Black People : Essence Hires White Fashion Director

MsInterpret

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Apr 21, 2007
8,783
5,420
Washington
Essence Hires White Fashion Director, Leaves Loyal Readers Asking Why

?I feel like a girlfriend has died.? ? Michaela Angela Davis

On Friday evening, cultural critic and writer Michaela angela Davis tweeted: ?It is with a heavy heavy heart I have learned that Essence magazine has engaged a white fashion director, this hurts, literally, spiritually.? Michaela?s tweet erupted a series of reactions, re-tweets, and scores of Facebook comments. Responses ranged from shock, disappointment to utter confusion.

In 2000, media giant Time Warner acquired 49 percent of Essence Communications Partners, and in 2005, the conglomerate purchased the remaining 51 percent. The news was met with a strong contention by the Black community who viewed the transaction as yet another Black business takeover. Time Warner?s purchase of the beloved Essence brand came on the heels of Viacom?s acquisition of Black Entertainment Television.

Essence announced it?s search for a Fashion Director in March after Agnes Cammock left the post several years before. The print?s latest Fashion Director was celebrity stylist Billie Causieestko, who had a brief stint with the magazine lasting less than a year. No information released on why Causieestko no longer holds the spot.

The company has yet to officially announce the new hire. However, media industry site Media Bistro released an article on Monday revealing the pick is Ellianna Placas, formerly of O: The Oprah Magazine and US Weekly. The report confirms Placas will make her official debut with Essence in their 40th anniversary commemorative issue in September. According to the brand?s announcement, the Fashion Director is responsible for developing and conceiving five to seven fashion stories and one feature per month. The position also requires the person to communicate the ?Essence style mission on sales calls and represent the brand on television? among other managerial tasks.

SOURCE: http://clutchmagonline.com/lifecult...ion-director-leaves-loyal-readers-asking-why/

 

Ankhur

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Oct 4, 2009
14,325
2,954
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
Essence Hires White Fashion Director, Leaves Loyal Readers Asking Why

“I feel like a girlfriend has died.” – Michaela Angela Davis

On Friday evening, cultural critic and writer Michaela angela Davis tweeted: “It is with a heavy heavy heart I have learned that Essence magazine has engaged a white fashion director, this hurts, literally, spiritually.” Michaela’s tweet erupted a series of reactions, re-tweets, and scores of Facebook comments. Responses ranged from shock, disappointment to utter confusion.

In 2000, media giant Time Warner acquired 49 percent of Essence Communications Partners, and in 2005, the conglomerate purchased the remaining 51 percent. The news was met with a strong contention by the Black community who viewed the transaction as yet another Black business takeover. Time Warner’s purchase of the beloved Essence brand came on the heels of Viacom’s acquisition of Black Entertainment Television.

Essence announced it’s search for a Fashion Director in March after Agnes Cammock left the post several years before. The print’s latest Fashion Director was celebrity stylist Billie Causieestko, who had a brief stint with the magazine lasting less than a year. No information released on why Causieestko no longer holds the spot.

The company has yet to officially announce the new hire. However, media industry site Media Bistro released an article on Monday revealing the pick is Ellianna Placas, formerly of O: The Oprah Magazine and US Weekly. The report confirms Placas will make her official debut with Essence in their 40th anniversary commemorative issue in September. According to the brand’s announcement, the Fashion Director is responsible for developing and conceiving five to seven fashion stories and one feature per month. The position also requires the person to communicate the “Essence style mission on sales calls and represent the brand on television” among other managerial tasks.

SOURCE: http://clutchmagonline.com/lifeculture/feature/essence-hires-white-fashion-director-leaves-loyal-readers-asking-why/

White folks own it therefore they can do as they please

In 2000, Time Inc. purchased 49 percent of the magazine, buying the remaining 51 percent in a deal reported to be worth $170 million in US dollars. In 2008
 

cherryblossom

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Feb 28, 2009
19,187
5,505
Essence and JET have had their time.


It's the end of an era, the death of an age.
 

Ankhur

Well-Known Member
MEMBER
Oct 4, 2009
14,325
2,954
Brooklyn
Occupation
owner of various real estate concerns
Essence and JET have had their time.


It's the end of an era, the death of an age.
Darn Skippy!!

Johnson worked hard to establish what he did and inspire others, now it's time for some new blood, but with some cyber savy cause mag and nwspaper sales are plummeting
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black People : When You Do Not Know What God The Divine Essence , The Greater Good Is, Then You Are Not Qualified To Reference God In Anything You Say Or Do!!! Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Miss USA, Miss Teen USA and Miss America are all black women. This 'Essence' cover honors the monumental moment Black Entertainment 0
Perfection Black People Politics : ╟ѕтυdιeѕ in Aƒrican Traditional Ɽeligion╢Regaining Our African Aesthetics and Essence Black People Politics 0
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : love is the mere essence of my inner existence learn to shun its resistance Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
macoo Black Muslims : The essence of the facts Islam Study Group 56
HODEE Black Poetry : The essence of each others heart Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
Nahshon Black Poetry : Chocolate Essence Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Black Entertainment : Jada Pinkett-Smith Asks If Essence Magazine Should Feature White Women On The Cover Black Entertainment 2
Kemetstry Black Entertainment : HAS ESSENCE LOST ITS BLACKNESS? Black Entertainment 9
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : The Ei, The Ai, and The Eye Of The Divine Essence, Universe, And The Physical Beings Chief Elder Osiris 0
ru2religious Black Spirituality Religion : Spiritual Essence of our modern dance... Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
river Black Women : Those of You Who Read Essence Magazine Black Women 5
4 Black Poetry : The Essence of Thy Beauty Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
G Black People : Hymn To Osiris --PRAISE TO THE GOD ESSENCE Black People Open Forum 2
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : The essence of all the religions is one and the same Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
L Black Spirituality Religion : The definition of Soul, at the Crossroads: the angelic essence of the African America Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 12
King Tubbs Black Entertainment : Roy Innis Alarmed by Quote of Kanye West in December 2006 Issue of Essence Magazine Black Entertainment 6
Sekhemu Black Spirituality Religion : The Divine Essence in Your Name Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : The essence of Gita Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : Datta Datta Swami alone can give the total essence of all those three divine preacher Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Q. Where Does The Female Essence of Spirituality Exist" Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 14
$$RICH$$ Quiet Poetry Lounge : ESSENCE OF LOVE Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
K Black People : The Essence of Success Black People Open Forum 3
S Black Poetry : The Essence Of My Blackness Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
M Milanin is the Essence of G-d Black Health and Wellness 2
dattaswami1 Black Spirituality Religion : ESSENCE OF JESUS PREACHING --- MEANING OF SAVING Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Isaiah Black People : BREAKING DOWN GOD'S ESSENCE - WOOOO... Black People Open Forum 12
D Black Haiku : time is of the essence Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 13
D Black Haiku : essence Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
I Black Poetry : Essence of A Queen Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
Keita Kenyatta Black Relationships : THE ESSENCE OF LOVE PT. 1. Black Relationships 1
Keita Kenyatta Black People : the essence of love Black People Open Forum 0
K African American History Culture : Is Essence Mag African? African American History Culture 9
daroc Black Poetry : my essence... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
MzBlkAngel Black Poetry : Essence by $$RICH$$ & ANGEL Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 17
O Black Poetry : Dreaming In The Essence Of Reality... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
Lips2yours Black Poetry : "Essence Of Serenity" Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
A Black Poetry : Essence of a woman pt 2 Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
C Quiet Poetry Lounge : My Essence Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : QUEENZ of Essence I Honor (Destee & Bluewater) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 18
A Black Poetry : Essence of a woman Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
MzBlkAngel Black Poetry : da essence Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
E Black Haiku : Essence Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
A Black Poetry : my essence Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
S Black Poetry : A NEW ESSENCE Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
M Black Poetry : The Essence of Man Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
S Quiet Poetry Lounge : Darkened By Your Essence Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
P Black People : Bush / KKK / Vampire / the essence of Blackness Black People Open Forum 3
J Black Poetry : the essence of life... (4 someone) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
S Black Poetry : The Essence of Intrigue Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Similar threads


















































Latest profile posts

Cheryl Fitts wrote on Destee's profile.
I am looking for participants in a study to share their experiences as former African American males served as ED/EBD/BD in the southeast. Participants ages 18-35 will be interviewed and given the opportunity to express their thoughts, feelings and impressions of their school years. If interested or for more information please contact me directly. Thanks, Cheryl
Cheryl Fitts wrote on Destee's profile.
Thank you for the welcome. I have a question. I am a doctorate student in need of participants for my study. Is it allowable to post a request for study participants. If so, this is the post that would be uploaded:
Let's us all remember in 2021 to protect our energy and to do the best we can to grow and evolve.
Queen Destee im back still showing lo e after what 20+ yrs? You know always stop through from time to time
Destee wrote on rhymebad's profile.
@rhymebad ... i love you ... :love: ... what was going wrong about polls and being blocked and stuff?
Top