Black People : English - A Bastardized Language

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I've heard this term before, that English is a bastardized language, yet we argue, fight, spend inordinate amounts of time over select words within it, trying to determine what is appropriate and correct.

If in fact it's true, that English is a bastardized language, how can any of us argue so vehemently about any word that comes from it?

It seems we'll reject Negro, the N word, etc., while embracing African, Black, etc.

What is the logic in this?

If the entire language is bastardized, wouldn't that make all of the words suspect and open to interpretation?

We have all seen it in action. What once was a terrorist, isn't a terrorist anymore, but now a freedom fighter. What we thought were refugees, we now find could in fact be any one of us, given the proper circumstances.

How can we justify the time we spend arguing over words, if in fact the language is whatever they want it to be, when they want it to be that?

Is there a solution to this, or are we forever doomed to fight each other over words they've given us?

:heart:

Destee

2. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Yes, this is true...and yet the there are so many words in this language that comes from other languages. This is why I make it my business to learn and speak an African Language.To keep it real, the people in the U.S. technically do not even speak English or Anglish which is the root of the Germain Language. Just as America is founded upon WASP or "White Anglo Saxon Protestants"....which was the result of two Germain tribes at war with each other, the Anglos and the Saxons. They came together under the banner of the Protestant version of Christianity and now we are in that circle with them.

There is even a myth somewhere that England was originally called Ankhland when there was African peoples there. I did not bother to even want to research it. After a particular point in time, I call it "Dream History"...which means that it goes back so far into time in terms of relevance that it tends to be irrelevant to today

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother Keita ... it's interesting you'd determine there is a point in time, where researching history, has no relevance today.

Can you share with me, exactly, or even approximately, where that point in time is?

Destee

4. Keita Kenyatta

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Here's a nice idea...why don't we just learn our own instead of having to argue over his? Which ones? Ther's so many that we need not limit ourselves. In fact, if you were to speak to the average person from Africa you would find that they generally speak four or five African languages, so why should we be the retarded ones on the planet limiting ourselves to english ?

5. ShemsiEnTehuti

ShemsiEnTehuti Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32
    I never heard the notion that the English language was "bastardized" (whatever that really means). However, there are certain words that we just should not use given its etymology, history, or both. Words like "negro" and "ni**er" should be obvious due to its history. I don't like using the word "Black" in any European language either because "black" in the European lexicon is derogatory and constitutes vileness. However, I have no problem calling myself "black" in an African language because the etymology, history, and denotation, as well as connotation is different. Words like kam, kami, lam, and others mean "black", and are used to describe African people to this day in Bantu and other languages. However, there is no negativity attached to the idea of being black. In fact, it was the color of divinity in many cases in Africa. However, in European "black" represents evil, while white is typically reserved for divinity.

Lastly, I have had a growing concern with the word "African". The name comes from when the Roman general, Scipio Africanus, conquerred Carthage to complete the Mediterranean region of the Roman Empire. It is obvious that Africa was thus named after the Roman general. One option is using what the ancient Ethiopians referred to the land as; that being, "Alkebu-lan".

6. Keita Kenyatta

Ratings:
    +3,382

The point in time when you can not give me any information. Information like: what did we build, how did we dress, what language did we speak, what civilizations did we establish, what was our code of living, how did our families exist and live? There is a long list. A list that disappears in the midst of time and mist.

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother Keita ... can you be more specific ... give me a time / date / something like that?

Destee

8. Keita Kenyatta

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Look at your question. To answer that is beyond the point of when our people were keeping time or had created a calendar...whether lunar, solar or stellar. It is beyond that time. It is dream history. Great example: We know that our people were the people who migrated to Europe and were caught in that last great ice age that Europe went through. Okay, when our people were in Europe, what civilizations did they establish? What did they build? What cultural customs did they have? What language did they speak? Before there was an Oriental on the earth, an Indian or anybody but our people, what was the reality? This is dream history. Beyond a date, a month, a year.

9. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    HTP- Peace Love and Respect FAM!

I agree that the English Language is “bastardized” – an Elder of mine once called it a place were the most “perverted” expressions rule. I’ve been trying to challenge Black people especially to “arrest” the English Language by creating word definitions that empower and communicate our thoughts and culture at a higher frequency. That might sound like a project for Einstein, but we are a nation of Geniuses. Especially if we consider the body of soil we all come from and the rich history of languages that are still in operation there. This means that genetically- we have the ability to speak several languages.

Most languages follow the same logic: Tones, harmonics, feelings – they all set the code of what the speaker is really saying. A Female might say to me- “boy- you are so stupid!” behind her tone is the real meaning. She might be joking or being very serious, this is all determined by her “tone” – the container of the thought or feeling. Now if we were to record this using written word, without understanding the "mindset" of the speaker, it would be taken literally.

Language is metaphysical as well as physiological. Currently there is a study called “metaphysical semantics” a linguistic science that tries to understand the core meanings behind the sounds we use.

The English Language is actually a hybrid or soup of many different languages, but I would personally call it the “Conquer’s language.” Metaphysical semantics might be an important study because the fact that we can communicate vast ideas, thoughts, concepts etc, using certain rules of sound is remarkable. But it also helps to create the awareness about why is it possible to communicate using a spoken language? Right now- you are reading, but you are actually listening to your own voice. Some might “argue” that the English Language promotes arguments, because we are often arguing about meanings and definitions- and not necessarily about the “intent” of its speaker.

If Africans in America, were to conquer a group of people using the same English language we all speak now, our “psychology” and our universal codes of human interaction would already be installed into the language itself, and would then be passed on to the people we are conquering. If we were to visit these people, say 500 years from now, we might find them dealing with the same meanings and definitions and reacting to those semantics the very same way we are. We might find one male saying to the other male: “dog I’m broke”- and because we understand the “mind set” of the “conquers” we know this male is not speaking to a real dog, and he’s not injured. Now if we put into consideration all the conquering, converting (religious, cultural etc) and enslaving that has been going on since Angl-ish has been on this planet, consider all the physiologies/ mindsets that are attached to the words we use- installed into the super-consciousness and metaphysics of the language itself – its no wonder we argue so much.

Love one-
    one Love

10. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

Quote:

"Some might "argue" that the English language promotes arguments, because we are often arguing about meanings and definitions-and not necessarily about the "intent" of the speaker."

Yes, exactly!

Considering the physiologies/mindset that we have been conditioned and socialized within amerika this is preciesly why we argue so much over the smallest of semantical details.

So much that when we read the word of others we do not "hear" what they are saying but hearing our own voice disagreeing with each "fact" that we do not process as coming from our own reference. It is not so much that the other person is wrong but moreso that what they state is not within our own personal reference.

Hopefully we will one day move beyond this impersonal form of interaction with each other.

PEACE

Users found this page by searching for:

1. english bastardized language