Black History Culture : EWE SLAVES AND VOODOO IN AMERICA

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Isaiah, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    This is just an incredible page on how African Americans practiced Voodoo in the United States... For all of you who seem dead to the notion that we maintained our African roots up until the time when we came north, and began to discard the roots of our culture, read this article, look at the pictures, and relive a little of what life used to be like for Africans in the United States not so long.....

The page cannot be copied or reproduced, so I cannot give any samples... Gone get over there, and you'll not regret it... It's awesome!

www.mamiwata.com/ewe.html#and

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is a fascinating read thank you brother Isaiah! I once visited a exhibit on Vodoun at the Baltimore Museum of Art back in 1998. I remember most of my classmates being scared to go, but I learned a lot. I've never looked at Vodoun with suspicion or fear since!

3. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    loved this site.

Thanks for sharing this one.. i love reading things liek this.. its kinda liek a blk fairytale.. voodoo.. in my generation.. but to read the actual accounts makes it real for me.

4. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    fascinating

I enjoyed this read...thank you brother Isaiah

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Ayibobo Brother Isaiah,

Mamaiisi Vivian was instrumental in leading me to the path of my ancestral Vodu. As I looked into the likely Afrikan sources for many slaves imported to Louisiana, I noticed the Ewe people were heavily represented. I began having dreams of the region in Afrika, along with my Congo dreams. One of my dreams said I was born into Vodou. I attended a Vodou ceremony and the spirits said I MUST be in this, I must initiate into Vodou. I eventually initiated into Vodou and believe as a descendant of Afrikan people, it has enhanced my life and established the connection I needed to be more present on this earthly plane, as well as, the ancestral realm. Vodou is a very beautiful tradition and I love my spirits dearly. I still get excited when I see the spirits come down and typically be one of the few people to run to speak with them. The drums of a ceremony are highly motivating and to be involved in something similar to what my ancestors have practiced sometimes feel as if I've been sucked into a time warp and thrown back in history. Thank you, the addition.

Also, remember Mama Tchamba - patron spirit of slaves and the Mama Tchamba tradition in Benin/Togo.

Blackbird (feeling the call of the Vodu now)

6. Awotunde

Awotunde Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Brother Blackbird so are you initiated into the Haitian Vodun system?

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    This is in reference to culture

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    You seem to be on the bandwagon of the "culture and not history" thread you made that was directed towards Dustyelbow and I,much of the historical data posted is just not history,for example,my "black china" thread seems like plain history,but if you look into it you may see links(though not overt) as to assisted who developed Chinese martial arts and therefore contributed to the Chinese culture.The fact that research has not been done,in totality,as to Afrikan/black contributions to varying cultures worldwide calls for a more historical perspective since the roots today, many world cultures that have been and still are heavely influenced by Afrikans/blacks,is all in one shade and that shade is the shade of the current inhabitants and/or rulers of the land.

9. ibrahim

ibrahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    Interestting.!!!

10. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    No, my young brother, I-Khan, I am not on any bandwagon - though I asked that THIS BANDWAGON be built... And I did not ask that it be built so that CULTURE would take the same old backseat to who did what when, where, and why...

You see, brother, I asked you guys to do something very specific, and that was to SHOW us WHERE the culture was in the historical data, and you guys keep trying to RE-DFEINE for me, and the rest of us, just WHAT culture is... Hey, man, I don't need culture defined or redefined for me... I need you guys to RESPECT what is being done in this forum, brother, and that is to, yes, OVERTLY present CULTURAL DATA... Instead, you guys refuse to respect my request... You keep on posting this historical data in a forum that SPECIFICALLY and PLAINLY asks us to reclaim our stolen CULTURE... You keep shoving our culture deeper and deeper into an abyss, where it is being hidden from view by all of this historical data...

I ask you, WHERE is it proven in the BLACK CHINA thread that we have actually contributed to Chinese culture??? African contributions to the Chinese Martial Arts???? No, man, Chinese Martial Arts as we know them began out of a necessity of Shaolin Priests to protect themselves from their enemies... Like anything else, it developed and evolved out of necessity, not because these folk needed Africans to come an teach them how to defend themselves... I dig brother Rashidi, and other African historians who are trying to reclaim our history, but I don't believe everything that comes out of their mouths - and I've just about all of 'em...

That notwithstanding brother, I have asked you, and others AGAIN, to respect the stated aims of this forum, and not try to define or redefine for us what those aims should be... This forum does not even exist unless I requested that it exist, and I consider what you are doing as very disrespectful, not just of the forum, but of me, personally... Don't presume me to be deficient in my ability to discern what is, and what is not, cultural...

Peace!
    Isaiah