Black People : European Menticide and The African Condition

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by JRS Writer, Jul 13, 2003.

1. JRS Writer

JRS Writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    European Menticide and The African Condition

"The controllers of this society have made use of psychological warfare to erode and destroy the will and mind of Black people. This is menticide pure and simple. Once the victims discover the truth, we are forced to change our lives. But, the victim fears change because the victim doesn't know where that change will take him or her. Indeed we fear the unknown. The victim seeks to deny but denial of this reality is problematic because the victim is reminded everyday. The victim is caught in an internal double bind, damned if they don't, damned if they do."- Olomenji, From an essay entitled Mentacide, Genocide and National Vision: The Crossroads for the Blacks of America.

Olomenji a Chicago social worker contributed a cogent commentary on the subject of menticide in a book entitled African Psychology in Historical Perspective & Related Commentary edited by Daudi Ajani ya Azibo . In his commentary Olomenji elaborates on the slave mentality foisted upon Africans in AmeriKKKa as part of a trans-generational program to destroy our minds and sense of self. This menticide manifests in what Olomenji calls survival fatigue, "As the victimizer applies continuous, constant pressure, the victim begins to slowly die inside. As the victim loses the self, depression and fear set in, causing illness, death etc. What has the victim done to deserve this fate of a slow tortuous death? The victim has lost hope and has learned to be helpless." When we extrapolate what Olomenji has written examining the symptoms and conditions in ourselves and communities we see depression is pandemic, so much so people are walking around depressed thinking it is normal! African-Americans suffer disproportionately from autogenic diseases (conditions that originate inside the self) such as diabetes, stroke, cancer (although there are environmental and lifestyle factors that cause many forms of cancer.) hypertension, heart attack, arthritis and many allergies. Africans in AmeriKKKa engage in self-anaesthetization using prescription and illicit drugs as well as alcohol to dull the pain of our victimization in a predatory culture based upon white supremacy and the ongoing oppression and marginalization of melanated people. We also engage in delusion, denial and escapism, the vain attempt to negate our reality by imitating whites, not admitting to being African or consuming so much media we are distracted momentarily from our untenable reality of being dehumanized and made to feel "less than". We despair because we see no possibility of relief . Even conforming to stereotypical roles as entertainers, athletes or agents for our own oppression or the oppression of other people of color brings no respite formour oppression and exploitation. Our energies enrich our oppressors and continue our denigration in the very system that dehumanizes us. Seeing no viable alternatives, having given up on our personal dreams or having no dreams whatsoever, we increasingly feel no agency or efficacy over our lives which leads to feelings of hopelessness and helplessness which increases our depression.

In addition to the depression and illnesses we are seeing a rise in suicide and self-destructive behaviors. In their book Lay My Burden Down Unraveling Suicide and The Mental Health Crisis Among African-Americans Alvin F. Poussaint M.D. and Amy Alexander point out that in many instances reckless living and self-destructive behaviors are unspoken signs of low self-worth and negative attitudes towards life and living. These behaviors are actually symptoms of menticide, our minds and our sense of self have been assaulted and traumatized by Euro-American culture, a culture that feeds on the dehumanization of non Europeans. What can we do about this? We can teach our people the problem is not us, the cause is the oppressor's culture, their virulent xenophobia, violence, gender chauvinism, class and color cast system. We must teach our children and re-enforce it in our adults we have the power of self-determination. We must create a new vision of ourselves, not as New Jack slaves, coons, sociopaths or hoochie mammas but fully functioning self-actualized persons and communities. Our oppressors cannot provide this vision for us, they lack one for themselves. If they had a clue of what it means to be really human their behavior and resulting culture wouldn't be so predatory, exploitative and oppressive! We must create a new definition for ourselves and work assiduously to make it real drawing on the models of our African ancestors who placed great emphasis on life affirming values, harmony, balance, right relationships, mutual respect and responsibility. We must do this despite the menticide and genocide Europeans intend for us. If we fail, our lives will continue to manifest the insanity they have planned for us.

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Junious, this is really an outstanding piece. I have been thinking along these lines for a while now. The psychological effects of racism has become pathological. The term "menticide" suits this way of thinking perfectly.

The books and essay sound like excellent material to use as a basis for discussion in our newest feature, "Book Chat." I know you're a very busy person and time may be tight, but it would be great if you would consider leading this discussion at some point in the near future. I think that an in-depth exploration of this topic would lead to some great discussion.

Think about it.

Peace :)

3. JRS Writer

Ratings:
    +0
    :) Sistah,
    Thank you for your kind words and your confidence. It is a good idea, one I am willing to entertain but one I will have to put off for a week or so. What does leading a chat entail will I need any special equipment etc? Get back to me at your convenience, give me some time to work on it as I am busy right now, we'll set it up and make it happen.
    Peace,
    Junious

4. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Junious, let me share this with Destee and other community leaders and we'll get back to you to discuss a mutual collaboration!

Thanks for the support!! :heart:

5. JRS Writer

Ratings:
    +0
    :toast: Fine, I await your response. The struggle intensifies,
    Junious

6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Wow, how could this have been overlooked for NINE years? This was a great topic then and still is--probably moreso today. I had to take a break for personal reasons and have just recently returned to Destee only to find some of the same discussions taking place as before. That alone should call into question by anyone who pays close attention to the dates that many of these threads were started, whether WE are making progress.

Bro. Clyde...THANK YOU for bringing this thread to my attention again...it is so relevant but that may be a minority opinion since nothing ever came of this thread.

"We must create a new definition for ourselves and work assiduously to make it real drawing on the models of our African ancestors who placed great emphasis on life affirming values, harmony, balance, right relationships, mutual respect and responsibility."

For me, I need tangible examples of how this was done and ways we can incorporate these values in a modern society.

Solid message but how do you actually accomplish this:

"We can teach our people the problem is not us, the cause is the oppressor's culture, their virulent xenophobia, violence, gender chauvinism, class and color cast system. We must teach our children and re-enforce it in our adults we have the power of self-determination. We must create a new vision of ourselves, not as New Jack slaves, coons, sociopaths or hoochie mammas but fully functioning self-actualized persons and communities."

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Update,

https://destee.com/threads/mentacide-is-clearly-in-affect.72848/#post-754737

Peace In,

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  8. Sekou the Elder

Sekou the Elder Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You should read or re-read Dr. Bobbie Wright's "Psychopathic Racial Personality",and other essays. You apparently did not understand what he said, and he coined the term "mentacide".

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

This post is vague Guess Sekou the Elder, who are you posting to? Explain who doesn't understand Wright?

Nevertheless, here's the link you referenced:

"Psychopathic Racial Personality"
    http://www.cultural-expressions.com/diaspora/wright.htm

This site can’t be reached
    www.cultural-expressions.com’s server DNS address could not be found.

Try:

Peace In,

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    :facepalm:

Some day, maybe our homegrown publication will receive this kind of venue, hopefully.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black menticide

2. menticide

3. black people depression destee.com destee.com