Black Money Business Jobs : Employers! What are tips you can give to job seekers?

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by MsInterpret, Sep 14, 2011.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    A lot of people on here have said that they are business owners, what are some tips or advice you can give to those who are looking for work?

Examples can be:

-What type of Resumes do you look for? Are there certain words, skills, and/or education that you keep an eye out for?

-What impresses you for an interview?

-What things should you say in a cover letter?

-What are some of the turn offs when it comes to applicants?

Etc.....

2. kde

kde Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +188
    What is interesting and disturbing is being in a position to weigh in on certain hiring decisions, and there are no diverse applicants. Additionally, often in the few instances where there are, the prospects are not coming correct - resumes with typos, cover letters with poor grammar, less than stellar experience.

When the economy is good, we have to be more than better. In these times, all bases must absolutely be covered. Shoddiness is not an option, even for entry-level roles.

3. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Even though I'm not an employer, I will give my little advice to those who are having difficulty looking for work.

What works for me to get the interview is my cover letter, and this all depends on the job I'm applying for. I have experience as a Bartender, so when I'm applying for these types of job I always try to sound enthusiastic and outgoing, because I'm working with the public and as a Bartender that's the kind of personality one needs to keep customers and keep them entertained.
    As for experience in like Office/Receptionist positions, I try to keep my cover letters professional as possible and make sure to sound serious and dedicated about the job.
    Also, I always let them know these three facts
    1) I'm dependable/reliable
    2) I'm a hard worker
    3) I'm a fast learner/easy to train

And tell them why/how you are for each one. Don't just say, I would be perfect for this job because I'm dependable, a hard worker, and a fast learner.

Also, I have multiple resumes, each for different job that I apply for. I was told by dad, (who is a business owner), in the past that employers aren't interested in jobs that don't pertain to the job you are applying for. So if I have a resume that is mainly showing the jobs and duties I've performed as a Receptionist I'm not going to send that resume in for Bartender position.

But if you have not had previous experience for whatever job you are applying for, highlight and keep the duties that would matter for that particular job.

Whenever you walk into any job...I don't care if it's McDonalds, dress for success and smile! No shorts, jeans, cleavage showing (unless you're going to apply as a stripper)...First impressions are everything, this even goes for cover letters.

If you can't find a job, don't be picky about the job...If you can't afford your bills, then you can't afford to be picky about what job you want to work at.

Don't give your application/resume to a regular employee...Put it in the hands of the person who is doing the hiring.

Study the company for which you are applying for. I usually do that BEFORE I even send a cover letter and then I emphasize some way in there that I know something about the company. Like, I would like to be with your company because you've been around the Tacoma area for such-and-such years and know you are committed to the residents......(something along those lines)...It impresses them...You can usually find that information on their website in the "About Company" link

Also, retain that information about to company for the interview, because you want to again show them that you know something about the company.

After an interview...SEND A THANK YOU LETTER! Duuuuh!! Don't you appreciate that someone took the time out to interview you?? You should feel lucky!

Ask someone who already works at the company how they got the job. Never hurts.

Well that's my lil 2 cents :)

Good luck!!!

4. kde

kde Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +188
    A major sticking point these days is that most major companies require applicants to apply online. These online systems then screen the applicants for minimum qualifications. If that individual does not meet those minimum standards, then their resume or application will never see a real person's eyes. Automated systems have depersonalized the hiring process, which makes it even more challenging because people's soft skills are not given an opportunity to shine, nor are explanations possible for job lapses or lacking certain skills when a computer is doing the first blush of scanning and weeding people out. Using the right keywords and phrases are important when dealing with systems like these, as is being as accurate and detailed in providing the requested - and required - data.

5. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Also, I have met so many people who don't have a resume and don't know what a cover letter is...Find an organization that teaches people how to write resumes and will help to prepare you for a job. You never too good to learn how, especially if you are finding it difficult to find a job. They can also help polish up your resume. Some places will help for free. Check out local employment agencies, such as the Department of Labor.

Also, get into volunteering...It might not pay the bills, but it's getting you experience...Plus, employers would prefer to hire someone who is working instead of sitting on their butts and collecting unemployment for an extended time.

6. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    If you think about things from the perspective of the employer and present to him/her what you think they would need, you should be ok. As an example, most employers want a drama free, loyal, hard working, employee who understands that as an employee of the company, their basic role is to add to theproductivity and profitability of the company. They should demonstrate that they understand the mission, goals, and function of the company, what their specific role in that mission, those goals, and objectives would be.

Businesses are egar to get consiencious people who clearly understand the objectives of the company and how they can help the company reach those objectives. As an example, if a potential mechanic told me "I understand that your business is relatively new and that you are in the process of building a clientele, establishing trust and forging long term relationships while maintaining profitablilty, customer satisfaction and loyalty. I can help you reach those objectives by _____ ______ _______. " I would be drowling at the mouth to get that mechanic as an employee.

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    That pretty much sum it up and true they want to know how you can help
    them grow and make money

but every company HR department will look at other things as well
    this may sound unreal but they look at your hand writing /how you dress
    your first impression while your resume speaks strong in person on a enterview
    you say something else .....

Never talk too much and always speak to be heard

Always show a friendly smile like a people person

Never build a resume and over do it as well leave gaps and holes
    between jobs not good

8. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    What you say is true. In my case, I am my companies HR department. The closer the person making the hiring decision is to the checkbook, the more important the "how you can help me grow and make money" question becomes.

9. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

Just a couple of tips on building self confidence:

1) Try to learn as much about the company that you will be interviewing for.

a. A day or two before the interview, if you can, show up around lunch time and go to their cafeteria as if you already work their, if possible and order something and feel the vibe and listen.
    b. If you have a car, drive to the job site and park in their lot as if you work their already.
    c. If you don't have a car, try to get a picture of the place if you can and relax in the dark and envision yourself already working there.

2) Write down questions that you heard from your last interview that you may think you got crossed up on.

a. Have a friend repeatedly ask you those questions so you can get the answers down packed and make sure you look the interviewer straight in the eyes while you are answering them.
    b. Even though it's your friend asking the questions, this is not a time for joking and playing. How you answer these questions with your friend is exactly how you will answer them at the interview and you don't want to mistakenly bust out laughing at the wrong time. Trust me, it has happened!

3) Excercise in the upcoming days before the interview.

a. Go jogging, or bike riding. These are two very good excercises that help maintain your focus.
    b. If you are unable to do that (or think you are), then try doing some simple stretching around you home. Stretching is good for blood circulation and good circulation can improve memory, energy and just make you feel better.

4) Food. Very important.

a. Try not to eat too heavy the night before the interview. You don't want to be trying to keep yourself from yawning while the interviewer is talking.
    b. If at all possible, fast the day before and only break-fast after the interview is over. It will also help your focus tremendously believe it or not. (dang, info always talking this fastin' stuff) lol
    c. If you have a juice bar in your area, it would be good to have one of your favorite juices for dinner instead of solid food. Come the morning you will be ready to flow, then ready to go with a burst of energy you probably haven't felt in a long time.... Thus feeling good about yourself!

- I meditate that any, or all of this helps someone in their search for elevation....

peace

10. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Who you know is just as important (and can be more important) than what you know.

I've been hired and aided in the hiring of others based on personal contacts.