Black People : Estranged communication amongst us ??!!

blkbutterfly41

BANNED
Oct 25, 2009
Hello Destee:

Lets talk about communications. This is an area that effects us in every arena. Relationships, generational gap; Our jobs, careers, and extending our education. How do we relate in our home and our respective community ??

How do we communicate with each other ?? And is it effective ?? After browsing for a few days. I often wonder if the reader knows what is being relayed by the poster. And did the poster relay their thoughts , feelings and position thoroughly and effectively ??

I'm not by any means criticizing. Because, I know, that I fall short as well. I'm a firm believer that the value in us are our differences and not what we share alike. And I appreciate and respect the differences in us. The object and ultimate goal TO ME is to understand and comprehend each other. Not necessarily agree.

1- Males verses female and the manner that we relate. Our communication is broken down. If we can do better in this arena, I believe that we are half way there. So lets discuss more effective ways that we can communicate. That will be productive in our relationships.

Is there a big gap in our communication method and how damaging is it to us ??

Even though our Eurocentric thinking does not always recognize it, the base of the Black community is a collective of African roots that embraces community atmospheres, spirituality as an integral part of all life domains, and interactive communication and learning. These African traditions contrast with Western traditions, which make them critical for school psychologists to understand. For example, while Black children are used to an aesthetic of community support at home, the nature of Western schools is one of competition with peers.

For example, it is important to realize that Black people in America have come to this country from many regions of the world. Many have come to America directly from Africa as descendants of slaves, as immigrants, and as refugees. Blacks’ roots are embedded in Africa; however, Black people also come by way of the Caribbean (including more than 50 islands and especially Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Trinidad, and Tobago), the Cape Verde Islands, and Europe/Bermuda. Black people present in a multitude of skin tones ranging from alabaster to deep mahogany. Over the years the community has been labeled Negroid, Colored, Negro, Black, Afro-American, and now African American. All of these things—physical appearance, home region, and accepted racial categorization—may have effects on racial identity. While labeled and categorized as “Black” or “African American,” Black people are not a homogenous group: the larger Black community is as diverse in some cultural aspects as it is in skin tone, comprised of African decendents with a distinct culture and subcultures that may vary one from the other.

Hello Destiny:

lol Sister BlkButterfly41 ... do you mean me ... :)

Ohhh gosh ... i haven't had a chance to welcome you personally on the forums ... so let me do that now ...

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME SISTER !!! :wave:

Yes, i do think we have some challenges in our communications, as we do in all things.

There have been so many obstacles put in place to hinder us, it's a wonder we even still exist.

Do you know there was a time when Black People in America (and probably other countries as well) could not be caught talking to each other, or too many of us gathering in the same place was reason to call the police, overseer, or whoever was in charge?

Yes Sister, we aren't all that we should be, but this community is about helping us get to that place. The way I figure it, if we have a place that is conducive to peace, respectful dialogue, consideration, etc., for each other, we may (eventually) all be moved toward interacting in the very best of manners. We've been here for 12 years, and we aint all been moved yet, but i'm still encouraged. I have seen some that come in way ugly, and turn out to be the sweetest, most wonderful Sisters and Brothers in the world. Most of us have some baggage we're bringing with us, bad experiences, fear, pain, the conditioning put in us against one another ... lots of stuff that needs to be healed ... and it's going to take some time for that to happen. After all, it took hundreds of years to turn us against one other, in the way we manifest it now, and it's probably gonna take a little bit of time, to get us beyond it.

I am encouraged. I am hopeful. It's the only way I could continue doing this, that I believe we are able to overcome these obstacles. In fact, God and Our Ancestors continue to give me encouragement, by giving us wonderful, new, caring, loving, Sisters and Brothers just like you ... to join us and add to our rich diversity ... providing new examples of how to interact / communicate in the best of manners.

What we're doing here, is giving our children to know, that it can be done.

No, it's not easy, but we as a people can lift each other up, encourage each other, look out for one another ... be examples of how to properly communicate ... even if there is one or two in the midst not doing that. In fact, this community allows for the one or two not willing, to remain, to learn, to grow, to heal, so they too can get to the place (with us) where we are all interacting / communicating in the best of manners ... should they desire to do that.

Yep ... we are well on our way Sister!

Thank you for joining us!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Hello Destee:

Lets talk about communications. This is an area that effects us in every arena. Relationships, generational gap; Our jobs, careers, and extending our education. How do we relate in our home and our respective community ??

How do we communicate with each other ?? And is it effective ?? After browsing for a few days. I often wonder if the reader knows what is being relayed by the poster. And did the poster relay their thoughts , feelings and position thoroughly and effectively ??

I'm not by any means criticizing. Because, I know, that I fall short as well. I'm a firm believer that the value in us are our differences and not what we share alike. And I appreciate and respect the differences in us. The object and ultimate goal TO ME is to understand and comprehend each other. Not necessarily agree.

1- Males verses female and the manner that we relate. Our communication is broken down. If we can do better in this arena, I believe that we are half way there. So lets discuss more effective ways that we can communicate. That will be productive in our relationships.

Is there a big gap in our communication method and how damaging is it to us ??

Even though our Eurocentric thinking does not always recognize it, the base of the Black community is a collective of African roots that embraces community atmospheres, spirituality as an integral part of all life domains, and interactive communication and learning. These African traditions contrast with Western traditions, which make them critical for school psychologists to understand. For example, while Black children are used to an aesthetic of community support at home, the nature of Western schools is one of competition with peers.

For example, it is important to realize that Black people in America have come to this country from many regions of the world. Many have come to America directly from Africa as descendants of slaves, as immigrants, and as refugees. Blacks’ roots are embedded in Africa; however, Black people also come by way of the Caribbean (including more than 50 islands and especially Haiti, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Trinidad, and Tobago), the Cape Verde Islands, and Europe/Bermuda. Black people present in a multitude of skin tones ranging from alabaster to deep mahogany. Over the years the community has been labeled Negroid, Colored, Negro, Black, Afro-American, and now African American. All of these things—physical appearance, home region, and accepted racial categorization—may have effects on racial identity. While labeled and categorized as “Black” or “African American,” Black people are not a homogenous group: the larger Black community is as diverse in some cultural aspects as it is in skin tone, comprised of African decendents with a distinct culture and subcultures that may vary one from the other.

Much of our communication became estranged once we were bought on the slave ships from diffrent countries in Africa, so that lead to a downward spiral of miscommunication.
Even today you still have much miscommunication because of regional barriers. i.e.
Take the North and South for instance.
Now I called an ex-girlfreind and ask her whats good baby and didn't know her NEW man was over there, any way, he heard it, and she called me the next day telling me not to call any more, and later explained: "because her boyfreind said what buisness do I have calling you baby, if we are not together any more"???
LMAO... I tried to explain to her in the New York and New Jersey, "EVERBODY" says whats good baby, Male and Female, Dudes may say that to each "Shawty" is used in the South for everbody Females and grown Men; but up here when we call someone a Shorty, usally we are referring to a Women or a small kid, not another grown *** man lol.
If I was to call another growm man Shawty up here it might be a problem
So YES depending upon where you live, even the word you use can lead to problems of miscommunication.

lol Sister BlkButterfly41 ... do you mean me ... :)

Ohhh gosh ... i haven't had a chance to welcome you personally on the forums ... so let me do that now ...

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME SISTER !!! :wave:

Yes, i do think we have some challenges in our communications, as we do in all things.

There have been so many obstacles put in place to hinder us, it's a wonder we even still exist.

Do you know there was a time when Black People in America (and probably other countries as well) could not be caught talking to each other, or too many of us gathering in the same place was reason to call the police, overseer, or whoever was in charge?

What we're doing here, is giving our children to know, that it can be done.

No, it's not easy, but we as a people can lift each other up, encourage each other, look out for one another ... be examples of how to properly communicate ... even if there is one or two in the midst not doing that. In fact, this community allows for the one or two not willing, to remain, to learn, to grow, to heal, so they too can get to the place (with us) where we are all interacting / communicating in the best of manners ... should they desire to do that.

Yep ... we are well on our way Sister!

Thank you for joining us!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Ahhhhhhhhhh, My sister , Thank you for the warm offical welcome. I do feel at home. And I hope I can hold up to the positive example of so many insightful people that I've encountered already.

Looks like you have a little something for everyone.

My sister , Please know I created this thread for us to share and discuss different methods that we can exercise to communicate better. I don't look for perfection just betterment. I personally :hearts1: your site. And can only hope I can give half as much as I have received.

Now, Errrrrrrrrrrrr, a lil later. I'll meet you in the chat room and we can work on my mic. lol **wink**

Your such a warm insightful , lady !!!

But errrrrrrrrr stop laughing at me. Imma get that mic workin !!! :SuN049:

Much of our communication beacame estranged once we were bought on the slave ships from diffrent countries in Africa, so that lead to a downward spiral of miscommunication.
Even today you still have much miscommunication because of regional barriers. i.e.
Take the North and South for instance.
Now I called an ex-girlfreind and ask her whats good baby and didn't know her NEW man was over there, any way, he heard it, and she called me the next day telling me not to call any more, and later explained: "because her boyfreind said what buisness do I have calling you baby, if we are not together any more"???
LMAO... I tried to explain to her in the New York and New Jersey, "EVERBODY" says whats good baby, Male and Female, Dudes may say that to each "Shawty" is used in the South for everbody Females and grown Men; but up here when we call someone a Shorty, usally we are referring to a Women or a small kid, not another grown *** man lol.
If I was to call another growm man Shawty up here it might be a problem
So YES depending upon where you live, even the word you use can lead to problems of miscommunication.

Hey Brother D !!!

Miscommunication can cause so many problems. With our youths they are so creative and clever hiding things from their parents.

ie- I confiscated my daughters cell phone and peeked at her text messages. Guess what ?? I still couldn't read it. It's coded with symbols. lol

But I do beleive that we have to get back on track, if we are not hearing what is being relayed properly we can't fully gain from one another. Good communication is essential , With our elders, our mates, our children, and even on the job. It really has very little to do with educational background and more to do with enviroment in my opinion.

What method do you use , exercise that makes communication better with you ??

Thanks My brother

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back