Pan Africanism : Equatorial Guinea accuses Spain of Coup attempt!!

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by panafrica, Jun 29, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Equatorial Guinea's president believes that Spain (the former colonial rulers of the country) was being a coup attempt in March. The failed coup was a mercenary force made up of European soldiers. E. Guinea after being ignored by much of the world, has suddenly become an area of interest for America & Europe due to large discoveries of Oil & Natural Gas. Despite its connections to Spain, Equatorial Guinea's Oil mostly goes to the United States & France. Here is a link to the article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3812185.stm

2. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
  3. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    The Equatorial Guinea Coup plot thickens! Now, it appears that the cunning British may have had their hands in the attempt (why I'm I not surprised?), through Sir Mark Thatcher—the son of former British Prime Minister Baroness Margaret Thatcher. It appears that Africa's imperialist powers continue to engage their age old game of destabilization and trickery with the continent.

Take a look:

http://www.worldpress.org/feed.cfm?...ml&sSheet=/portal/2004/08/25/ixportaltop.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3599510.stm

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Thanks for the update brother Chukwuemeka! I suspect that many countries will want their hands in this plot. With new oil discoveries almost monthly coupled with a moronic leader, this country is a virtual gold mine. This trial should be interesting.

5. Cushxone

Cushxone Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Here we go again with white mercenaries meddling in the internal affairs of African nations. And people wonder why African countries are so disorganized. Blood sucking imperial westerners think Africa is a playground for thier dirty deeds.

The more I see malicious attempts by westerners to disrupt economic stability of foreign nations for their benefit the more I understand why North Korea and Iran want the bomb. Because the only thing the US and Europe respect is power. Peace through strength. Africa will not have peace and respect until she has strength. Only if African leaders lived by this creed.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Welcome to Destee.com Cushxone! I hope you enjoy your time here, and eventually consider becoming a premium member. To address your comment: In reality the majority of African countries continue to be tied to thier former imperial powers, because they lack the economic independance to go with their political independence (a system called neo-colonialism). Equatorial Guinea is a special case because the president of the country (Teodoro Obiang Nguema) has pretty much severed ties with the country's former colonizer, Spain. However while ties with Spain has pretty much been severed, the country remains tied to Europe (France), and the United States.

This country is one of extreme importance & interest to me because it is my wife's ancestorial homeland. Although I am loathe to back any coup attempts, in this case the President is a mad man, who I wouldn't mind leaving. Indeed my in laws had to flee the country in the 1970s because of the mass assassinations by this "President" and his uncle, Macias Nguema (the 1st president of the country). Under these two men 1/3 of the countries population has either been exiled (mostly the to Spain) or killed; he has oppressed the ethnic minority of the country (The Bubis, who are also the country's original residents);schools have virtually shut down; the sale of cocoa, which the country's primary source of income (until the discovery of oil in the 1990s), came to a halt. He hold democratic elections, but forces people to vote for him at gun point. Once he bragged that he was GOD and could kill anyone he wished without going to Hell. The people of Equatorial Guinea are living in absolute misery under this man. He is so hated by his people (both the minority Bubis, and his own ethnic group, the Fang), that he employs foreign guards to protect him. No one would shed a tear if he didn't wake up this morning.

All this being said, as bad as Nguema is....there is no guarantee that Europe would not replace him with someone who is worse. If fact it is almost a certainty! If ever a president needed to be removed...this man is it (he is the worst dictator since Mubutu, even worse than Charles Taylor); however, this removal must be from within. Unfortunately the citizenship of Equatorial Guinea is mostly uneducated and too oppressed to properly develop a strong plan against President Nguema. Most of the country's opposing leadership comes from the country's Spanish Exiles. What can I say? The situation depresses me! However if nothing else this shows that Europe is behind many (if not all) of the assassination/coup attempts in Africa. All we see on TV is Africans shooting Africans....we do not see the European hands controlling the situation. Africa will not prosper until it severs its ties to Europe. 40 years after the 1st African countries gained "independence" from Europe...we are still waiting for true independence to occur!!

7. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3590304.stm

When it comes to the Equatorial Guinea case...I am intrinsically torn between combating the evils of imperialist influence on the African continent and the preservation of a sadistic, corrupt, incompetent and evil dictator. President Obiang Nguema is certainly one of the "leaders" that Africa could do without (this goes for just about every other African leader, with very few exceptions). However, having said this, I believe that Western imperialist manipulation over the continent must be resisted at all cost. They have no right to dictate to us who our leaders should be—period. If Nguema must go then it should be at the hands of Equatorial Guineans, and not by the likes of Mark Thatcher and Simon Mann!!!

Yet look, even in the trial of the 14 men in E. Guinea, President Nguema has botched up the outcome of the sentencing. By ruling out the use capital punishment, he has taken the middle coarse which always proves more dangerous to men in the long run. By this I mean that it would have been safer for Nguema to have inflicted the death penalty on these people, so as to send a message to other would be coup plotters of what awaits them if they should dare to attempt a similar thing. However, Nguema—in his foolishness—has laid the foundations for his own down fall. He forgets that those who seek to topple him are very patient and will be even more determined to see an end to his rule. His weakness in not punishing the coup plotters severely, will only serve to encourage evil doers to attempt other outrages on his country, his people, and on his life. Thanx.

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    You know Chuk...Nguema is sick (the rumor is either cancer or Aids), and many of the people are just waiting for him to die. However his son is going to more than likely be his succesor, and he is even worse than the father. The leadership of Equatorial Guinea must be taken out of the Nguema Clan!

9. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes it should...But not by the West or through their African agents.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Agreed Chukwuemeka!