Black Positive People : Entrepreneur Mychal Connolly: Stinky Cakes

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by cherryblossom, Sep 17, 2013.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

http://www.stinkycakes.com/

[​IMG]

"The best thing about going through all the things we went through growing Stinky Cakes is having such an amazing story to share with entrepreneurs and business leaders!" - Mychal Connolly

Mychal Connolly was named one of America's Top 100 Urban Entrepreneurs for his body of work as the co-founder of the online baby-gift company www.StinkyCakes.com. He was also named one of the Top 40 under 40 in Massachusetts by Business West Magazine. He's been featured in the Boston Herald, Black Enterprise Magazineand INC. Magazine. He has shared his voice on the power of changing lives through entrepreneurship with platforms such as NPR, CBS Radio, affiliate ABC and NBC TV stations. Mr. Connolly currently serves as a board member and spokesperson for Junior Achievement Western Massachusetts.

After neglecting his health while building his brand Stinky Cakes, Connolly became diabetic, with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. This led him to launching a 90 day health & fitness challenge,www.90DaysFromRightNow.com, to help people stay in shape, lose weight and build lean muscle, by giving their bodies the nutrition it needs. Connolly says, "I was so busy making a living that I forgot to make a life. I don't want any of my friends and family members to lose sight of what's most important� their health. You can help more people when you're healthy!".

Connolly decided to author not one but two books to help current and future entrepreneurs navigate their way through the entrepreneurial jungle. When asked how and why he wrote the books, Connolly said, "Sitting in the I.C.U. I realized how precious time is. I felt it could all be gone and so would all the things I've learned and wanted to share with entrepreneurs. So I felt I just had to get the book done!". His books are called Launch and Standout(designed to help people start and market their businesses) and Going Viral Unlocked (designed to help people effectively utilize social media to grow their businesses).

He adheres to that classic entrepreneurial mantra: Give a man a fish and feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.� This lead him to launch Stinky Cakes University, a way to mentor future entrepreneurs of all ages. Stinky Cakes University is website designed to efficiently help entrepreneurial minded people go from concept to reality, while giving them tons of marketing tips and tricks. Connolly says, "It's the 9 year old entrepreneur in me that wanted a mentor that drives me to give back to the people I help!". Connolly was recently awarded the Junior Achievement "Inspirational Award" for his work as a mentor and spokesperson for Junior Achievement Western Massachusetts, www.JAWM.org.

You can connect with directly on:
    Blog: www.MrStinkyCakes.com
    Twitter: @MrStinkyCakes.
    LinkedIn: Mychal Connolly

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

This clip "How I use Social Media" is from Mychal Connelly's "Launch & Stand Out" session at PodCamp Western Mass.

Mychal started this section by stating that he uses social media to create excitement, he showed a clip of a young (little) girl getting excited about a train arriving. He always sets realistic goals, the first question is are the goals achievable. He talked about Groupon asking him to set up a deal in 10 cities. After asking a few questions, they settled on 5. On social media he doesn't want to put something out and have a whole bunch of people engage that he can't keep up with.

He warns about getting caught up in "likes" on facebook, likes can be bought. Engagement is much more important. He shows that his facebook page has 700 or so likes, but reaches over 2000. He recommended Joe Girard's book "How to sell anything to anybody. You get people to engage by creating excitement. Pay attention to what people to talk about and deliver content that is relevant to them.

What works offline should work online. Mychals' customers love to take pictures with him when he delivers stinky cakes and they share it with their friends. If you create unique experiences people will share them. Many of his customers post their pictures with him on his facebook page. Social Media is about connecting with people, not selling.

Mychal has two books, "Launch and Stand Out" and "Going Viral Unlocked"

You can find out more about Mychal at:

http://www.stinkycakes.com/

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stinky cakes