Black People : Ethnic Violence in Nigeria Has Killed 500

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by awo dino, Mar 8, 2010.

1. awo dino

awo dino Well-Known Member MEMBER

carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    Ethnic Violence in Nigeria Has Killed 500, Officials Say

By ADAM NOSSITER 7:45 AM ET

The victims were Christians killed by Muslim herdsmen this weekend, apparently in reprisal for similar attacks on Muslims in January.
    www.nytimes.com

Idiots, go home!

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Where any of those involved, immigrants to Nigeria?

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Oyo, the great exporter of slaves in the eighteenth century, collapsed in a civil war after 1817, and by the middle of the 1830s the whole of Yorubaland was swept up in these civil wars. New centers of power--Ibadan, Abeokuta, Owo, and Warri--contested control of the trade routes and sought access to fresh supplies of slaves, which were important to repopulate the turbulent countryside. At this time, the British withdrew from the slave trade and began to blockade the coast (see Abolition of the Slave Trade , this ch.). The blockade required some adjustments in the slave trade along the lagoons that stretched outward from Lagos, while the domestic market for slaves to be used as farm laborers and as porters to carry commodities to market easily absorbed the many captives that were a product of these wars.

War and slave raiding were complementary exercises among the Yoruba, who needed capital to buy the firearms with which they fought in a vicious cycle of war and enslavement. Military leaders were well aware of the connection between guns and enslavement.

Nigeria The Yoruba Wars
    http://workmall.com/wfb2001/nigeria/nigeria_history_the_yoruba_wars.html
    Source: The Library of Congress Country Studies

It would be interesting to know the death toll during theYoruba wars, and wether or not there is a historic pattern to such activity, as presently seen

4. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    The same things which plague us here/plague them there...

It's called self hatred...

After all, african nations have only emerged after centuries of British and European colonialism, whereas we don't even have a black or peoples party, advancing our peoples best interests, in this nation...

And also it doesn't help if those here are some of the world's worst role models too?

But I don't just reject my own:

Also I realize there's a need for a 'tough love' approach...

Here/there/everywhere!

:fyi:

5. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    True indeed. But the account overall is inaccurate, because our family told us ca 3 months ago at least 200- and something Igbo's were killed up north on foreign territory over this christian-muslim foolishness.

On another note, we had Dogon in Nigeria?! (the village is named Dogon, maybe I'm mistaken)

One,

- Ikoro

6. awo dino

Ratings:
    +1,258
    Regardless of the efforts of the obfuscators and apologists with there weak scholarship and bogus reasoning, the fact is these christians and muslims are the enemy of all peace loving people. We need a guy like Mao to eliminate the scourge once and for all.

7. awo dino

Ratings:
    +1,258
    Hi brotha Ikoro, you are right, of course it is an inaccurate account, it always is. It doesn't matter how many and who started it so much as why they bring there misery upon people. Please keep us udated to the real goings on

alaafia

8. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Peace Brother Awo.

Been seeing you around the boards, I enjoy your presence. Please don't get banned >_<

I see you are ending your message with the word for peace, I would like to direct you to an article on that. Check the below link for the article "Allafia is not an Afrikan word for Peace". Opinions?

As your Brother says: Chi bless!

One,

- Ikoro

http://www.newafrikanvodun.com/alafia.html

9. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    First of all:

Divide and conquer (rule) has always been the classic tactic of those white invaders/enslavers/etc.

Second of all:

I have the most obvious of reasons to be concerned and worried, i. e., since my maternal family roots etc. originated in old Benin and/or my ancestors/forebears were Muslims...

Third of all:

The late Ousmane Sembene did a movie parody on the very subject of Christian/Muslim relations etc.

It is far too disturbing and downfounding, be it clashes between young people in black 'street' gangs in the states, or ethnic bloodletting on the African continent, how too easily our own turn on each other, ad naseum:

Or perhaps those of us striving to make a difference do have to face up to the one undeniable fact about those who remain a part of the problem:

Cowards need scapegoats!

Let us condemn such folks b. s.

Not condone it and let it dominate us all by the way of default!

:em0200:

10. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    We can't take it all so literally (up to and including even Malcolm's cheerleading for the Mao of his era), i. e., since there were and are ups as well as downs, when some choose to 'play God', etc.

Being that Mao's liberation movement was plagued by do nothing nationalists etc.:

Yes...

Desperate measures were resorted to...

But...

Among those slain addicts etc. were also artists and creative people etc.

And perhaps we do have alternatives on the rehab side they didn't at the time...

The real leap for us here is to not make apples and oranges type comparisons...

But, after all, Nigeria issues/problems/etc. are for the Nigerians--not us--to decide are the proper courses of actions to resolve...

All we can and should do is hope and pray they can and will...

:em0200: