Black Spirituality Religion : END OF RELIGION SCIENTISTS SAY

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by dandan, Jan 16, 2007.

1. dandan

dandan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    People’s fascination for religion and superstition will disappear within a few decades as television and the internet make it easier to get information, and scientists get closer to discovering a final theory of everything, leading thinkers argue today.

The web magazine Edge (www.edge.org) asked more than 150 scientists and intellectuals: “What are you optimistic about?” Answers included hope for an extended human life span, a bright future for autistic children, and an end to violent conflicts around the world.

Philosopher Daniel Denett believes that within 25 years religion will command little of the awe it seems to instil today. The spread of information through the internet and mobile phones will “gently, irresistibly, undermine the mindsets requisite for religious fanaticism and intolerance”.

Biologist Richard Dawkins said that physicists would give religion another problem: a theory of everything that would complete Albert Einstein’s dream of unifying the fundamental laws of physics. “This final scientific enlightenment will deal an overdue death blow to religion and other juvenile superstitions.”

Part of that final theory will be formulated by scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider, a particle accelerator at Cern in Geneva, which is to be switched on this year. It will smash protons together to help scientists understand what makes up the most fundamental bits of the universe.

Steven Pinker, a psychologist at Harvard University, highlighted the decline of violence: “Most people, sickened by the bloody history of the 20th century, find this claim incredible. Yet, as far as I know, every systematic attempt to document the prevalence of violence over centuries and millennia (and, for that matter, the past 50 years), particularly in the west, has shown the overall trend is downward.”

John Horgan, of the Stevens Institute of Technology, New Jersey, was optimistic “that one day war - large-scale, organised group violence - will end once and for all”.

This will also be the year that we get to grips with our genomes. George Church, a geneticist at Harvard Medical School, believes we will learn “so much more about ourselves and how we interact with our environment and fellow humans”.

Simon Baron-Cohen, a psychologist at Cambridge University, focused on autistic children, saying their outlook had never been better. “There is a remarkably good fit between the autistic mind and the digital age,” he said. “Many develop an intuitive understanding of computers, in the same way other children develop an intuitive understanding of people.”

Leo Chalupa, a neurobiologist at the University of California, Davis, predicted that, by the middle of this century, it would not be uncommon for people to lead active lives well beyond the age of 100. He added: “We will be able to regenerate parts of the brain that have been worn out. So better start thinking what you’ll be doing with all those extra years.”

http://www.nlaq.com/2007/01/01/no-religion-and-an-end-to-war-how-thinkers-see-the-future/

2. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    I'm actually glad they are going there

I couldn't find that poll in that link. But based on what you're saying I'd love to see them get to that undisputable conclusion. That God, Neter, Allah, Jah, Jehovah, I (the true self based on RUNA's view) and what ever name they want to call it set forth to create our reality. This will more than likely result in a brand new religion that they'll claim (believe) is based on hard scientific facts which has never been attempted before in the history of mankind. Once again redoing what brothers and sisters did in Africa thousands of years ago.

peace

3. MenNefer

MenNefer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Who cons the comical mind of "The Mechanist" with babble encapsulating the parameters set by bourgoise? Who articulates morphemes in syntax with rhythmical dialectical vice -versa .....AUSAR which is me who grunts the primordial foundations that by happenstance enhanced simplicity into eclectic symbols of multifarious electric circum-stance.....inundation........fecundity....field of immovable silence :boring:

4. Edward Williams

Edward Williams Well-Known Member MEMBER

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    Define "religion".

5. silent-ra

silent-ra Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    good question. related to that tho, how would yu define "justice"?

6. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    The term religion relates back to the indo-europeon root 'leg' which meams to collect or to connect and also the Greek 'legein' and latin 'legere' meaning logic and legal' so the men who coined this word intended to express the legitmate and logical connection between things (e.g. God and man, mans physical make up and the earth's physical make up, natural laws and man's laws etc.) Take into consideration that English is a combonation of all of all the above mentioned languages and then some. But the bottom line is the context in which you use it.
    that was my loose tranlation and interpetation from the pages of Maat by R.U.N.A.
    but here are some others

a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality" an institution to express belief in a divine power; "he was raised in the Baptist religion"; "a member of his own faith contradicted him"
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Religion—sometimes used interchangeably with faith or belief system—is commonly defined as belief concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine, and the moral codes, practices and institutions associated with such belief. In its broadest sense some have defined it as the sum total of answers given to explain humankind's relationship with the universe. In the course of the development of religion, it has taken a huge number of forms in various cultures and individuals. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

A framework of beliefs relating to supernatural or superhuman beings or forces that transcend the everyday material world.
    www.modernhumanorigins.com/r.html
    a set of attitudes, beliefs, and practices pertaining to supernatural power.
    oregonstate.edu/instruct/anth370/gloss.html
    generally a belief in a deity and practice of worship, action, and/or thought related to that deity. Loosely, any specific system of code of ethics, values, and belief.
    www.carm.net/atheism/terms.htm

Has many definitions - most of them involve the idea of supernatural agency.
    www.csa.com/hottopics/religion/gloss.php
    Religious affiliation, practices, and views.
    www.albany.edu/sourcebook/app6.html

Oxford dictionary definition (theistic): "1 the belief in a superhuman controlling power, esp. in a personal God or gods entitled to obedience and worship. 2 the expression of this in worship. 3 a particular system of faith and worship." Non-Theistic definition: "The word religion has many definitions, all of which can embrace sacred lore and wisdom and knowledge of God or gods, souls and spirits. Religion deals with the spirit in relation to itself, the universe and other life. ...
    www.ecotao.com/holism/glosoz.htm

System of beliefs and practices concerned with sacred things and or symbols uniting individuals into a single moral community.....
    www.elissetche.org/dico/R.htm

any specific system of belief, worship, or conduct that prescribes certain responses to the existence (or non-existence) and character of God.
    www.summit.org/resource/dictionary/

A cloak used by some persons in this world who will be warm enough without one in the next.
    www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/lit/humor/TheFoolishDictionary/chap19.html

[from Latin religare to bind back, implying obligation; or from relegere to select, distinguish among various elements for the choosing of the best; ponder] In theosophy individual religion of conduct means faith in his own essential divinity as a source of wisdom and an unerring and infallible guide in conduct; an ever-growing realization of that truth, an ever-growing consciousness of one's spiritual identity with the divine in nature; and constant devotion to the ideals thus inspired. ...
    www.theosociety.org/pasadena/etgloss/red-roos.htm

an organized system of faith and worship
    www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/priestly/vocab.asp

The religious denomination of the groom, bride or spouse reported on the marriage certificate.
    www.statcan.ca/english/freepub/84F0212XIE/2002/definitions.htm

A system of ideas and rules for behavior based on supernatural explanations.
    highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072549238/student_view0/glossary.html
    (Latin: religio, ligo, "to bind together") A way of seeing, thinking, and acting inspired by questions about what things mean: ie Where did we come from?, What is our destiny?, What is true?, What is false?, What is my duty or obligation?, What is the meaning of suffering?, What is the meaning of death?, How shall we live? (Ezekiel 33:10)
    www.nmhschool.org/tthornton/world_religions_working_definiti.htm

beliefs and actions related to supernatural beings and forces.
    www.geocities.com/brianmyhre/12Def.htm

the collective customs and traditions of a body of people that have form an organization or an institution to pursue the study of a specific spiritual teaching or belief.
    www.exit109.com/~apg/glossary.htm

A system of thinking that recognizes a supersoul and performs some sort of adoration of that supersoul.
    www.angelfire.com/pa/ebrownle2/gloss.html

The state religion was run by paid priests and priestesses and was based around rituals performed at elaborate ceremonies in front of temples. State worship focussed on Roma, the goddess of Rome, other gods and, during the Empire, deified dead emperors.
    myweb.tiscali.co.uk/temetfutue/glossary/glossaryR.htm

the service and worship of God or the supernatural
    www.hyperhistory.net/apwh/dictionary/MiddleEast.htm

is the service and worship of God or the supernatural or the commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance. Religion might also be defined as scrupulous conformity to a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices. Finally, religion may be a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.
    home.comcast.net/~ewhiteside/truth/definitions.html

A man's expression of his acknowledgement of god.
    www.godonthe.net/dictionary/r.html

is many following the inspiration of one enlightened person; is following other's spiritual experience as adopted by us Spirituality is each one seeking his own illumination. Spiritual life is one's own inner experience.
    www.gurusoftware.com/GuruNet/AurobindoMother/AurobindIdeas/Terminology.htm

a set of beliefs, values, and practices based on teachings of a leader; a belief in God

7. Edward Williams

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    And that is primarily the reason I asked you for your definition so that I'll have a reference when I talk to you in this conversation. In other words what are we (you and I) talking about? This is how to get understanding. Very simple. If you want to give me someone else's definition of religion I'll have to have this conversation with them. If i have it with you using someone else's definition we are going to have confusion.

I know we haven't been taught this is the case but this is really the way to get to the truth and also get to understanding of what each other are talking about.

8. silent-ra

silent-ra Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Brotha Williams I was wondering if yu could respond to the question I posed to you as to what is your definition of "justice" is?

9. Edward Williams

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    Justice.

Sorry for the delay.

10. silent-ra

silent-ra Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    no problem on the delay.

now this definition yu gave. is this yors or Neely Fuller's?