homeless, find a cure 4 cancer, or feed the famished.

now, i kno those were som real tears she was crying when she stood b4 the yt man - as we all mus do @ 1 time or another - & thou i wasn't there, i believe it was much mor a plea that he not take her away from all those xpensive toys she had accumulated & the epicurian lifestyle 2 which she had become accustomed, & the real regret she felt @ being cought, rather than genuine remorse over violating a contractural trust 4 personal gain.

do yt men engage regularly n this, & even mor egregious, perfidious behavior against corporations paying them even higher salaries & mor generous perks w impunity? ALL DAY LONG! and they will continue 2 do so. but guess what? even in the miniscule instances where they get cought - & the even mor rare occurance that they get incarcerated @ som federal country club like facility, the good ole boy network (rednecks r us) will kick n 2 take care of their family while they're "away", & will make certain billy bob lands on his feet upon his return.

from my limited xperience workin 4 corporate amerikkka, bu contrast, this sistah's corporate career - 4 sure w any fortune 500 co - is OVA. living n an efficiency apt & driving a 5 yr old chevy monza will start 2 look real good after a couple of months of sharin a cell w bertha, a meth addicted mother of 6.

my ? is, when did yt ppl b/c the standard by which we measure our competence, honesty, trustworthiness, & moral (or immoral) conduct?

4 every1 who has committed thier lives 2 the persuit of material possessions - above ALL else - they shld b prepared 2 inherit the wind.

it's 1 thing 2 b beaten down by a racist, sexist, yt supremicist oligarchy. but y wld u HAND them a piece of pipe w which 2 perform the beating? when we knowingly break the law, hundreds of us r doing exactly that.

10. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    yeah, That's so true Brother Alke.

We do make some poor choices. We have so much first hand
    experiences when dealing with white supremacy. Yet, we
    act as if we just don't get it.

Greed is what it is. It's like befriending a snake, then
    expecting it not to bite ya.

:heart: