Pan Africanism : Ethiopian bandits in Kenya

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by African_Prince, Jul 13, 2005.

1. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/07/13/kenya.bandits.ap/index.html

Dozens slaughtered in attacks in Kenya

Wednesday, July 13, 2005; Posted: 1:47 p.m. EDT (17:47 GMT)

Kenya

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- At least 71 people were killed in two attacks, the first by Ethiopian bandits on a remote village in northern Kenya and the second by Kenyan tribesmen apparently in revenge, police said Wednesday.

No arrests have been made in either attack.

Ethiopian bandits attacked villagers in the Turbi area, a remote part of Kenya 342 miles northeast of the capital, Nairobi, killing 45 people, many of them children, in a raid Tuesday, police spokesman Jaspher Ombati said. At least 18 people were injured, he said.

The Roman Catholic Information Service, however, said at least 52 local residents were killed in the attack, and a Kenya Red Cross official said aid workers were sent to the area to determine the number of victims and their needs.

The assailants hacked to death and slashed the throats of at least two dozen children at a boarding school, while most of the adult victims were shot, medical workers said at Wilson Airport in Nairobi, where 10 critically injured victims were flown for treatment.

The attackers lingered all day Tuesday, shooting and hacking anyone on sight, because security forces were slow to respond, according to the Catholic Information Service.

Kenyan security forces pursued the bandits, who numbered between 300 and 500, killed 16 of them and recovered 5,000 sheep, 200 cattle, and other livestock, the deputy Eastern Province police chief, Gerald Oluoch, said in a police report seen by The Associated Press.

Wednesday, an unspecified number of men thought to be from the Garba tribe killed 10 people in full view of the Italian Roman Catholic priest who was driving them to a seminar in Marsabit, 256 miles northeast of Nairobi, Ombati said.

The Rev. Aldrin J. Anito was stopped on a road blocked by stones near a trading center, where the men asked to what tribe the passengers belonged, Ombati said.

The passengers -- which included children younger than 10 -- were killed after they were identified as members of the Borana tribe, Ombati said.

The priest's "pleas to the crowd to spare the lives of the 10 people went unheeded," Ombati said. The priest was unharmed.

Ombati said that security forces are treating the attack as an act of revenge.

But Said Wabera, a Garba from the northern Marsabit district, where the attacks occurred, said that the second attack could have been provoked by the Ethiopian bandits being Boranas from across the border.

Boranas and Garbas live both in Ethiopia and Kenya.

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Thank you for this post Prince..............

3. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Your multiple periods at the end indicate your sarcasm but I thought this was relevent to pan -Africanism, dozens of Africans slaughtered, I found it on an Habesha messageboard.

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace Prince,

I don't quite understand your above comments?????? why would I be sarcastic at your post brother?????????? The periods at the end is just my style when I reply to posts NOTHING MORE........check some of my posts and see for yourself.........

<shm in confusion>

5. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    Sorry. I thought you were being sarcastic.