Black History Culture : Events mark Emmett Till slaying 60 years later

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

RIP Emmett ... Aug. 28, 1955

Events mark Emmett Till slaying 60 years later

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Sixty years after a black Chicago teenager was killed for whistling at a white woman in Mississippi, relatives and civil rights activists are holding church services and movie screenings to remember Emmett Till.

They're also trying to continue the legacy of his late mother, Mamie Till Mobley, who worked with young people and encouraged them to challenge injustice in their everyday lives. It's a message that Deborah Watts, a distant cousin of Till's, sees as relevant amid the killings in recent years of young black men such as Trayvon Martin in Florida and Tamir Rice in Ohio ...

[​IMG]
    Deborah Watts of Minneapolis, sits in a Jackson, Miss., hotel Thursday, Aug. 27, 2015 and speaks about events in Mississippi and Illinois this week that commemorate the 60th anniversary of the slaying of her cousin, Emmett Till, a black 14-year-old from Chicago. He was kidnapped and killed Aug. 28, 1955, and his body was recovered from the Tallahatchie River three days later. An all-white jury acquitted two white men charged in the slaying. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

http://news.yahoo.com/events-mark-emmett-till-slaying-60-years-later-180651296.html

2. Xeon

Xeon Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +20
    A very sad and horrific event in American history. The images of Emmett's grotesque and mutilated body by white southern racists are seared into American history. His demise was made public (thank God!). Sadly, there were thousands of other blacks who were tortured and murdered while history has remained oblivious to their existence. Now the mass killings come in the form of "black on black crime". A subject that is taboo and makes a mockery of the so-called specious "Black Lives Matter" cacophony.....

[​IMG]

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

Had a premonition you would twist the subject of Emmett Till to some how point negative fingers at Black folk.

Behind so-called "black on black crime" there will always be various elements of social depression caused by White folk through structural racism ... know this Xeon.

Black Lives Matter has a beautiful ring to me and most Black folk I know.

4. Xeon

Xeon Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +20
    "Had a premonition you would twist the subject of Emmett Till to some how point negative fingers at Black folk."

Ummmm....How did I twist it? Did I not acknowledge it was an horrific crime? Did I not say this atrocity is rightfully documented in history? Not sure what you mean....

"Behind so-called "black on black crime" there will always be various elements of social depression caused by White folk through structural racism ... know this Xeon."

Wrong! Has nothing to do with the white folks. Black people have always been poor and oppressed but the level of senseless violence by street coons and thugs is unprecedented. I talked to two friends yesterday at the gym, one is from Newark and the other is from Chicago. Upon returning home for a visit, both were stunned by the level of craven violence in the communities they grew up in. The response: "Bro, it was never that bad when I was growing up! I can't believe it!" Their words -not mine. Don't make spurious excuses for bad personal behavior or a dysfunctional culture.....

"Black Lives Matter has a beautiful ring to me and most Black folk I know".

Really? When does it matter? If the life is lost at the hands of a non-white or regardless who takes the life? Which is it? It seems the sickening hypocrisy applies only to "black victims" and "non-black perpetrators". To me -ALL LIVES MATTER REGARDLESS OF WHO THE PERPETRATOR OR VICTIM IS! I cannot understand how Negroes are smugly willing to look the other way when innocent blacks are being murdered every single day by black thugs while foaming at the mouth and railing about a numerically small number of blacks homicides by non-blacks. Again -All black lives matter regardless of the race of the perpetrator!

Unlike many cretinous Negroes, I don't cherry pick whose life matters and whose life does not! The entire so-called "Black Lives Matter" hysteria is a disingenuous hoax for the reasons I stated.....

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

Very typical for a non-black to over-use the term, Negroe(s). Also its typical for non-blacks to replace Black Lives Matter with All Lives Matter.

"I cannot understand how Negroes are smugly willing to look the other way"

"Unlike many cretinous Negroes, I don't cherry pick whose life matters"

According to you and others, we can't even have our own movement without a white privilege narrative seeking to change the name :facepalm: ... so typical of racism white supremacy.

6. Xeon

Xeon Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +20
    "Very typical for a non-black to over-use the term, Negroe(s). Also its typical for non-blacks to replace Black Lives Matter with All Lives Matter."

And that is "your opinion" my friend. And all lives do matter! Why you have an issues with this concept is beyond me. But if you can give an intelligent and compelling argument as to why "only certain lives" matter while "others do not matter" and give a definitive reason as what the "criteria is for being worthy" of mattering , I'd love to hear it....

"According to you and others, we can't even have our own movement without a white privilege narrative seeking to change the name ... so typical of racism white supremacy."

Who said you are not entitled to your own movement? Where is that written? You are entitled to create any movement you want. This is America, not Saudi Arabia, Syria, North Korea, Sudan, China or Cuba. But white privilege has nothing to do with your hypocrisy. You're arrogantly doing that on your own accord. It is "you" who is saying certain lives matter while others do not deserve the same attention...not me or white privilege. Keep it real bra...! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

The fact that All lives matter is understood, the current focus of Black Lives Matter is targeting police killing unarmed Black men and women. This is the basis upon which the movement begin, and it is multiracial, not made up of just Black folk.

Removed the aberration and see what's real.

8. Xeon

Xeon Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +20
    "The fact that All lives matter is understood, the current focus of Black Lives Matter is targeting police killing unarmed Black men and women. This is the basis upon which the movement begin, and it is multiracial, not made up of just Black folk."

Fine! I have no issues with this because I absolutely detest unwarranted and indefensible shootings by the police -regardless of the race. But you should be more definitive about police abuse and unwarranted shootings and not use such a general term. And you still did not explain the "sky is falling hysteria" of police shootings while remaining collectively mute over the ongoing daily murders of innocent blacks by other blacks. Do their lives not matter? Why does one group of victims (which is minuscule) receive celebrity status while another group (the daily body count) does not? WHY IS THAT?? Details please.....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. emmett till

2. emmett till in color

3. Emmet Till