Black People : Environmentalism

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by phynxofkemet, Feb 2, 2008.

1. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    I was writing a journal entry tonight, and wanted some background about the area that I live in. Looking for a map of the area I came across a government map which shows "federally contaminated sites". Well with a term like this I have to inspect it closer. So far I'm reading an "Action Plan" that includes the mandate to
    "to effectively eliminate federal financial liability related to known highest risk federal contaminated sites within 25 years through the establishment of a consistent management regime"
    Hmmm.. sounds like they're looking for a way out of a potential lawsuit in 25 years, or maybe that's just my interpretation?
    Anyways, the research is far from finished, but it had me thinking about the role that we play in environmental protection.

To me it is very easy to recycle as the facilities are nearby and I don't mind sorting plastics from paper. But this really isn't the end of it is it? It's common to find opponents to the claim of Global Warming, people who out and out deny that anything substantially toxic is happening to the planet; and then there are those (myself included) that have an awareness but feel a sense of futility against TransNational Corporations, Environmental Ministers and lobbyists.
    Personally, I welcome the chance to drive the hybrid truck instead of my 1991 Explorer, as soon as finances allow. I'd like it if all new cars were forced to have hybrid engines. In the meantime.... the weather just dropped last week breaking a 100 year record in cold - so no I wasnt' walking!

It seems that my home town has at least 7 major sites of contamination and the National Park that is 20 minutes from my door step has more than I can count!
    The latter is suprising to me because it supposed to be a protected area full of wildlife, in fact it's against the law to pick wildflowers or take anything natural out of the park! And to observe the surrounding, environmental damage appears to affect the bear population the hardest with families being hit by cars and trains every summer making them almost exinct. Now, I wonder if in an area as such where the waters are blue/green and the sky looks clear if this has a mass area of contamination then what of larger urban areas? I remember my initial surprise at some environmental oddities when I travelled to NY and NJ. The river actually had a smell to it and we didn't drink the tap water. But that's just an example for contrast. I've heard that Mexico City is an environmental disaster zone, but I can't confirm because I haven't been.

Anyways I just wanted to know from other members where the environment stands on your list of priorities, and if you are active what methodology do you employ to gain information and to be heard?

2. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Benjamin Chavez.....

Before he was known to have an "accounting ailment" and a fidelity problem with the sisters, and was bounced from the NAACP to the NOI, he was head of a national Black investigatory team that went around the country checking for ;
    1. toxic dumping adjacent to Black communities
    2. Power lines and cables within residential areas
    3. And real estate hustled to Blacks unaware of high underground Dioxin levels.

I have no idea who is in charge of this now, but in a previous thread I mentioned this is one of the problems we must work on because Black leadership has ben delinquent in these efforts.

Now before the internet you never heard about folks geting trapped in or dieing in coal mines.
    And that was basically cause the US never realy used coal until this nutjob got into the white house.
    Infact in his "What a Mess I'm Gonna Leave You Folks" Speech the other day, he mentioned his desire to increase coal production.
    That coal production is not only useless, it is also the worst thing one can do to the environment.

Brothers loosing jobs in Detroit cause the cars are being made in China, but US cars are illegal on the streets and highways of China due to strict emissions standards.
    Was Katrina a direct effect of Global warming,
    or the drought in Atlanta?
    And will these situations get worse this year?

And what about the Mother?
    Please get a hold of the movie "An Inconvenient Truth", made by that idiot who realy won the election but dissed the Black Caucus, by not accepting thier request for a recount.
    he has an EXTREMELY important satelite view of the globe at night.
    You can see the 24hr cities in of Europe and Africa lit up ........but
    IT SHOWS PRACTICALLY 1/5 OF THE CONTINENT IN FLAMES,
    YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS FOR YOURSELF!!!!!!!!
    AND I AM TALKING ABOUT A MAJOR STRIP IN BLAZES FROM ONE SIDE OF THE CONTINENT TO THE OTHER, NEAR THE SUB SAHARAN JUNGLE AND A SIMILAR WIDE STRIP JUST SOUTH OF THE CONGO

WHY ARE WE NOT HEARING ABOUT THIS DEVESTATION AND HOW MANY LIVES HAVE BEEN LOST LET ALONE THE IREPERABLE DAMAGE TO THE ENVIRONMENT!!!!

Now if that is not enough,we all know what the corporations did to the environments in MEXICO with poluted water from rivers and children born with monstrous difformities,
    just think what would be the effect of the US and Chinese corporations on the delicate environment of Africa.
    You already see what environmental dammage China is inflicting on it's own people with it's neocapitalist industrialization, so you can just imagine what they would do to us in the Mother.
    As far as solutions, this is an election year so massive protests in front of Clinton and Obamas headquaters, that would attract the press, but like all of the horrors we will face in the years to come,
    we have to wake up from our complacency FIRST

3. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    thanx for the inspiration

I did see "An Inconveinent Truth" but I don't recall the satellite imagery that you suggested, so I'm going to rent it and check it out again. I think I was so horrified during the first show I kept crying and might have missed some info.

Excellent point about China and what they've done to their own people, never mind being allowed into Africa. It is despicable that Beijing was allowed to host the Olympics not only because of their involvement in the Darfur genocide but China's repressive government and it's historical violence against free speech and thought. I wish our governments would force a boycott by our respective athletes. Even with 100,000 + signatures to petition this boycott no one listened - I think petitions are useless

As far as I can see, it was the creation of money that shifted power into the hands of the WPS, and it it currency that keeps the TransNationals able to function without threat. So, we as citizens can boycott Chinese produced products like Samsung, Panasonic, and keep our money out of foreign investments but is that enough?

I have this crazy idea that if the world's citizens could pick one day out of the year - a work day and everyone collectively agree not to do anything. No work, no purchases, no driving and no use of electricity that it may at least trip up the markets and the profits for 24 hours,
    Thinking from the end of the governments though, I can see an angry widespread retaliation if it was effective.

You've given me a lot to look into Natinr - thanx for the knowledge

4. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    May I ask

Phynx Where are you located?

5. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Why is asthma so predominant among urban black children?

Below is a portion of a very interesting and eye opening interview Oprah Winfrey did with Bobby Kennedy Jr., excerpted from "O", The Oprah Magazine (February 2007 issue)

Oprah Winfrey: Why is asthma so predominant among urban black children?

Bobby Kennedy: There’s a lot of suggestion that urban black neighborhoods are often next to incinerators, sewer plants, and highways, so children are breathing in diesel fuel. They don’t put those coal burning plants in Beverly Hills. They don’t put them next to golf course. The poor always shoulder a disproportionate burden of environmental pollution. Four out of five toxic waste dumps in America are in black neighborhoods. The largest dump in America is in Emelle, Alabama, which is more than 90% black. The highest concentration of toxic waste dumps is on the South Side of Chicago. The most contaminated zip code in California is East Los Angeles. Navajo youth develop sexual organ cancers at 17 times the rate of other Americans because of the thousands of tons of toxic uranium tailings that have been dumped on their reservations.

6. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Come on Bro

One can't dawg the sister cause of her opinion:qqb012:

7. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    What retaliation???

With us spending 900 billion last year on and of the books and the top financial organiztions begging out the of the country for 20 billion to stay a float,
    the only thing they
    could do
    if we had a 100% BLACK SOLIDARITY DAY IS
    kiss our ..........!

:hearts1:

8. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Allow me, if possible, to bring some clarity to this and to expand everyones mindset concerning what I see for the future. First of all, I do want to shock you with the following statements because I'm a chess player and a thinker at times.
    Here are my following predictions for the future....and I'm saying this because I want everyone to understand what I understand the way I understand it.

Will Europeans ever surrender Africa back to us?....Yes.
    Will Europeans ever withdraw from areas that they are presently controlling that do not belong to them?....Yes.
    Does this mean that Europeans will be surrendering their world power?....No.

Now let me go back and explain and you can take this for a joke if you want to but I see what is coming.

First of all, the question has historically been asked; Did the Roman Empire ever actually fall? The answer to those who do research is NO! It simply transferred its power to the church, particularly the Roman catholic church which makes the Pope the most influential and one of the most powerful men on the earth.

Okay, lets get back to these white people for a minute. I predict that there will be a transfer of power on their part also. In other words, for anyone who is really aware of what's going on, there will be a gradual shift in what we call "the Global Power and Economic Structure". I predict that in the near future that "Water" will become the new global power. Whoever controls the water controls the people....pure and simple! This means that you will gladly give me your land, your gold, your diamonds or anything else simply because I am controlling the water. As it is right now we are paying 1000 times the price for a little bottle of water...and generally most of that is tap water. This makes water cost more than gas does.

It takes 8 of those bottles to make a gallon. At 1.00 a bottle that's 8.00 a person pays for one gallon of water....the same water coming out of your faucet at home. In Canada there is already a quiet fight for the last so called natural spring of water that now rest on the reservations up there. In fact, they already have the death certificates of the Indians already filled out. The polar caps are melting. The rain forest is being destroyed...and water is becoming a hot commodity. No one can live longer than 3 days without it before suffering from dehydration. It would take me too long to go into all of this because I am currently collecting research into all of this...but you can take my word....while we are being distracted on other so called environmental issues, the real one....WATER, is the one we need to focus on. Whoever has the technology to purify it will be the champion of world power simply because it is needed for EVERYTHING WE DO...THINK ABOUT IT....whoever controls the water controls the people and nations.

So you let them speak on the plastic and everything else....keep your mind focused on the water!

9. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I like IOKNF. PK it's only 2cent a share,

We still must get our act together to control any resource regardless,
    and will Europe just give up Africa sure they will,
    cause China has the power to out bid the European Union.
    BUT WHY ARE WE STILL STANDING ON THE AUCTION BLOCK 400 YEARS LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:qqb013:

10. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Because we don't know we're still at the action block and because we are the only people on the earth who do not deal with our clear and visible sellouts who work against us for the European.